Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Republicans unite!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
President Blair/Brown/Cameron/Bojo anyone?

blair-krone.jpg

Thread Closed :p

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
It's good for tourism

This claim is untrue and irrelevant. Even VisitBritain, our national tourist agency, can't find any evidence for it.

Chester Zoo, Stonehenge and the Roman Baths are all more successful tourist attractions than Windsor Castle, which is the only occupied royal residence to attract visitors in large numbers. If Windsor Castle was included in the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions (ALVA) list of top attractions it would come in at number 24.

Research shows that tourists come here for our world class museums, beautiful scenery, fantastic shopping and captivating history - not because they might catch a glimpse of Prince Andrew. In a republic, royal properties such as Buckingham Palace would be open all year round, so visitors that do want to explore our royal heritage would have even more opportunity to do so.

But, even if the claim were true, do we really want the whims of visiting tourists to determine what kind of political system we have?

- See more at: https://republic.org.uk/what-we-want/monarchy-myth-buster/its-good-tourism#sthash.SVfxJUmz.dpuf

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
to be honest most of them would be a good programme for the Kyle show

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It's good for tourism

This claim is untrue and irrelevant. Even VisitBritain, our national tourist agency, can't find any evidence for it.

Chester Zoo, Stonehenge and the Roman Baths are all more successful tourist attractions than Windsor Castle, which is the only occupied royal residence to attract visitors in large numbers. If Windsor Castle was included in the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions (ALVA) list of top attractions it would come in at number 24.

Research shows that tourists come here for our world class museums, beautiful scenery, fantastic shopping and captivating history - not because they might catch a glimpse of Prince Andrew. In a republic, royal properties such as Buckingham Palace would be open all year round, so visitors that do want to explore our royal heritage would have even more opportunity to do so.

But, even if the claim were true, do we really want the whims of visiting tourists to determine what kind of political system we have?

- See more at: https://republic.org.uk/what-we-want/monarchy-myth-buster/its-good-tourism#sthash.SVfxJUmz.dpuf

Oh yeah? Then explain to me why no one visits the Palace of Versailles.

:whistle:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think its a little bit out of date in the 21st century.

The Queen has done a good job and is a nice lady I'm sure.

But to pay for more monarchs in the future, so they can have more staff waiting on them hand and foot, just because they have been born into this German blood line, is quite frankly ludicrous.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm up for some Royal bashing ............................ tonight and for one night only.

The long-running recurring nightmare over the years of Life-President Thatcher convinced me that sticking with Betty (Gawd bless you ma'am) has a lot going for it!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Isn't Prince Andrew good at selling weapons of mass destruction to authoritarian regimes?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm up for some Royal bashing ............................ tonight and for one night only.

The long-running recurring nightmare over the years of Life-President Thatcher convinced me that sticking with Betty (Gawd bless you ma'am) has a lot going for it!

She never let Thatch sit when they had their weekly meetings. Apparently the truth is Thatch came too close . . the chair was somewhere behind her, but too far, and the lady was not for turning . . . .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i like how the first "fact" in the know the fact section is not a fact at all but an assumption. the power of the executive determined by a constitution vary widely. it goes on to say "Parliament can make or scrap any law it likes ", well yes thats the general idea of a law making legislature. and we do have a constitution of sorts, not just in a single document called as such, and one of the parts is an act of Parliament that establishes a Crown. Parliament is capable of abolishing the Crown just as it created it.

i agree with the criticism of the tourism btw, its always been an odd argument. but likewise there wold be little saving from transfering to a President, their office would cost something and things like state visits and tours of the country would still cost the same.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Oh yeah? Then explain to me why no one visits the Palace of Versailles.

:whistle:
Just for the clarity of the hard of thinking, following this tongue in cheek remark:

Windsor Castle - 1.3 million visitors per year.
Palace of Versailles - 7.5 million visitors per year.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's good for tourism

How do they count the number of tourists that come over to try to catch a glimpse of the Queen and watch the changing of the guard from beyond the sites gates? - where does this rank in the list as a tourist attraction, or doesn't it count because there are no official ways to count them? Or that they don't actually go into the grounds so not counted as visitors and it as a tourist attraction?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How do they count the number of tourists that come over to try to catch a glimpse of the Queen and watch the changing of the guard from beyond the sites gates? - where does this rank in the list as a tourist attraction, or doesn't it count because there are no official ways to count them? Or that they don't actually go into the grounds so not counted as visitors and it as a tourist attraction?

Obviously it's a very hard thing to estimate (much like the potential impact of leaving the EU). But I doubt many people would change their mind about coming to the UK because they couldn't watch the changing of the guard... and you would still have parades, pomp, etc. in a republic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just for the clarity of the hard of thinking, following this tongue in cheek remark:

Talking about the hard of thinking, can you please explain to me why republicans love referring to a 10th Generation British Queen as German and use it as an insult? It always amuses me that one. The racism that a large group of people don't seem to mind indulging in.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

the French were always interesting :lolol:

and a lot of the tourists are yanks who love to think its also their history, they love to capture it and hold it as their own, now the Chinese and Japanese do have their own history and are genuinely interested in ours

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here