Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, Kane and Vardy are the PL top scorers......

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What is the betting though that Rooney will play up front for England in the Euros? I really think it is time for Rooney to be dropped to the bench as he has done nothing at tournaments since 2002.

Would you play Kane and Vardy up top?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
He is captain and pretty sure that Roy has said he has to start if fit. I don't agree with it unless it is playing behind one or both of the above and even then I would be uneasy with it

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Blah blah experience, blah blah great example to young players (!), blah England captain, blah blah goalscoring record blah.

Yes I'd drop him.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rooney spent force now after carrying all those expensive foreigners on his shoulders for so long

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
You could fit in Rooney playing CM or CAM eg:

Vardy - Kane
Sterling - Rooney - Oxlade-Chamberlain
Alli
Rose - Stones - Smalling - Clyne
Hart

But if he was to start he would be as a striker for England I think, meaning one of those two and Sturridge/Welbeck would miss out.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Of course Rooney shouldn't play in front of Vardy and Kane, its not like we've done well when he has played. I bet he bloody well does, probably with Sturridge as he plays for Liverpool and then Welbeck will come on as a sub as he plays for Arsenal

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Vardy - Kane
Alli
Hart

But if he was to start he would be as a striker for England I think, meaning one of those two and Sturridge/Welbeck would miss out.

I would want to be playing alli in that attacking midfield position, he's been brilliant for Spurs there. There just isn't room for Rooney, he's third choice now and should get used to it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Doesn't it depend more on what system we play! Vardy relies on quick counter attacking but I'm not sure England will want to play that way. Kane is probably more likely to figure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Vardy, Kane, (a fit) Sturridge should all be ahead of him up front, on current form.

I hope he resists the obvious temptation to play him attacking midfield / behind a striker - Dele Alli should be nailed on for that spot, if it exists.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
GLad there is a consensus, I just do not see where Rooney fits in OR that he deserves it. Great player to have on the bench though if you need a goal.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I would want to be playing alli in that attacking midfield position, he's been brilliant for Spurs there. There just isn't room for Rooney, he's third choice now and should get used to it.

I agree, but it's the only place other than striker I suggest he could play. Even then there are Alli, Barkley and Lallana who are better there than he is.

Oct 25, 2003
What is the betting though that Rooney will play up front for England in the Euros? I really think it is time for Rooney to be dropped to the bench as he has done nothing at tournaments since 2002.

Would you play Kane and Vardy up top?

I'm trying so hard not to be a pedant but I've failed.....it was 2004

I apologise

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
As far as I'm concerned, the Alli/Kane partnership is a must start, those two have played so well together all season that it would be nigh on criminal to leave either of them out.

Vardy has scored plenty of goals and has been a huge part of Leicester taking the top league by storm this season, but Kane is a footballer with greater technique, ability and potential. Vardy I think will get and is well deserving of a place on the bench ready to come on and stretch defences toward the end of games with his tremendous pace and workhorse like attitude.

I think that on his day, Wayne Rooney can be magical and do things on the pitch that most other players can only dream of, but the problem is that those days are mostly behind him now and he's very much a shadow of the player he could have become had he the dedication of someone like Ronaldo.

Rooney will 100% start every game at the Euros. This is not because he is undroppable or anything like that, but because Hodgson has played with a system that has served him well and Wayne is part of that system. I think (or at least, I hope) after the Euros, Roy will recognise that Rooney is waning (although I'm sure he is probably aware of this already) and will start to give more game time to Kane as he is surely England's next number 9.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Vardy - Kane
Alli
Hart

I wouldn't play Oxlade & Chamberlain in the same side, they're too similar

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd have Rooney in the Euro 2016 squad. After that is another matter.

I understand that Roy Hodgson could be an unwitting supporter of the BREXIT campaign, as we should be leaving Europe by June 23rd...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Not interested in all this experience rubbish as we've had that for decades and done jack shite...Time to rebuild and gel a wonderful England side that will one day compete.

Roonys shite and not worthy of being in the squad never mind the first 11.I just want to see young talented players who're the future.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I guess it's testament to how far we've come that we're in a position to debate starting our all time top scorer!

Yes he only scores against San Marino etc....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here