Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear at The Cenotaph.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If Clarkson, Hammond and May were still there this wouldn't have even been mentioned. Controversy for the sake of it by the press.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, if you can't understand doing that next to the National Memorial to our war DEAD then you're a bit stupid. Obviously a lot of stupid people in this world but then we knew that already I guess. There's a guy on the radio at the moment trying to argue it's just a traffic island (yes it's just like the centre of Swindon isn't it?), using giant rats and thunderous traffic to play down (in his tiny mind) that this wasn't anything to complain about. Yep, it's a non event. Normal everyday activity. Except it happened next to the
f ucking CENOTAPH you inconsiderate morons! Jesus wept, does this really have to be explained to people?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm also at a bit of a loss here about all the fuss and fallout over this.

OK, if this happened during a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph then that'd obviously be another matter. But there was nothing going on, was there ? Another story to file under "people desperately looking for reasons to be offended". It wasn't even NEXT to the Cenotaph, they were dozens of yards down the street from it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm also at a bit of a loss here about all the fuss and fallout over this.

OK, if this happened during a Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph then that'd obviously be another matter. But there was nothing going on, was there ? Another story to file under "people desperately looking for reasons to be offended".

I think it's a generational thing and we probably need another 2 million dead from current generations for people to understand why this was crass and insensitive. I mean, why not go 100metres either way? Of all the places to pull that stunt. It was always going to upset a sizeable number of people who believe it's disrespectful. Even if it's a minority. Which it probably isn't when you take out those who don't even know what the cenotaph is which sadly in my view appears to grow with each passing year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think it's a generational thing and we probably need another 2 million dead from current generations for people to understand why this was crass and insensitive. I mean, why not go 100metres either way? Of all the places to pull that stunt. It was always going to upset a sizeable number of people who believe it's disrespectful. Even if it's a minority. Which it probably isn't when you take out those who don't even know what the cenotaph is which sadly in my view appears to grow with each passing year.

Why is 100m ok but not 40m?

Why is this any more insensitive than the traffic that drives past on a daily basis?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why is 100m ok but not 40m?

Why is this any more insensitive than the traffic that drives past on a daily basis?

Because 40metres is a bit odd to use as part of a general argument example?! If you're trying to argue it didn't happen next to the Cenotaph then the associated donut tyre marks are reportedly adjacent to it. Reportedly. And as I previously said, if you have to have it explained...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
fuss? yes. was always going to cause an upset? yes. should they have known better? yep. still we havent heard much about it so it gets in the papers to remind us its coming along soon.

el punal

At the risk of getting flamed, I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

I think it's called respect. The Cenotaph represents the thousands of people who have died serving their country, so not exactly the most appropriate place to do "doughnuts" and other petrol head shenanigans. Bloody hell, there are a million and one other touristy places to do that in London. Unless of course it was done as a massive bad taste publicity stunt. The last word there rhyming of what you might call the producer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here