Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Even more unbelievable,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If the video is as cut and dry as the story indicates then yep I agree, hang 'em!

He or she is no doubt the sort of person who waits until an emergency vehicle is right up their arse with lights flashing and siren wailing before they even look for somewhere to pull over. Plenty of those about btw

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Strangely enough though, this is exactly the spot that people do move over early into the bus lane on rush hour mornings. Just saying like

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Police should have been hammering down the bus lane so she didn't have to move over

You can see from the photo that there is a bus in front of her, so the police wouldn't have had a clear run. I would have moved over to the bus lane to get out of the police car's way, too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You can see from the photo that there is a bus in front of her, so the police wouldn't have had a clear run. I would have moved over to the bus lane to get out of the police car's way, too.

It's a van in front of her but your point stands, she used common sense to allow the Police car a clear road.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe on closer inspection, the jobsworth spotted a Crystal Palace car sticker in the windscreen?

You see? Makes sense now doesn't it? Things are often not quite as clear cut as they first seem.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Actually, it seems that is a van that also pulled over as that is what she refers to in the article.

Jobsworth at the council will hopefully have had a talking to by his boss but the right decision at the end of the day.

My experience of regularly using the roads in Brighton that have bus lanes is that emergency vehicles almost always use the bus lanes and only use the main traffic lanes to overtake. Moving INTO a bus lane will cause an obstruction to an emergency vehicle and should therefore be discouraged.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He or she is no doubt the sort of person who waits until an emergency vehicle is right up their arse with lights flashing and siren wailing before they even look for somewhere to pull over. Plenty of those about btw

I know, that's why I indicated the possibility of doubt! I am sure that my awareness of other road users is down to years of riding a motorbike, as I always move over as soon as I see the lights in my mirrors - and then get overtaken by idiots that don't have a clue!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know, that's why I indicated the possibility of doubt! I am sure that my awareness of other road users is down to years of riding a motorbike, as I always move over as soon as I see the lights in my mirrors - and then get overtaken by idiots that don't have a clue!

Or you just know how to drive. I have the same problem and have never ridden a motorbike. (Though I suppose I have similar awareness from cycling).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good to see that the fine was promptly overturned when it went to a higher authority for review. The council employee, however, is obviously an idiot.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Maybe on closer inspection, the jobsworth spotted a Crystal Palace car sticker in the windscreen?

You see? Makes sense now doesn't it? Things are often not quite as clear cut as they first seem.

Can't believe I just reopened the link to look for a sticker :facepalm: Is it the weekend yet?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps it's not so much being a jobsworth, perhaps it's more cynical, an unofficial policy to squeeze as much money as they can. Always give a fine for this sort of thing, a lot will appeal, but maybe some will pay up. Then when they appeal you decline the appeal, and a few more pay up. Only a few more will take it to a further appeal. You'll always be better off than if you don't bother issuing the fine in the first place.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Perhaps it's not so much being a jobsworth, perhaps it's more cynical, an unofficial policy to squeeze as much money as they can. Always give a fine for this sort of thing, a lot will appeal, but maybe some will pay up. Then when they appeal you decline the appeal, and a few more pay up. Only a few more will take it to a further appeal. You'll always be better off than if you don't bother issuing the fine in the first place.

Sounds plausible and how very sad if true.
Win Win for the council

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
“By driving in a bus lane you are obstructing the road for these vehicles causing delays for public transport users.”

Yes, HOW DARE SHE! Let me just count the buses that she held up....erm, oh actually, there don't seem to be any in the area at all. Lucky for her, if there had been one even 100 yards behind her, can you imagine the hold ups to people's days that would have caused...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here