Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Gilbey

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I went to the Colchester v Wigan game today and the guy, who didn't know I was a Brighton fan, was telling me, after he scored a stunning goal, that his friend who is relatively high up in the Colchester hierarchy said that "them Brighton lot have agreed to sign him at the end of the season" and that he has been their best player this season. It might also be worth mentioning he was man of the match today and is only just 21.

I was surprised when I heard this considering the plethora of talent we have in the middle but perhaps he will be brought in to replace the ageing Crofts, if indeed it is true?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I've watched Colchester four times this season. For a side that have struggled, they have two good, young midfielders who should play at a higher level. Gilbey is a powerful player and is one; the other is George Moncur who has a lovely touch on the ball. Not the worst thing if we sign them both. Lot of quality in Division 1 as Goldson has proved. No obvious strikers though.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
There are a clutch of outstanding players in that league. It's only natural that the Second Division would be their next port of call.

Edit: Or the First Division. ...... (bit defeatist there)

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
His manager has only just likened him to Steven Gerrard! Maybe to entice offers?

Looking into it a bit, his contract is up in the summer. They expect around £300k compensation as he's made it clear he's not signing a new deal.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
His manager has only just likened him to Steven Gerrard! Maybe to entice offers?

Looking into it a bit, his contract is up in the summer. They expect around £300k compensation as he's made it clear he's not signing a new deal.

I would imagine it would be a bit more than that if I am honest as I am told they rejected a 300k bid at Christmas from Bristol City. Funnily enough, searching "Gilbey to Brighton" or something of the like to see if it was a soccersauce-esque rumour the only thing I found was a tweet by an ex-agent from Christmas saying we has expressed interest in him in December before the window opened, apart from that there was nothing at all. Judging by today and the other times I have seen him play he is definitely one to watch.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That's him going elsewhere then, now the news has been released.

He was described as a future Premier League star in the channel 5 goal rush show last night - I think all top two division scouts will be aware of him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here