Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number nine, Ashley Barnes!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Played his first game of the season this week (for Burnley's development squad) after returning from cruciate ligament damage.

Wonder if he'll be fit enough to play any role at the Amex at the start of next month?

Always quite liked Ashley,, even though he had his moments, and I could understand why he frustrated other people. Think we missed him when he first went. Gray, Vokes and Barnes still to come in are great striking options at this level. Hope there's not something written in the stars about his return :ohmy:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Played his first game of the season this week (for Burnley's development squad) after returning from cruciate ligament damage.

Wonder if he'll be fit enough to play any role at the Amex at the start of next month?

Always quite liked Ashley,, even though he had his moments, and I could understand why he frustrated other people. Think we missed him when he first went. Gray, Vokes and Barnes still to come in are great striking options at this level. Hope there's not something written in the stars about his return :ohmy:

WA (last night) ...didn't think Burnley had any strikers apart from Gray and Vokes

Ps bet he's aiming to get a place on the bench for that game

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe we can add him to the list of strikers to be interested in taking on loan with Murray and Ulloa.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
unlikely he will force his way into the squad quickly enough for our game i would think.....escpecially with the run they are on.. cant see him being rushed back

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe we can add him to the list of strikers to be interested in taking on loan with Murray and Ulloa.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I know I'm out on my own on this but I'd rather him than either of those two as well. You know that you'll get a shift from Ashley and that's the sort of attitude we'd need in a promotion run-in

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd like to see a cameo sub appearance (after Gray gets injured obviously) where he manages to trip the fourth official over while coming on and is immediately sent off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

After just the one developmentsquad game, I think our fixure against them may come just a little bit too soon for him to be involved. Prior to last night he hadn't kicked a ball, (or a referee), in anger, for a very long time.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Even now, he'd still walk into this team, imo. We slid horribly after selling him & it set the tone for the next 18 months. Hope he's fit soon - but not that soon

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Even now, he'd still walk into this team, imo. We slid horribly after selling him

In the 2nd half of 2013/14 our form and points per games was slightly higher after he left in January than when he was here in the first half.
Obviously it all went wrong everywhere in 2014/15 but there's a whole bunch of other reasons for that.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Burnley have a plethora of strikers (Jutkiewicz, Barnes, Hennings) and yet always rely on Vokes and Gray.

Jutkiewicz - injured his cruciate in September during a match, s he's still nowhere near match fit and even back then it looked like we were trying to sell him.

Our backup strikers are Chris Long (very young striker signed from Everton) and Hennings. The latter is generally brought on though. So we don't have a plethora, more one untried youngster and a chap who is playing his first season in England.

I've be surprised to see Barnes near the squad yet (I'm a big fan btw), Dyche is very consistent with his team and doesn't bring players in unless they are 100% fit. This approach has caused some concern (there was a time when Boyd was playing poorly but never seemed to get dropped) but we seem to being doing fine!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
In the 2nd half of 2013/14 our form and points per games was slightly higher after he left in January than when he was here in the first half.
Obviously it all went wrong everywhere in 2014/15 but there's a whole bunch of other reasons for that.
He was scrapping upfront on his own without Leo for a significant portion of that, as Oscar mentioned several times. We sold him against Oscar's wishes soon after Leo's return & would've done significantly better than hang on for the remainder of the season with them both together. They certainly looked comfortable as hell in the Premiership the next season

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He was scrapping upfront on his own without Leo for a significant portion of that, as Oscar mentioned several times. We sold him against Oscar's wishes soon after Leo's return & would've done significantly better than hang on for the remainder of the season with them both together. They certainly looked comfortable as hell in the Premiership the next season

you said we slid horribly. except our form improved and we made the play offs.
would Barnes alongside Ulloa helped beat Derby (and/or QPR) etc ? Who knows ?
I'm not doubting he's a useful player, that it was odd to sell him and he's performed well for Burnley in the prem when he's played.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Said it before and I'll say it again. I love the bloke.

I'd give him a big old clap if he were to make an appearance at the Amex in a couple of weeks time.

Whatever team they select it's going to be very tough.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
you said we slid horribly. except our form improved and we made the play offs.
would Barnes alongside Ulloa helped beat Derby (and/or QPR) etc ? Who knows ?
I'm not doubting he's a useful player, that it was odd to sell him and he's performed well for Burnley in the prem when he's played.
Our form improved very slightly, as you said but from where we could've been we slid horribly over the next 18 months as our striking options became thinner & less able. We were far worse with Leo without Barnes, as we were with Barnes without Leo. The former was avoidable & crucial, I feel. We were on the slide well before the Sami debacle

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You just know that if he's fit enough to play, he will score against us. He will certainly celebrate as he upset the Plymouth fans when he scored for us, by doing so.
I loved him and was sorry to see him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here