Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another bunch of public sector employess on strike.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35806743

Quelle surprise!

Why is it you do not hear about private sector strikes very often?

Because the Government isn't trying to squeeze the private sector out of existence?

Or also because workers in many parts of the private sector have lost many of their employment rights and can be sacked for farting at the wrong time?
On the other hand, rail strikes are largely private sector strikes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Because there are considerably less union members in the private sector these days due to the erosion of union power by legislation.

... and considerably fewer manufacturers which were the industries heavily unionised. Where were the strikes in the 70s? Motor industry and the press. The former's gone and, as Vegster has pointed out, unions have lost their clout there

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
and can be sacked for farting at the wrong time?

Sounds fair enough to me.

Mr. Smith, I'm very sorry to tell you that the operation wasn't as successful as we'd hoped. Instead of amputating your left toenail we accidentally chopped off both of your legs anPFFFFRRRRRRRRRRTTT sorry about that, as I was saying, you'll never walk aga PFRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRT. Again AgPRRFT. Again. Sorry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Michael Gove fallout continues...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, they should just accept the erosion of their working conditions I reckon. Stop moaning I say. The Tories know best.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, they should just accept the erosion of their working conditions I reckon. Stop moaning I say. The Tories know best.

Yes, very much this. In other news, quite why a chunky reduction in disabled people's allowances can't be used to fund tax cuts for the wealthy is beyond me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And if we leave the eu there will be no workers rights at all and zero hours contracts will be mandatory
.....oh yes, and don't forget the pound will drop to near zero, we won't be able to buy cars from Germany, we won't be allowed to sell anything to anyone in Europe, the economy will collapse, there'll be plagues of locusts, and - best of all - some of the people who say they'll leave Britain if we leave the EU will actually do it!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
.....oh yes, and don't forget the pound will drop to near zero, we won't be able to buy cars from Germany, we won't be allowed to sell anything to anyone in Europe, the economy will collapse, there'll be plagues of locusts, and - best of all - some of the people who say they'll leave Britain if we leave the EU will actually do it!

We know that won't happen, but with endless right-wing government, especially when Scotland buggers off, workers rights will be obliterated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We know that won't happen, but with endless right-wing government, especially when Scotland buggers off, workers rights will be obliterated.
Well, of course it won't happen - although I'd love the last bit to come to pass! No reason for workers' rights to be further reduced - that's largely a threat to persuade us to vote 'In'.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Indeed no college for Mini today, *******s

larus

Exactly.

In the same way that by not joining the Euro we'd lose out in inward investment , the City would relocate to Frankfurt, etc. Nice to see how that all turned out. Hmm, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy - bet they're loving the benefits to brings to their economies. Another good fact : the Eurozone economy is STILL BELOW the 2008 pre-crisis level.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35806743

Quelle surprise!

Why is it you do not hear about private sector strikes very often?

Because your Government is not waging a permanent war against the private sector, whereas teachers and junior doctors (among others) are constantly being picked on by your bullying Government, which then cheered-on by most of the tabloids (themselves by obnoxious multi-millionaire Tory business tycoons).

Because since Thatcher's premiership, the Tories have thrived on confrontation, rather than consensus; Ministerial diktat rather than meaningful dialogue; coercion rather than co-operation; punishment rather than partnership; promoting divide-and-rule between different sections of our society, with public sector vs private sector being one obvious example (along with skivers versus strivers, shirkers versus workers, etc).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Because your Government is not waging a permanent war against the private sector, whereas teachers and junior doctors (among others) are constantly being picked on by your bullying Government, which then cheered-on by most of the tabloids (themselves by obnoxious multi-millionaire Tory business tycoons).

Because since Thatcher's premiership, the Tories have thrived on confrontation, rather than consensus; Ministerial diktat rather than meaningful dialogue; coercion rather than co-operation; punishment rather than partnership; promoting divide-and-rule between different sections of our society, with public sector vs private sector being one obvious example (along with skivers versus strivers, shirkers versus workers, etc).

Well said Sir

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here