Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ritchie Towell

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Interview: Richie Towell opens up on his move from Dundalk to Brighton and his Euro 2016 prospects

The morning’s session has just finished and club captain Gordon Greer wanders over and playfully cocks his ear in the direction of the Crumlin man’s conversation.

“I’m just biggin’ ye up here GG,” jokes Towell, who’s 25 goals propelled Dundalk to the League of Ireland title last season.

Already the midfielder appears settled; at ease within the bowels of the club’s hulking facility on the edge of town.

But the second coming of Richie Towell to Britain feels somewhat overdue.

He was just 15-years-old when he joined Celtic from Crumlin United. It was a youthful move that brought the kind of name recognition that makes him feel older than his 24 years.

“I was only a kid [at Celtic]. It was a new challenge for me so I was probably a little bit apprehensive. It’s completely different now,” he says.

His time at Parkhead brought a loan spell at Hibernian before he returned to Dundalk. There, he blossomed under Stephen Kenny’s tutelage, winning two league titles and scoring the winner in last season’s FAI Cup final.

His performances and stunning goal return from midfield didn’t go unnoticed across the Irish Sea either.

The Dubliner was courted by a number of clubs before settling on Brighton.

“Coming here wasn’t a tough decision,” he says. “Obviously, I had offers to go elsewhere and to be fair I kind of had a good think about it and decided to stay in Dundalk because it was the best thing for my career.

“But as soon as Brighton came in for me I had a look at the place, the ambitions of the manager and the owner it was an easy decision.

“If I had of turned something like this down I think it would have been a step backwards in my career.”

However, making forward steps with a settled team competing for the Championship title has so far proved difficult.

At Dundalk, Towell was talismanic but his role in the English Championship since arriving has been frustratingly less than bit part.

“I think the most obvious thing would be the quality in the squad. I haven’t played as much as I’d have liked since I came here.

“I knew that was going to happen. I’m very realistic. Obviously, at Dundalk I played every week.”

Towell celebrates a Ciaran Kilduff goal for Dundalk [Picture: Inpho]
Towell celebrates a Ciaran Kilduff goal for Dundalk [Picture: Inpho]
Sat in shorts and T-shirt, Towell’s warm weather look complements his sunny demeanour. But surely it is being tested by this situation?
“It’s a hard one to take,” he says. “But I know that I have to work really hard, keep trying to impress the manager and keep pushing the lads for a spot and it’s something that I’m willing to do.

“I feel as fit as I have been in my career. I’m just ready to go, I just need to bide my time and be patient.”

If patience is a virtue, then the former Dundalk star possesses plenty. But in this sport and at this level, it’s a finite thing. Another few years and the Dubliner will be well into the second-half of his career.

The clock isn’t just ticking on his club ambitions.

His two season tour-de-force with Dundalk caught the eye of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill.

Only now he’s out of sight.

“To be honest, it has probably been the furthest thing away from my mind. For me to think that I’m going to get called into the Euro squad is so unrealistic.

“As I said before I am a realist. I need to play here first. That’s been my one and only goal so thinking of the Euros would just be ludicrous.
“I have no doubt in my ability, I know I’m good enough to play in the Irish team but I’ll never get called up unless I play here first so that’s what I’m working hard at first and foremost.

“I have one goal and that’s to play for Brighton.”

Such a breakthrough would not be unprecedented for an Irish player at Brighton.

The late great Tony Grealish captained the Seagulls in the 1983 FA Final against Manchester United and registered 45 caps for the Republic. He too was a midfielder.

And despite the lack of game time, Richie Towell believes he’s improved as a player since leaving Dundalk.

“Definitely, I think my knowledge of the game has come on. Purely from listening to other players in the squad and the things that they have been through in their careers.

“These are players who have played in the Premier League. When they are chatting to you and telling you little tips, you are just taking everything on board because they have been there and done it.”

With Brighton now gunning for promotion, Towell is full of praise for the one person he simply has to impress – Chris Hughton.

“He’s really good. Not just his man management skills. But his training sessions. They’re brilliant, every single one since I’ve been here. I’ve really enjoyed them, there’s a great intensity to them, very professional in everything he does and it probably reflects where we are in the League. We are up there for a reason.”

But with the League of Ireland underway and the new challenge he now faces. Is Towell tempted to cut a wistful look back?

“You know, I need to look to the future and not be looking at what’s going on over there. Don’t get me wrong, I keep an eye on Dundalk of course. I speak to all my old teammates because I became really friendly with them so yeah I hope they go on and have as much success as we did last year. I try not to hold on to it. I think that chapter in my career is finished.”

