Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez for McClaren

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
SSN reporting McClaren getting sacked and will NOT be in charge for Leicester match on Monday, and Benitez close to singing a three year deal.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Would be an interesting one, especially if they went down anyway as I doubt that Benitez is cheap.

Would be great if he turns it around and Big Sam does his thing at Sunderland. Could drag Palace down into it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I realise what I'm about to write doesn't make any ACTUAL sense but I know what I mean.

I think it would be LOVELY to see Newcastle as a top team, winning matches and making St James' a bit of a fortress......

BUT at the same time.....its HILARIOUS when they are this terrible and the idea of them in the Championship with is funny.

The same split emotions can be said for Villa. Would be nice to see them up there as its a great club, but the idea of them and Newcastle BOTH in the championship is DELICIOUS

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Newcastle United and the fat Spanish waiter eh?

Perfect! Superb comedy duo that.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
It just amazes me that no matter how badly a football manager does and gets the sack, they still get offered another top job elsewhere.

Can you ever imagine big business doing the same thing.

Oh we'll have this bloke running our major international company, after all he's right royally screwed up two other big companies, what could go wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I really don't see why Benitez would take that job. He'll have all the problems McClaren faces with budget and restriction on players, and a relegation battle from day one. Is he that mercenary, would Ashley pay that much?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It just amazes me that no matter how badly a football manager does and gets the sack, they still get offered another top job elsewhere.

Oh we'll have this bloke running our major international company, after all he's right royally screwed up two other big companies, what could go wrong.
You can't compare football with business. The top 20 companies could employ the top 20 CEOs, and they could all do well. That can't happen in football. No matter how good the managers are, a few of them will see their sides relegated, only one club will be champions etc.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Its a good move for Benitez, he can't lose. If they go down its not his fault, keeps them up he's a hero. A bit like a goalkeeper in a penalty shoot out. I bet Sunderland supporters aren't too happy

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
SportsDirect-shopping-bag.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I really don't see why Benitez would take that job. He'll have all the problems McClaren faces with budget and restriction on players, and a relegation battle from day one. Is he that mercenary, would Ashley pay that much?

Sounds like one sticking point is that he wants to be MANAGER and not head coach, with the rumour being Newcastle are looking to change the club structure in the process.

Imagine going from coaching Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriguez, Modric to Steven Taylor and Check Tiote :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Of course it does. McClaren is a clown and I want to see Palace get relegated.

BIG. FAT. THIS.

Hope Benitez weaves some magic and drags Palace down into the mire. Although to be fair, Pardew seems to be doing that pretty well on his own right now :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
I realise what I'm about to write doesn't make any ACTUAL sense but I know what I mean.

I think it would be LOVELY to see Newcastle as a top team, winning matches and making St James' a bit of a fortress......

BUT at the same time.....its HILARIOUS when they are this terrible and the idea of them in the Championship with is funny.

The same split emotions can be said for Villa. Would be nice to see them up there as its a great club, but the idea of them and Newcastle BOTH in the championship is DELICIOUS

to be fair they were in the championship not that long ago and it wasn't that funny because they completely bossed it

but newcastle as a top team are ALWAYS flair....under keegan and bobby robson they were particularly absolutely flair as....there's something about the club that seems to be an absolute honey pot for flair talent to flock there- i'm talking ginola, philippe albert, hislop, emre, asprilla, laurent robert, solano, hugo viana, luque, bramble, joey barton the list is almost endless...in fact I'd go so far as to say that they're EASILY englands flairest club so it's sad to see them do so badly although I guess a stylish capitulation goes with the flair ethos of the club

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think the Benitez family still live close to Liverpool, so that could be a factor.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Palace coming down would obviously be hiliarious - but more importantly we aren't promoted yet, and I'd fancy Newcastle to do a better job than them at bouncing straight back up.

Actually, if they're sensible over the summer then I'd fancy Villa, Newcastle & Sunderland to be in a three-way scrap for the top two spots - which doesn't leave one for us (if we're still in the Championship).

Palace/Norwich on the other hand I would guess might be there or thereabouts in the top 6 but not running away with anything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I guess Leicester City are grateful you're not their Head of Recruitment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here