Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The greatest footballer that you ever saw play live

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Easy 10's thread had me wondering who's the greatest footballer I've ever seen live. Back when I was little I remember seeing Alan Ball playing for Arsenal and demolishing Wolves. Liam Brady was in that side too. I saw Stan Bowles at the end of his QPR career and he was still incredible. I watched Jurgen Klinsmann in his prime, demolish Forest back in the 90s for Bayern M. I can't remember if I've seen Bergkamp play in the flesh or not so I won't include him. Ditto Gascoigne.

I was there for Beckham's debut against us and he turned out alright. But the best player I ever saw play and at his peak was Peter Beardsley. I once went to a Charlton Liverpool match at the Valley in the 80s and there was so much room in that sprawling away end that most away fans could be right up close to the pitch where I spent the entire match open-mouthed at Beardsley's style and skill.

And a mention in dispatches for one of my favourite ever foreign players. A phone call the night before, coach, train and coach to Maine Rd where I watched Georgi Kinkladze for the only time. What a player.

edit - just checked up on Alan Ball and think that might be a false memory.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Easy 10's thread had me wondering who's the greatest footballer I've ever seen live. Back when I was little I remember seeing Alan Ball playing for Arsenal and demolishing Wolves. Liam Brady was in that side too. I saw Stan Bowles at the end of his QPR career and he was still incredible. I watched Jurgen Klinsmann in his prime, demolish Forest back in the 90s for Bayern M. I can't remember if I've seen Bergkamp play in the flesh or not so I won't include him.

I was there for Beckham's debut against us and he turned out alright. But the best player I ever saw play and at his peak was Peter Beardsley. I once went to a Charlton Liverpool match at the Valley in the 80s and there was so much room in that sprawling away end that most away fans could be right up close to the pitch where I spent the entire match open-mouthed at Beardsley's style and skill.

And a mention in dispatches for one of my favourite ever foreign players. A phone call the night before, coach, train and coach to Maine Rd where I watched Georgi Kinkladze for the only time. What a player.

For me....George Best

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Maradona. My brother lives in Bologna, so I have seen them play from time to time over the years. He came on at half time for Napoli and inspired them to a 4-2 win in the Italian Cup. He scored twice, and created the other - I think it was 1-1 at half time.

He was incredible to watch, I'll never forget it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
George Best, saw him score a hat rick at The Dell. Easily the best player I have seen live.
Keegan and Dalglish for Liverpool.
For us Peter Ward with Lawro not far behind.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Vicente for us, probably the most naturally gifted I've ever seen. So much class, so much style, ability coming out of his ears. Truly incredible to have seen him in the stripes.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
1.Paul Gascoigne

And then Glenn Hoddle, Jurgen Klinsmann. David Beckham, Vicente and Gary Lineker

Not sure what order I'd put them in after Gascoigne though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gazza v Moldova - 4-0 - 97 I think.

Mentions for Suarez / Sanchez / Vicente / Gerrard / Beckham / Scholes to name just a few...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Glenn Hoddle. Saw him destroy Cruyff and Feyenoord in 1983. 4:0 up at half time. Fantastic skill!

Honourable mention for Gascoigne though. Saw him put three past Shilton in his heyday...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Saw Maradona play for a Rest of the World XI v a Football League XI at Wembley in 1987. Also saw Lionel Messi play for Argentina v Brazil in a friendly at the Emirates. Saw Gazza a few times, outstanding player.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Gianfranco Zola, saw some truly sublime pieces of skill from him , including a fantastic fa cup semi final goal at highbury, a gentleman as well.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Johan Cruyff

England v Holland Wembley 1977. Height of their Total Football period they destroyed Revie's England 2-0 , Keegan, Brooking et al including a debutant Trevor Francis.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here