Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sofas - help!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We are looking for new sofa and frankly the choice of good quality ones is poor.

Our last purchase a few years ago was from Next and although nice to start with the quality didn't last and we regretted the purchase.

Having viewed John Lewis, M&S, Furniture Village, DFS and Next again I am similarly unimpressed.

Any suggestions for good quality hard wearing sofas that don't look good for two weeks before deflating.

Help.

Ps) this is what happens when it's a no football weekend, I get dragged shopping.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My last effort was a 2007 5 seater corner from DFS,still going strong but has sagged one end a little,i think we can get another 5 years from it as still in good nick,was £1200 pounds tho..so reluctant to spend that again or go shopping....furniture village or scs maybe?

Edit: you have mentioned the village

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having viewed John Lewis, M&S, Furniture Village, DFS and Next again I am similarly unimpressed.
I wouldn't get anything from Furniture Village. Got what I thought was a couple of leather sofas from there some years ago. What I think we ended up with was a tiny piece of leather thrown into a blender with some plastic and glue, mixed up and then sprayed onto the sofa. The 'leather' just crumbled off both sofas after a few years, and they went to the tip.

If you want quality, I'd steer clear of the likes of them and DFS etc. For a quality sofa I wouldn't generally be thinking of Tesco Direct, but did get a couple of leather sofa beds from there which were decent value and some years on are still looking good.

I'd generally hope M&S and JL are ok, but I don't have one so can't recommend.

Had some from SofaWorkshop which are decent.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/decorating-ideas/a17492/sofa-buying-may07/
http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/blog/cheap-sofas/

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I wouldn't get anything from Furniture Village. Got what I thought was a couple of leather sofas from there some years ago. What I think we ended up with was a tiny piece of leather thrown into a blender with some plastic and glue, mixed up and then sprayed onto the sofa. The 'leather' just crumbled off both sofas after a few years, and they went to the tip.

If you want quality, I'd steer clear of the likes of them and DFS etc. For a quality sofa I wouldn't generally be thinking of Tesco Direct, but did get a couple of leather sofa beds from there which were decent value and some years on are still looking good.

I'd generally hope M&S and JL are ok, but I don't have one so can't recommend.

Had some from SofaWorkshop which are decent.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/decorating-ideas/a17492/sofa-buying-may07/
http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/blog/cheap-sofas/

I'd agree about Furniture Village, once ordered a leather sofa from them and when it arrived it was already marked and scratched so it got sent back, after some arguing with the store manager and the threat of trading standards.

We then got some from DFS which have more than stood the test of time, still going strong over 10 years later, showing signs of wear now but thats to be expected after so many years use.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Personally I would go to a good old fashion Independent Furniture shop and look at major marques such as G Plan or Parker Knoll.

We had a G plan 3 piece suite which lasted over 15 years and put up with grandchildren. Now have a Parker Knoll suite and after 2 years as good as new.

Luckily in Seaford we have a good independent V R Flowers.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Agree re look at major makes. We bought our last one from vokins at hove which has now gone and it's 6 yes old but doing very well. But it cost a lot of money

Our previous one from courts closing down sale last 6 yrs but was awful really from the 3rd yr

bigtrigg

May 9, 2008
Cambridge ex Shoreham
Go and see Collins and Hayes factory shop in Hastings. They often also have clearances up to 50% off the factory shop price. This leads me to think they would be open to lowish offers vs the ticket price. All great hardwaring stuff and very attractive too. Good luck.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My last effort was a 2007 5 seater corner from DFS,still going strong but has sagged one end a little,i think we can get another 5 years from it as still in good nick,was £1200 pounds tho..so reluctant to spend that again or go shopping....furniture village or scs maybe?

Edit: you have mentioned the village

The wife and I are still using a sofa, bought as part of a three piece suite from Maples, of 1996 vintage, and still seemingly amost as comfortable as ever.

Bit pointless posting this I suppose, as Maples went into liquidation soon after we purchased it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We have a couple of sofas from Nabru available online. Like a giant meccano set great for corners moving etc. All parts replaceable including covers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Got ours from Oak furniture land. Really pleased with it a year on and the salesmen weren't pushy like the other places.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Got ours from Collingwood Batchelor in Worthing and faring well. Certainly feels better build than the usual brands

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I got my sofa from DFS but it was not one of the cheaper ones. It seems to be doing ok.
The 3 seater and chair is mainly occupied by my son and his 3 mates, one who happens to be very portly. I make sure the portly one changes his season ticket seat weekly and i think it has help distribute the wear and tear.
I am more worried about the wear and tear on the fridge door and its contents when they are about tbh.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The good thing about the High Street retailer such as DFS is that they are likely to be around for sometime, so you can have some legal redress if they do sell you a dog, which doesnt happen very often.

Ultimately sofas age due to their style, especially with an over active wife with new ideas every few years, so why bother investing in a top quality sofa, which looks a little silly in 2020.

Has anyone really had a sofa where the legs fall off ???

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My strong advice before buying would be to look in the back few pages of homes magazines. Lots of independent makers and factory shops direct the quality is very good.
Or use an independent furniture shop, we have a sofa bed so we can put people up when they stay over, we got it from Julian Foye who have a few shops in Cornwall, it's about 10 years old, it gets a lot of use but is as good as the day we bought it,
My sister in law is involved in the furniture industry and agrees with me, never buy from DFS, Furniture Village, SCS etc, very poorly made furniture.
I am surprised that a poster is satisfied with Oak Furniture Land as there stuff is not very good either.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I've had a second hand Multiyork one for over 10 years , Still going strong.

I Upholster & would say that Multiyork are one of the better quality retailers out there. If you know an upholsterer then I would recommend you find a good quality chesterfield (padded seat, not with cushions) if you like those & get it properly reupholstered (not just recovered) & it will last you 20+ years & you can always resell it & cover your costs or close enough. It all depends on what you are looking for style wise but it is always better paying a bit more now & getting the benefit of quality & comfort.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Designer's Guild. Bought one for £700 20 years ago. Still perfect. Bought 2 others from Designer's Guild 8 and 5 years ago. Both like new. Great quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here