Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern: Polegate - Lewes Line Restriction/West of Barnham (Possible disruption)

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Apols if fixtures but seems to be a landslip between Polegate and Lewes with an emergency speed limit of 5mph this week. When I look at the National Rail journey planner seems OK, but passing it on just in case people want to leave a bit more time tomorrow night.

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne
From Southern Rail Website:

Amended service between Ashford International & Eastbourne / Brighton until Friday 18th March
A landslip between Polegate and Lewes last week caused some damage to a section of track.
Network Rail, who own and maintain the infrastructure and track on which we run our trains, have carried out works to make the track safe and have imposed a temporary speed restriction of 5 mph.
Ashford International to Brighton services will terminate at Eastbourne.
Brighton to Ashford International services will start at Eastbourne.
22 minutes past each hour Ore to Brighton services will run non-stop between Lewes and Brighton. Please change at Lewes for alternative trains for Falmer, Moulsecoomb and London Road Brighton.
An hourly service will operate from Eastbourne to Brighton leaving at 03 minutes past each hour.
An hourly service will operate from Brighton to Eastbourne leaving at 52 minutes past each hour.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Trains from the east tomorrow night (disruption)

Heads up tomorrow night for anyone coming in from Eastbourne

[tweet]709466657354285056[/tweet]

[tweet]709466858164985856[/tweet]

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Not sure if the National Rail Equiries website has been updated with a) the amended timetable (land slip) or b) the 'usual match day service' (as per the pre-match brief email), but it's showing only a sporadic Brighton to Falmer service and the first train back after the game isn't until 2200.

Southern are being their usual helpful selves in trying to get info out of them, the club not much better.

theboybilly

Not sure if the National Rail Equiries website has been updated with a) the amended timetable (land slip) or b) the 'usual match day service' (as per the pre-match brief email), but it's showing only a sporadic Brighton to Falmer service and the first train back after the game isn't until 2200.

Southern are being their usual helpful selves in trying to get info out of them, the club not much better.

The club can only put out the info provided by Southern/Network Rail unfortunately. Best advice is to give yourself at least an extra half an hour to get to the ground, but I don't think thingss will be too bad tomorrow night

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
From Eastbourne to Falmer
18.01 Direct
18.31 Change Lewes
18.48 Change Lewes
19.05 - arrive 19.37 Direct

Falmer to Eastbourne

22.13 Change Lewes
22.43 Change Lewes
23.15 Direct

Seaford and Lewes shuttle train no affected

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Sorry for the editing of title, but as a heads up for those heading West, the last train heading further west than Barnham is the 2203 from Brighton, terminating at Chichester. After that, it's buses from Barnham.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
From Eastbourne to Falmer
18.01 Direct
18.31 Change Lewes
18.48 Change Lewes
19.05 - arrive 19.37 Direct

Falmer to Eastbourne

22.13 Change Lewes
22.43 Change Lewes
23.15 Direct

Seaford and Lewes shuttle train no affected

I get those results too which ar basically the normal service, but on the front page of Southern Rails website it says EBN to BTN trains hourly at 3 minutes past the hour - for the duration of these emergency works. So either I am being very thick (possible) or they haven't bothered updating their online timetables.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
From Southern Rail's Twitter

Amended service between Ashford International and Eastbourne / Brighton until the end of service on Friday 18 March

A 5 mph emergency speed restriction has been put in place between Polegate and Lewes as a result of embankment subsidence. Because of this an amended timetable will operate between Ashford International and Eastbourne / Brighton.

Services between Ashford International / Hastings and Brighton will start / terminate at Eastbourne and will call additionally at Hampden Park

Some services between Ore / Eastbourne and Brighton will not call at Falmer, Moulsecoomb or London Road

Services between Polegate and Lewes may be delayed by up to 15 minutes

An hourly service will operate between Eastbourne and Brighton at 03 minutes past each hour and at 52 minutes past each hour between Brighton and Eastbourne

You can follow this incident using the hashtag #Polegate

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I get those results too which ar basically the normal service, but on the front page of Southern Rails website it says EBN to BTN trains hourly at 3 minutes past the hour - for the duration of these emergency works. So either I am being very thick (possible) or they haven't bothered updating their online timetables.

