Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meanwhile on Merseyside

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Great match and great atmosphere at Anfield last night. Meanwhile in a school on Merseyside today, a young lad made a kite.
image.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's all very nice but if you think that was a "great match" then I'm not sure what match you was watching.

It was like watching a Joe Bugner v Larry Holmes comeback fight. Two has beens desperately trying to knock each other out and put us all out of our misery, but both failing miserably whilst embarrassing themselves.

United were so poor that Liverpool should have won that game by at least 4 or 5, but they couldn't even manage that.

Woeful, the pair of them.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
That's all very nice but if you think that was a "great match" then I'm not sure what match you was watching.

It was like watching a Joe Bugner v Larry Holmes comeback fight. Two has beens desperately trying to knock each other out and put us all out of our misery, but both failing miserably whilst embarrassing themselves.

United were so poor that Liverpool should have won that game by at least 4 or 5, but they couldn't even manage that.

Eh? United were poor but Liverpool played very well, and probably the best goalkeeper in the world (bar Stockers, obvs) kept the score down. It might be a poor competition to be in, but the match itself was worth the watch.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I wasn't at the match but heard it was a cracking atmosphere, loads of banners, smoke bombs and singing throughout. Who knows maybe one day little old Brighton might have a European night, until then lets go fly a kite.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Eh? United were poor but Liverpool played very well, and probably the best goalkeeper in the world (bar Stockers, obvs) kept the score down. It might be a poor competition to be in, but the match itself was worth the watch.

All a matter of opinion, although I totally agree about de Gea.

Compare these two teams to pretty much any of their teams of the past and they really are woeful. The match done nothing for me I'm afraid. Liverpool were by far the better team, but I suspect against any other team left in European competition they would have been beaten on that performance.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wasn't at the match but heard it was a cracking atmosphere, loads of banners, smoke bombs and singing throughout. Who knows maybe one day little old Brighton might have a European night, until then lets go fly a kite.

The atmosphere did sound cracking, true. But it's Liverpool vs United, and furthermore, meeting in Europe when both are having a crap season...there'd be something seriously a miss if the atmosphere wasn't cracking.

Anyway, I've digressed. Nice kite :thumbsup: and good on him!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great match and great atmosphere at Anfield last night. Meanwhile in a school on Merseyside today, a young lad made a kite.
View attachment 72979

Good lad. Just out of interest, did it go straight up, look like it was going up and raise the lad's expectations only to dash them by then failing to go up at the last minute, or just never look like going up ??

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Have to say, I thought Lpool were good particularly first half - or second half of first half to be precise - Man Utd were a disgrace to football tbh!

Oh and well done OP to your lad - legend :clap2: And great parenting to have him in this mindset :thumbsup:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
All a matter of opinion, although I totally agree about de Gea.

Compare these two teams to pretty much any of their teams of the past and they really are woeful. The match done nothing for me I'm afraid. Liverpool were by far the better team, but I suspect against any other team left in European competition they would have been beaten on that performance.

Be real, that Liverpool team would have comfortably beaten 2/3 of the other teams left in the competition and would have given a lot of them a good game.

In fact the only teams in it who I think would soundly beat Liverpool are Dortmund, Sevilla and potentially Shakthar.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Be real, that Liverpool team would have comfortably beaten 2/3 of the other teams left in the competition and would have given a lot of them a good game.

In fact the only teams in it who I think would soundly beat Liverpool are Dortmund, Sevilla and potentially Shakthar.

Really?

Did you not see them in the last round ? The team they played were so poor that after Liverpool went 1nil up very early on in the 2nd leg I thought it had 5 or 6 written all over it. But no, it ended up 1 nil.

Once Liverpool get past United, which they really should on current form, I'd be genuinely gobsmacked if they progress any further, regardless of who they draw.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Really?

Did you not see them in the last round ? The team they played were so poor that after Liverpool went 1nil up very early on in the 2nd leg I thought it had 5 or 6 written all over it. But no, it ended up 1 nil.

Once Liverpool get past United, which they really should on current form, I'd be genuinely gobsmacked if they progress any further, regardless of who they draw.

That game was not one of Liverpool's best but surely the aim of a cup tie is to win? Also, the goals Liverpool scored against them was the first they had conceded in the tournament I believe? So they must have something about them.

Anyway, I'm happy as I have an unnatural distaste of Man Ure!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That game was not one of Liverpool's best but surely the aim of a cup tie is to win? Also, the goals Liverpool scored against them was the first they had conceded in the tournament I believe? So they must have something about them.

Anyway, I'm happy as I have an unnatural distaste of Man Ure!

Did you see the game? Augsburg looked like a league one team hoofing it at every opportunity. Liverpool should have put that game to bed, not just win through to the next round. Just one goal from Augsburg without a Liverpool reply and Liverpool were out. They were definitely not trying to just ease through, they were just so shite it was hard to see where a goal would come from. Just like United were last night.

I stand by my opinion that last nights game was a poor spectacle from two poor teams. Both teams would be torn apart by any even half decent team in Europe at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here