Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Daily steps counting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, not the pop megastars who amazed the world with their cover of 'Tragedy'.

Do you use a device to count your steps daily and does it make a difference to your behaviour in any way?

iPhones have done it via the native Health app, but I don't look at that from one month to the next. However, now I'm wearing a fitness watch thingummy, that does it automatically, I've started to take an interest.

I'm an absolute sucker for the gamification of things which couldn't be better illustrated than me walking round and round the house for 15 minutes at 11pm last night to get to my daily steps target.

It has made me aware of what a largely sedentary lifestyle I have on days where I don't go out for a run and has encouraged me to walk where, previously, I may not have done so. I'll be interested to see if I stick with the slightly better habits or resort back to being a bit lazier again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
my German phone counts daily goose steps, 21 so far today.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It is a good concept. I know a couple of people who have been motivated by it.

Doesn't really work for me because my regular exercise is cycling, swimming, cross-trainer, rowing machine. Potential perverse incentives in the gamification process: walking around the house rather than going to the gym and doing more effective exercise.

PG

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I have a fitbit. I know the number of steps of a full circuit of my house (180). For me it's great, it encourages me to be more active. I tend to reach 10k steps at least 5 days out of seven, previously i doubt i did it any more than 2 or 3 days a week. I target around 85k a week. My record steps in a day 33k. yes it can get a little obsessive.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It interests me that my iPhone shows that, even though I drive to work, I walk 6K a day just going about everyday stuff - and that doesn't include all the stuff I do when I leave my phone on my desk - but I don't find myself trying to make a daily target.

If however it makes more sedentary people think about how little they move on an average, then it's good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Potential perverse incentives in the gamification process: walking around the house rather than going to the gym and doing more effective exercise.

A lot of people aren't going to go to the gym at all, let alone daily though so if it makes some of them move a bit more, that can't be a bad thing, can it?

Today is a running day for me so I'll reach my target easily, but yesterday wasn't and I fell a bit short before my 'evening stroll'. I may have been tempted to go out for a quick run - I often go out quite late in the evening - but I'd had a few drinks!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When the feeling's gone and you can't go on

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
A lot of people aren't going to go to the gym at all, let alone daily though so if it makes some of them move a bit more, that can't be a bad thing, can it?

Today is a running day for me so I'll reach my target easily, but yesterday wasn't and I fell a bit short before my 'evening stroll'. I may have been tempted to go out for a quick run - I often go out quite late in the evening - but I'd had a few drinks!

I find i now walk more and walk up escalators etc instead of riding them

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Wouldn't be without mine.

Given that I,m knocking on a bit and have suffered heart issues, it's important I keep active. I don't go to work anymore,so it is incredibly easy to have a lazy day. My 'fitbit' is a good way of motivating me on a lazy day and several times in the past few months I have found it necessary to walk down to the next village and back (about 3 miles) at 11o clock at night to reach my minimum target (10,000 steps) ! A bloody nuisance when I start, but very satisfying after.

Besides counting steps, gives a rough idea of calories burnt whilst walking/jogging/sitting/sleeping.They also record your most idle moments (my lunchtime usually) and sleep pattern.........a really important part of your daily living.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Do you use a device to count your steps daily and does it make a difference to your behaviour in any way?

iPhones have done it via the native Health app, but I don't look at that from one month to the next. However, now I'm wearing a fitness watch thingummy, that does it automatically, I've started to take an interest.

I'm an absolute sucker for the gamification of things which couldn't be better illustrated than me walking round and round the house for 15 minutes at 11pm last night to get to my daily steps target.

It has made me aware of what a largely sedentary lifestyle I have on days where I don't go out for a run and has encouraged me to walk where, previously, I may not have done so. I'll be interested to see if I stick with the slightly better habits or resort back to being a bit lazier again.

Started using a Fitbit HR with MyFitnessPal a few months ago just to keep on top and stop myself from ballooning (again). Definitely get that feeling of competing to hit my targets every day; getting at least 10,000 steps every day and sticking within my calorie boundaries. It's become a daily part of my regime to go for a four-mile walk every day upon getting back from work just to ensure that I get the little star on the bar graph, whether I'm exercising that day or not.. I'm pretty hooked (for the time being).

Ameliaance

Feb 22, 2016
Started using a Fitbit HR with MyFitnessPal a few months ago just to keep on top and stop myself from ballooning (again). Definitely get that feeling of competing to hit my targets every day; getting at least 10,000 steps every day and sticking within my calorie boundaries. It's become a daily part of my regime to go for a four-mile walk every day upon getting back from work just to ensure that I get the little star on the bar graph, whether I'm exercising that day or not.. I'm pretty hooked (for the time being).

Is fitbit quite affordable? I'm planning to buy one.

Del of Albion

Jul 15, 2009
East Sussex

I have been using Fitbit for a few months and find I always ensure to beat the 10,000 steps daily. Some thing that also helps me on the motivation front is building up points for the activity (on the below link for you to look at). You get points daily for exercise, walking, running etc. Just need to set up an account and for the basic entry there is no cost. Enjoy.

https://www.bounts.it/

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

....................QUOTE]

Yes, Garmin Forerunner 235.

No difference whatsoever, it's just an 'interesting' stat.

The sleep stats are something I look at as well.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Since I started tracking last year (using the Samsung Health app), I've been quite obsessive about beating 10,000 steps every day (or 15,000, when I'm being a bit more rigorous), and I've often gone for small walks late at night to get me over that target - so it's not just you, Bozza.

I think it's a really good method of encouraging exercise for some people - if you're inclined to play computer games it's definitely for you. The other feature I really benefit from is a reminder to move every hour.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Another Fitbit HR user here, 10 months in and it's still making a difference. I have found the comparison between less and more active days the best part. Building in opportunities to be active (e.g. Getting up early for a walk/run) when I know I'll have a sedentary day otherwise, just so I can maintain a run of hitting my target every day really pushes me. I'll have a wander round for half an hour or so between meetings when in London, whereas before I'd sit in a cafe or pub and have a coffee. I average about 17k steps per day and have lost over a stone. I have also saved money on taxi, tube and bus fares!

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Is fitbit quite affordable? I'm planning to buy one.

Depends on what you're after. The basic one that just tracks step-count, calories, distance travelled, active minutes & sleep quality is around £60 , the one I have (Charge HR) is about £90, and does all of that but tracks your heart rate continuously and has a small screen that displays all your stats for the day. The highest level one (Surge) is around £160 and has a bigger display screen, GPS tracking and allows you to answer phone calls, control music etc. Personally, if I was going to spend that much money on an activity tracker, I'd go with a Garmin or Polar (I will when I'm a bit more into it).

Charge HR does everything I need it to and integrates really well with MyFitnessPal; the calories burned via Fitbit go straight into my daily MFP food log and adjusts calorie goals accordingly. The 2-day battery life is a bit of a pain in the arse though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here