Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keith Emerson has passed away

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This year is turning into a terrible year for rock. I always loved The Nice, things like Intermezzo Karelia Suite were great examples of the pomp and flair those Prog bands were so good at, sad day.

http://youtu.be/dpqH-EoAySk

And my nephew is named after the great man too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh my gawd...what is going on!

Another hero had gone.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Isn't he supposed to have gone to Tarring School in Worthing. I could see their playing fields from my bedroom window when I was a boy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never a big fan, always found the Nice and ELP too self indulgent but I appreciate how big and how successful they were.

RIP the man who stabbed his piano with a knife!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Lord above... Awful, awful and unexpected news. I know he'd not been too well, but I had Lake down to go first... Alas it's most definitely been the year that the music died thus far.

Ritchie B: please keep on until I get to see the Rainbow rise once more in June, please God I beseech thee.

RIP Keith, and thank you kindly for the music.

Kosh

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
RIP, legend. :down::bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only Wakeman now remains, of the keyboard Gods of yore....

Jon Lord is still here . . . edit died in 2012 :down:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Family were 'vacuee from Worthing, seems he was born and grew up in yorkshire.

Isn't he supposed to have gone to Tarring School in Worthing. I could see their playing fields from my bedroom window when I was a boy.

I've done some digging, he lived in Maybridge and went to school in Tarring (no idea why he didn't go to Durrington High, it's a lot nearer). This thread also has some other names (Martin Quittenton sparks memories of Roger Quittenton, my old maths teacher at Worthing Sixth Form and presumably a relative of aforementioned)

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8615.0

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
That's a shame. Wasn't he a Lancing lad?

Certainly had a house in Sussex, as in the mid nineties I went to a 'After Zap NYE party' his son was throwing at the family house in Halland/East Hoathly/Golden Cross area.
:rave::thumbsup:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I've done some digging, he lived in Maybridge and went to school in Tarring (no idea why he didn't go to Durrington High, it's a lot nearer). This thread also has some other names (Martin Quittenton sparks memories of Roger Quittenton, my old maths teacher at Worthing Sixth Form and presumably a relative of aforementioned)

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8615.0

Durrington High comp was formed in 1973 , long after Keith Emerson would have left school .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I know exactly how you feel, me 60+. You think of bands/artists that we used to follow back in the late 1960s/70s and still imagine them now as they were then. Same with footballers that you admired. In reality they're all same age as us, if not older. :down:

Jeez I'm thinking of getting my pension early - took it out in 1979 :ohmy:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Durrington High comp was formed in 1973 , long after Keith Emerson would have left school .

Not sure about that. My mum went to Durrington High and she's 70 this year. Whatever incarnation of the school there was back then, there was certainly a high school on one or other or both the Rodmell and Boulevard sites at that time.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Saw Emerson, Lake and Palmer at the Isle of Wight festival for what I believe was their first ever live concert. All I think I remember was Keith Emerson virtually riding his two keyboards during one of their many self-indulgent 'solos'. Good job I didn't do illegal substances back then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here