I guess because it only affects the Eastbourne line from Lewes so trains from Brighton using the Seaford line will be unaffected, running as normal?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Indeed just come over and you are right. Seems no direct trains from Eastbourne all change at Lewes for the Seaford shuttle.

It looks like the 6.55 Polegate train is direct to Falmer, not change at Lewes

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My god it was painful last night going east. Strange they can manage to get loads of trains going west but only 2 an hour going east. Two nightmare trips home in two weeks, although last week was car drivers who cant drive in the rain fault rather than SR.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
My god it was painful last night going east. Strange they can manage to get loads of trains going west but only 2 an hour going east. Two nightmare trips home in two weeks, although last week was car drivers who cant drive in the rain fault rather than SR.

It was crap wasn't it? when it works its great, when it doesn't it's dreadful.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was crap wasn't it? when it works its great, when it doesn't it's dreadful.

To be fair though we have had the worst two weeks in a row since the Amex opened, even when we have the delays for the "specials" train for Millwall and Palace it wasn't a major problem like last night

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I was lucky last night. Managed to get on the 10.13 to Lewes, and the London train was waiting at Platform 1 but there were only seconds to spare.

The stupid thing is that they announced on the train from Falmer to Lewes that the London train will be leaving platform 1 at Lewes in 2 minutes ............ we were about 3 minutes from Lewes at the time. Talk about winding up the commuters. Luckily they held it for several minutes.

As others have said, travel after the games is pretty good and it only seems to be the odd occasion now that there is an issue. With Southern as our operator we cannot expect too much to be honest.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I was lucky last night. Managed to get on the 10.13 to Lewes, and the London train was waiting at Platform 1 but there were only seconds to spare.

The stupid thing is that they announced on the train from Falmer to Lewes that the London train will be leaving platform 1 at Lewes in 2 minutes ............ we were about 3 minutes from Lewes at the time. Talk about winding up the commuters. Luckily they held it for several minutes.

As others have said, travel after the games is pretty good and it only seems to be the odd occasion now that there is an issue. With Southern as our operator we cannot expect too much to be honest.

I have given up going to Lewes to get back to London, it's just too stressful especially as the last direct train is 22:40. That short stretch between Falmer and Lewes must be the slowest journey in the country.

I left from WSU on the final whistle and even though it seemed like I was queuing for ages still managed to get on the 22:00 back to Brighton where I had the choice of the Gatwick Express or the Bedford trains and was in Victoria by 23:20. I have even been lucky enough on a couple of occasions to get the 22:05 Bedford train.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
...last week was car drivers who cant drive in the rain fault rather than SR.

It wasn't much better for car drivers, if my evening was anything to go by.

I live near Preston Park and left at 6.30 to get to the Lewes Road park and ride - I think a decent amount of time. Nope: both Lewes Road sites were full by then. So after a slow crawl onto the Falmer Road to the racecourse, just about made kick-off. And no, the buses and trains really aren't any better; I've been bitten by that before. This is from within Brighton and not exactly a place that you'd think it would be tricky to get to Falmer from.

Then afterwards, straight out after the final whistle...to stand waiting for a bus until about 10.20pm. Didn't bother me or the missus too much but we were surrounded by kids, older people, all of us bloody freezing. Having just missed the first group of departures, of course you stand and wait for them to come back. For AGES. Just another 2-3 more buses per P&R site and everything would move a lot more quickly but we do seem too tight-fisted to pay for them.

I don't ever wonder - not for one single second - why a beautiful stadium is only 2/3rds full while we're sitting second in the table and the team is generally a joy to watch: a) tickets are far too expensive for non-season ticket holders and b) transport to and from the ground can be, frankly, dire enough to put people off.

Anyway, sorry to rant, thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here