Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Genographic Project by National Geographic

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Participants like you have helped us improve our understanding of the human genome so that we can now analyze at a more detailed level than when the project first began. As a result, the analysis stage differs between versions of the Genographic kit.

Geno First-Phase participants: Certain chemicals are added to the samples to amplify the targeted regions of the DNA for testing using a technique called polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification.

Geno 2.0 and Next Generation participants: Samples are analyzed using a custom genotyping chip, which contains thousands of microscopic DNA probes attached to a solid surface. Each of these probes represents one position where there is the possibility of a difference in DNA sequence between individuals (known as a single nucleotide polymorphism, or SNP). This fully automated process uses a robotic liquid-handling system for efficient, error-free analysis.

The data generated from each process is then imported into highly specialized software that analyzes the thousands of results generated for each sample. Once analysis is complete, your results will go through quality control before being uploaded for you to see.

Waiting for my results, any day now !! Me and the wife did ours just after Christmas, I think it will be interesting as we should have similar backgrounds from Scandinavia and German stock, however hers should show up native American. Mine may show up something odd I guess as my mum was adopted and knew diddle squat about her parents background, but then its not going to be that specific I guess.

Anyone else participated in this or anything like this, and what does it actually show other than I will probably have a higher than average 4% Neanderthal in me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here