Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what point does chanting cross over the line?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
What's the song that Liverpool sing about "who's that lying on the runway, who's that lying in the snow" ?

Doesn't make it right but it happens in a lot of football grounds.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good question.

Without meaning to derail your thread, what's with the paddy power advert? I wouldn't hold out much hope for Palace at Man United tomorrow after their game at Reading tonight!

p.PNG

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Pretty much every trip to Millwall will see them crossing a line.

Good article I thought. Unfortunately, too many people do "need their head read."

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Load of old bollocks if you ask me. Those 2 are both as bad as each other, one mob singing about Munich and the other mobile about Hillsborough...although that article is clearly written by a scouser. Either kick them out or write on the Internet when they get home, same story every time.

It happens every time they play, someone just needs to fill a column on a particularly average website.

Couldn't believe on our trip to Anfield for the 6 1 there was "Munich" graffiti no more than 20 metres from the Hillsborough memorial. It's a northern thing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Whilst I agree that the chants are out of order and unacceptable that article really is full of pompous declarations, the worst being this:

"Following a football team around and being entertained by the greatest game in the world is a privilege"

Utter nonsense.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Thought about this morning, I think its pretty tasteless and something I could ever think of joining in with, but its a wide brutal swipe at no one in particular and it fuels an atmosphere something that really needs some attention.

Then I scrolled down my newsfeed to see a video of young ginger female steward lambasted by a whole stand of United fans for her ginger hair and how she would never get a swipe on tinder.

Both quite cruel really but which one deserves sanction more than the other .........

For me let it roll, its not meant to be politically correct its meant to be a bit anarchic ............

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Couldn't believe on our trip to Anfield for the 6 1 there was "Munich" graffiti no more than 20 metres from the Hillsborough memorial. It's a northern thing.

It certainly isn't mate. Millwall sing "Harry Roberts is our friend" at the police, West Ham sing anti-semantic stuff to Spurs, Spurs reply with songs about the death of Bobby Moore etc etc

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Free speech or censorship.

Given UEFAs record of fining Manchester City because their fans booed the CL anthem and only hand our small fines for racism I would expect them to take no action.
Whether this is right or wrong is an intetesting debate in should we as a society protect people from being subjected to these chants. They are not it would seem covered by current laws.

D

Deleted member 2719

It certainly isn't mate. Millwall sing "Harry Roberts is our friend" at the police, West Ham sing anti-semantic stuff to Spurs, Spurs reply with songs about the death of Bobby Moore etc etc

Anybody that sings songs against Bobby Moore, should be burnt at the stake and while they are burning add a bit of petrol.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What's the song that Liverpool sing about "who's that lying on the runway, who's that lying in the snow" ?

Doesn't make it right but it happens in a lot of football grounds.

Leeds sung it on the train back to Brighton from Falmer after we beat them 4-0. Spot on with the second sentence. It's not right but it happens everywhere and not just in England. Constant torrent of it at Celtic v Rangers. Read "A Season With Verona" by Tim Parks (actually, really do, it's great) to discover Italian fans singing anti-semetic stuff, songs about Southern Italians all being criminals, Albanians and blacks and a song glorifying someone who murdered prostitutes with a spade. I bet if you translated songs from Istanbul derbies or PSG v Marseille they'd be equally as bad,

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
what a load of bollocks

Yes the chants are a disgrace, but to spend the article attacking Man Utd as if they are the only ones is just pathetic. It reads like it is a Liverpool or Man City fan just trying to have a go and completely denying any wrong doing themselves.

Liverpool sing disgusting songs all the time, I have been with Arsenal fans when they have been playing Tottenham and started singing some horrendous stuff. Football fans stepped over the line a long time ago and something wider needs to be done if the chanting going too far is going to be stopped

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Whilst I agree that the chants are out of order and unacceptable that article really is full of pompous declarations, the worst being this:

"Following a football team around and being entertained by the greatest game in the world is a privilege"

Utter nonsense.

Even i thought it was pompous...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We're rarely loud enough at home for any chanting to get over the line, so the content seems immaterial.

Coat....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here