Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton PR department... Wow!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wow indeed.

That strikes me as having been written by the owner or the CEO directly, as the English/phrases don't ring true as to the usual in-house style that you'd see from a PR/marketing person.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They are a mess. Only a change of ownership will sort that out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bizarre:

"*I think the difference is also because fans don't see themselves as customers and {…} they go to the restaurants with their families every week and they go to the cinema but if they aren't satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No they don't, but they do it with a football club and that's very weird (meaning unique) because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club and that's a really difficult balance of how you try and engage with fans and make them, incorporated into some of the decisions of the club, {…}. "

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Written in the same slapdash style as the quotes from their CEO posted by the Charlton fan that posted here a few weeks ago.. Wouldn't be surprised if this is entirely her doing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was written by someone who does not have a scooby about being a football fan. More troubled times ahead for CAFC

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm sure it is a fascinating article... but something distracted me when reading it :blush:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-16-16 at 12.02 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 03-16-16 at 12.02 PM.JPG
    627.7 KB · Views: 789

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Bizarre:

"*I think the difference is also because fans don't see themselves as customers and {…} they go to the restaurants with their families every week and they go to the cinema but if they aren't satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No they don't, but they do it with a football club and that's very weird (meaning unique) because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club and that's a really difficult balance of how you try and engage with fans and make them, incorporated into some of the decisions of the club, {…}. "

It's as if that bit was just the author talking and whoever typed the statement recorded and published it accidentally.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Has our former Chief Executive written that from the grave?

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe there's a special training school for wannabe tetchy, overpaid football chief execs to perfect these feisty, defensive missives, no doubt dictated to some cowering clerical minion in a bunker somewhere. A bit like the opening scene of Downfall, basically.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The old line about them 'not being real fans' is going to come back and bite the author(s) on the bum too. They bloody well are real fans and they care enough about their club to do something about it.

Blackpool, Leeds, Charlton - only the recent examples. There is something rotten growing in modern football and the FL should take some responsibility. If you are going to have a "fit and proper" test then use it effectively and put the rules in place to operate it rigorously.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chris Powell was doing a good job for them but they thought they could do better without.

6th in the Premier League under Curbishley wasn't good enough for some of their fans to be fair.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow. What a pathetic statement. Those owners really just don't GET it do they.

Someone needs to sit those Norwegians down and patiently explain that supporting a football club is absolutely nothing like going to the cinema or a restaurant every week. Football fans are not "customers" in that sense at all. If the restaurant is crap then customers will take their custom elsewhere. If a film is rubbish then there's always another film to go and watch some other time. There is no emotional investment in going to restaurants or cinemas, no feeling of belonging, no attachment, no sense of loyalty. Do Charlton's owners really think they are just providing a product for consumers ? They are just passing through at that football club. The fans have been there long before them, and they'll still be there long after they've cocked off.

They have an astonishing fundamental misconception of what football is all about. All the best to Charlton fans, I hope they manage to force them out and get their football club back.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the thing i dont get about Charlton is that the owner isnt a complete novice to football, owning/involved in 5 clubs apparently. so why so pear shaped at Charlton?

theroyal

May 11, 2014
For someone who hasn't really followed Charlton's fortunes over the last couple of years - can anyone explain to me what the owners have done to warrant such protests?

Shambolic club statement, mind!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"...they feel a sense of ownership of a football club..."

The author is confused between shareholders and stakeholders.

Football fans are primary stakeholders of clubs. The football club would simply not exist in the same way without them.

The 'product' would be tarnished without them attending. This allegiance can't be transferred to another club as they're likely to be the direct rivals.

We remember all too well the Charlton adverts on Hove station. The Albion would have as little success as Charlton did if we advertised there.

It's not about increasing market share outside a club's catchment area

It's about respecting and providing for fans who have been there before club shareholders arrived, and will be there long after they've departed.

A football club is not there for the shareholders alone, but for all of the stakeholders - including the fans.

And with a few globally supported club exceptions, loyal fans attending the games on a week by week basis are what makes football what it is.

Charlton would do well to remember this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here