Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

its National Pie Week and there is no thread

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
a club thats involved in the best pies in the country awards and no thread......standards are slipping,you lot need to lay off the EU threads and concentrate on real world issues

some history

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/pie-facts/

Originally, the pie's pastry shell was designed to be used as a baking dish, storage container, and a way to serve the filling. Records show that Romans would use meats, oysters, mussels and fish as the filling and a mixture of flour, oil and water to keep it all in place. The pastry was often tough and inedible and was designed to be thrown away.

Some historians suggest it was given to the servants while the rich ate the contents.

The Guinness World Record for the most expensive meat pie ever sold goes to the Fence Gate Inn in Lancashire which sold its pie for £8195 - or £1024 a slice - to eight guests on November 14, 2005.

It was made from £500 worth of Japanese wagyu beef fillet, Chinese matsutake mushrooms (which are so precious, they're harvested under guard), Winter Black truffles, French Bluefoot mushrooms (sold at £200 for 1kg), gravy made from two bottles of vintage 1982 Chateau Mouton Rothschild wine, topped with edible gold leaf.

Oliver Cromwell banned pie as he decided it was a "pagan form of pleasure". It wasn't a complete and utter ban on pies, though - just a ban on Christmas celebrations and foods that were associated with the "pagan" holiday, such as mince pies, turkey, and Christmas ale.

The ban was eventually lifted in 1660.

So what is the best British pie apart from Steak and Ale?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like my pie to be 3.141592 inches thick.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I bought a pie this week without getting any info from NSC - what's going on, how did that happen. Not eaten it yet, mind, it sits proudly in the fridge.

Exactly the same - perhaps subconsciously I purchased some on Tuesday and ate one whilst following the Sheff Wed match thread

Steak and gravy - lovely stuff

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Guinness World Record for the most expensive meat pie ever sold goes to the Fence Gate Inn in Lancashire which sold its pie for £8195 - or £1024 a slice - to eight guests on November 14, 2005. It was made from £500 worth of Japanese wagyu beef fillet, Chinese matsutake mushrooms (which are so precious, they're harvested under guard), Winter Black truffles, French Bluefoot mushrooms (sold at £200 for 1kg), gravy made from two bottles of vintage 1982 Chateau Mouton Rothschild wine, topped with edible gold leaf

Shirley a shoo-in for the 1901?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sea Pie for me, they do an absolute corker in the Pilot Boat.

:drool:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I cooked one of thm Fray Bentos ones the other day, it had a "best-by" date of 2013. Personally I think they should keep for longer than that, in cool conditions mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here