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for that.
I had a look. He comes across very well.
A really positive, driven person. He fully appreciates being here and that he has a hard task to prove himself to CH to get selected.
Hopefully he can kick on and do well for us.
He's yet another acquisition that has great focus and maturity, Goldson being another example of that mindset.
The player recruitment team look to be looking at the players psychology just as much as skill or potential.
CH's BHAFC is all about team spirit and it's no accident that they all get along.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
The manager gave the lad a special mention in his interview on radio Sussex after the Sheffield Wednesday game hinting we may see more of him in the run in

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We have quite a big squad now so I feel a bit sorry for him. Coming to us with lots of hope. Still he needs to be patient. Goldson took his chance and I dont think that we will see much more of Greer. Greer has been good for us over the years.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We have quite a big squad now so I feel a bit sorry for him. Coming to us with lots of hope. Still he needs to be patient. Goldson took his chance and I dont think that we will see much more of Greer. Greer has been good for us over the years.

Yes I was thinking the same...there is the distinct possibility that Greer has played his last game for the club but what a great servant he has been

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
That's awesome. With Sidwell looking like an experienced back-up for this season but nothing special (so far) it could give Towell just the right amount of time before getting minutes as the main back-up next season in the Champ or else if we're in the Prem then a year out on loan to a good club

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Towell and Goldson have really shown up Manu. They've both got their heads down and worked hard where as Manu appears to have acted like a petulant man child.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
QUOTE=RM-Taylor;7320457]I'd rather have Towell on the bench than Sidwell tbh[/QUOTE

Rather a strange comment as he has played against Hull in a weakened side so not the best to judge him by where as Sidwell is proven. If he shows up in training by all means give him a chance but dont throw him in as the golden boy saviour and the fans expect miracles.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
QUOTE=RM-Taylor;7320457]I'd rather have Towell on the bench than Sidwell tbh[/QUOTE

Rather a strange comment as he has played against Hull in a weakened side so not the best to judge him by where as Sidwell is proven. If he shows up in training by all means give him a chance but dont throw him in as the golden boy saviour and the fans expect miracles.

Sidwell may well be proven, but he's played very poorly in the 2 recent games he's played. As you say, Towell played in a weak side, when we were low on confidence. Would like to see him given 20 mins now when we are at full strength.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I disagree that Sidwell played poorly against Sheff Wed and feel he was playing to instructions and had he been poor would have been replaced by Kayal so obvuiously CH was happy with his performance. Yes I would like to see RT on the bench as a midfield attacking option especially away when as an unknown could provide a shock. Bong could when coming back provide the opportunity as it would mean only needing LR on the bench as a cover for any position in the back 4. Thus giving the space for RT.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I disagree that Sidwell played poorly against Sheff Wed and feel he was playing to instructions and had he been poor would have been replaced by Kayal so obvuiously CH was happy with his performance. Yes I would like to see RT on the bench as a midfield attacking option especially away when as an unknown could provide a shock. Bong could when coming back provide the opportunity as it would mean only needing LR on the bench as a cover for any position in the back 4. Thus giving the space for RT.

Sidwell himself said he wasn't happy with his performance against SW ..although it could be argued that could be said of a few others ..there was something else he said along the lines of he wouldn't pick himself on that display...however it would be silly to write the guy off on after so llittle time ..he's hardly played at all in the last 2 years? Bound to be a bit rusty

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sidwell himself said he wasn't happy with his performance against SW ..although it could be argued that could be said of a few others ..there was something else he said along the lines of he wouldn't pick himself on that display...however it would be silly to write the guy off on after so llittle time ..he's hardly played at all in the last 2 years? Bound to be a bit rusty

As I have said before I think that comment from him was based on knowing his own ability.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd love it if he just came off the bench on Tuesday and showed us a bit of what he's about.

No. Whilst applauding his attitude in that interview, I don't want him anywhere near the bench during the run in. We have good, tried and tested midfield players like Sidwell and Crofts to fill that role, and if Bong regains his place at left back, Liam Rosenior is a class act in midfield too.

Richie Towell is an exciting prospect I readily agree, but he is far from the finished article, and aside from that outing at Hull in the FA Cup in a weakened team, hasn't played a single senior competitive game in England yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. Whilst applauding his attitude in that interview, I don't want him anywhere near the bench during the run in. We have good, tried and tested midfield players like Sidwell and Crofts to fill that role, and if Bong regains his place at left back, Liam Rosenior is a class act in midfield too.

Richie Towell is an exciting prospect I readily agree, but he is far from the finished article, and aside from that outing at Hull in the FA Cup in a weakened team, hasn't played a single senior competitive game in England yet.

He could provide an unknown quality if needed to win a game. I think it all depends on getting Bong back and LR as the allround cover

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here