Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vydra

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought he was excellent tonight when he did get on the ball (not enough if you're a Reading fan.) Seems to be so quick moving with the ball & some class touches. Surprised he hasn't scored a lot more - maybe if we'd got him he would have...?

Had flashbacks of the night he tore El-Abd a new one on several occasions first half. Credit where it's due IMO...

Delighted & shocked when he was subbed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was pleased to see him subbed but credit to Goldson who played him well.

Certainly did BG :). I just don't know if many players in this league who move with such purpose & pace as him - he was much better than I expected tonight as he seems to have struggled a little at Reading..

theboybilly

Just goes to show....I thought Vydra was average at best for most of the game. Reading showed very little intent and stuck rigidly to 2 banks of four defensively without crossing the halfway line if at all possible. Only from about the 80th minute did they try to get something from the game. It was a dull game and for that we can only blame Reading.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Reading fans aren't overly enamoured with him - 2 goals in 22 appearances (one of them against us :facepalm: ) tells its own tale after they shelled out £2m just to BORROW him for the season (plus pay his wages on top of that). Insane money.

That said, I thought he looked dangerous in the first half and was certainly their best forward. There was a moment when he turned Goldson on the edge of the box and would have been 1 on 1, except Goldson recovered, snaked out a leg and just about nicked it away from him before he had a chance to hit it. Absolutely no way would Greer have had the speed to make that recovery.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reading fans aren't overly enamoured with him - 2 goals in 22 appearances (one of them against us :facepalm: ) tells its own tale after they shelled out £2m just to BORROW him for the season (plus pay his wages on top of that). Insane money.

I'd just made a similar point about Vydra on the Who clobbered Goldson thread.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just goes to show....I thought Vydra was average at best for most of the game. Reading showed very little intent and stuck rigidly to 2 banks of four defensively without crossing the halfway line if at all possible. Only from about the 80th minute did they try to get something from the game. It was a dull game and for that we can only blame Reading.

I couldn't disagree more - its more like you're talking about the Wednesday game last week.

Reading reacted well from going behind and actually bossed the game for long spells. We always looked dangerous going forward, but to say Reading just sat back is not how I saw that game at all. They put us under plenty of pressure - just look at the possession stats, and the sheer number of dopey free kicks we were giving away around our box. I don't think 1-1 would have been a travesty tonight at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd just made a similar point about Vydra on the Who clobbered Goldson thread.

I thought that was an astonishing outlay, paying a £2m up front loan fee + salary for a player who wouldn't even be theirs 9 months later. Watford must've seen them coming.

theboybilly

I couldn't disagree more - its more like you're talking about the Wednesday game last week.

Reading reacted well from going behind and actually bossed the game for long spells. We always looked dangerous going forward, but to say Reading just sat back is not how I saw that game at all. They put us under plenty of pressure - just look at the possession stats, and the sheer number of dopey free kicks we were giving away around our box. I don't think 1-1 would have been a travesty tonight at all.

The game against Wednesday could so easily have ended in defeat for the Albion. Tonight, apart from an early effort wide of goal and Stockdale's spill Reading didn't trouble the Albion at all. Possession stats count for nothing.....look at ours under Oscar when we passed along the back four so much. Once we were ahead tonight's result was never in doubt in my opinion. Reading were nowhere near as good as Sheffield Wednesday....well organised I grant you, but very poor going forward and full of nastiness to break up the flow of the game.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Thought he was excellent tonight when he did get on the ball (not enough if you're a Reading fan.) Seems to be so quick moving with the ball & some class touches. Surprised he hasn't scored a lot more - maybe if we'd got him he would have...?

Had flashbacks of the night he tore El-Abd a new one on several occasions first half. Credit where it's due IMO...

Delighted & shocked when he was subbed.

Yep he looks the business, but no end product....especially for 2 mill, plus salary loanee. :shrug:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The game against Wednesday could so easily have ended in defeat for the Albion. Tonight, apart from an early effort wide of goal and Stockdale's spill Reading didn't trouble the Albion at all. Possession stats count for nothing.....look at ours under Oscar when we passed along the back four so much. Once we were ahead tonight's result was never in doubt in my opinion. Reading were nowhere near as good as Sheffield Wednesday....well organised I grant you, but very poor going forward and full of nastiness to break up the flow of the game.

Don't agree with that at all.

Reading could very easily have equalised a couple of times. We looked very nervous and gave away a lot of silly free kicks.

Not sure they were any more nasty than any of the other teams we've played this season. How many bookings were there?

The last half hour of the game seemed to go on forever. The result was definitely in doubt for me until the final whistle went!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought the win was comfortable last evening.

I like Vydra and would sign him in an instance. Glad he was subbed.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I couldn't believe it when he was subbed, particularly as he had just made a surging run through our midfield and into the defence when he was fouled and won a dangerous free kick. I thought he should have done better with that chance in the first half and hit it first time.

I thought he was on our wanted list - maybe we will go in again in the summer - he'd definitely get goals in our team.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He'd probably look better and score more if he wasn't playing for such a TINPOT club.

Where are those Reading fans from earlier in the season who were telling us they had a better squad than us and we'd struggle to finish above them?

Nice to see Reading where they belong in the league, wallowing in irrelevance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's decent at what he does, but he's a very one-dimensional striker. He's QUICK, and that's basically ALL he's got.

Against El-Abd he looked a world beater. As soon as he tried to sprint past Goldson, and Goldson shifted up a gear and beat him, that was him finished for the game. He knew it too, and just went into frustrated, angry mode.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree. Wednesday completely nullified our attacking threat (didn't help that we played Sidwell instead of Kayal) and we had plenty of chances against Reading, but the flip side of that is that I never thought Wednesday would score against us, and Reading had several chances and we were very nervy. I agree Reading were nowhere near as good as Wednesday overall because of the respective defenses, not their attacking play.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's decent at what he does, but he's a very one-dimensional striker. He's QUICK, and that's basically ALL he's got.

Against El-Abd he looked a world beater. As soon as he tried to sprint past Goldson, and Goldson shifted up a gear and beat him, that was him finished for the game. He knew it too, and just went into frustrated, angry mode.

When that happened, I remember thinking how pleased I was that it was Goldson he was up against, as Connor has a fair bit more pace than Dunk. I suspect Lewis might have lost that particular chase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here