Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton fans planning pitch invasion to get game called off tomorrow as protest

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
So says this bloke on reddit at least:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/49zryq/what_happened_to_charlton_athletic_and_why_the/

... In an effort to increase awareness, and hopefully garner sympathy from the press and fellow fans, the supporters intend to disrupt Sunday’s televised game with a variety of tactics (not all for discussion here, as we don’t intend to tip-off the authorities). This will, however, include a pitch invasion and mass walkout (on 74 minutes, which is our Goals Conceded total currently). *The invasion was revealed after pressure from the police, as we have had to point out it is a peaceful protest.

In order for this to end, we need Roland out. For that to happen, we have to increase public awareness to put pressure on both Duchâtelet and Meire. We have to make their positions untenable (they arguably already are, yet cling on as though this fuss might blow over).

Many of us expect to be playing League 2 football soon, in front of 1,000+ crowds. We think Roland might try to sell the stadium, move somewhere smaller. There are many conspiracy theories, but frankly, his approach is so nonsensical, it’s hard to say what his endgame really is.

We are hopeful the media will be sympathetic (we are sorry it will upset Boro, we really are). We want attention, a spotlight on our plight. Premier League clubs get more action replay screen time than we get TV game time in a season. We don’t know if the pressure will pay off, if Roland can keep ignoring it But it’s all we’ve got, and we love our club deeply enough to try.

TL:DR Charlton are owned by a cold-hearted billionaire idiot who is driving the club into the ground, and getting him out is the only way to save the club, so we’re going to get Sunday’s televised game called off halfway through and stuff.

I do feel for Charlton's current situation, apparently their current owner is absolutely daft, with some very cringeworthy moments, the linked post provides some highlights:

During a seminar she said supporters were “weird” for loving the club
“All our managerial appointments have been the right appointments!” (they’ve sacked each one ofter six months)
“Roland watches all the games on a private feed!” (No, he doesn't)
“I chatted to a taxi driver, he supports Spurs, and told him about Charlton. He is now buying season tickets at Charlton!”
“I shouldn’t say this, but I really don’t care about the history of the club.”
"We will search and interview extensively to find the right man to replace Bob Peeters" (the search lasted 36 hours, she claims to have interview 22 candidates in that time).
“We are investing in Charlton, the fans forget that!”
“We have improved from last year!”
“I want Luzon to be the next Alex Ferguson!” (He was sacked before Christmas)
"Only 2% of the fans are unhappy, and they're wrong."
Spent 6 months pretending to be interested in meeting our former CEO who had an investment offer to share with her and Roland, cancelling every scheduled meeting before finally admitting she didn't want to talk to him in the first place.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Why don't they support the team and take advantage of Middlesboroughs dire week by cheering their team to victory

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yeah, like we did against York in 1996. Protest gets you nowhere.

http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/04/30/the-york-rampage/

We love the Albion,we care for the Albion,but in the end direct action is the only way..
That game did draw attention,especially that of the FA into the goings on at Brighton,especially the change in the clubs "articles of association" made by the then board of the club..

Charlton i used to think is what us could be if we got up the leagues,fairly established in the top flight..how times change.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
We love the Albion,we care for the Albion,but in the end direct action is the only way..
That game did draw attention,especially that of the FA into the goings on at Brighton,especially the change in the clubs "articles of association" made by the then board of the club..

Charlton i used to think is what us could be if we got up the leagues,fairly established in the top flight..how times change.

I agree. Perhaps my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Whats going on at Charlton is as outrageous as it is bizarre. Feel sorry for their supporters. We are extremely lucky to have such a brilliant Chairman and fan as Tony Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here