Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Chelsea out played psg tonight - moments before they made it 2-1 Chelsea missed 2 great chances to make it 2-1

Whether or not that is true (I didn't see it) they lost home and away. You often see lower league sides lose to Premier League teams in the cup after seeming to be on the front foot. I think this is similar.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Couldn't give a shit

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Hooray.

Fewer English places in the 'Champions' leaguers becoming more and more likely.

Maybe the FA cup will be shown a bit more respect now.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've noticed a shift on Sky and TalkShite from "The Best League in the World™" to "The MOST COMPETITIVE League in the World" citing Spain, Germany, Italy and France of how football in the top tier becomes a "XX-horse race". In that respect they get very excited about how the "EPL" has panned out this year, telling viewers and listeners that "It's the most exciting year for years". Yeah - that'll be because someone DIFFERENT is at the top of the table; usually it is a "XX-horse race" :ffsparr:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I've noticed a shift on Sky and TalkShite from "The Best League in the World[emoji769]" to "The MOST COMPETITIVE League in the World" citing Spain, Germany, Italy and France of how football in the top tier becomes a "XX-horse race". In that respect they get very excited about how the "EPL" has panned out this year, telling viewers and listeners that "It's the most exciting year for years". Yeah - that'll be because someone DIFFERENT is at the top of the table; usually it is a "XX-horse race" :ffsparr:

Yeah I've noticed that too.

I despise Richard Scudamore and everything the premier league represents and I rejoice when premier league teams get knocked out of Europe. But I must admit I've actually really enjoyed the league this season and through gritted teeth will admit it is the most entertaining league but certainly not the best quality.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really think the top four in the UCL are the sole indicator of the quality of the league, unless of course some of you are prepared to eat humble pie should Man City go on and win it.

I'd fancy Aston Villa to hammer some of the absolute shyte you see at the bottom of the other big leagues. Especially France, by the way. Half the teams in the Prem would have the odd season like PSG are having if they were playing a pub team every other game. The ar5e end of la liga or serie a aren't much better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea out played psg tonight - moments before they made it 2-1 Chelsea missed 2 great chances to make it 2-1

Good that will upset and make it that much worse for the 1901ers who irritate the shit out of me talking about their first team throughout games at the Amex. A bit of Schadenfreude.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't really think the top four in the UCL are the sole indicator of the quality of the league, unless of course some of you are prepared to eat humble pie should Man City go on and win it.

I'd fancy Aston Villa to hammer some of the absolute shyte you see at the bottom of the other big leagues. Especially France, by the way. Half the teams in the Prem would have the odd season like PSG are having if they were playing a pub team every other game. The ar5e end of la liga or serie a aren't much better.

What is the UCL? Is it a splinter group of the EPL, EDF or IRA?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The premier league probably is the most competitive league in Europe. Why shouldn't it be, it's the richest? I suspect you are beginning to see a change in the rating of the various teams after all if you spend £100m or £150m there isn't much difference in the quality of player you can attract. It then becomes a lottery of players settling and all the other imponderables that make up a great side.

In terms of Europe though the very best still want the Barca's / Madrid's and Munich's of this world and it may be some time before that little monopoly is broken...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm lobbying UEFA, we don't deserve 4 teams in the CL anymore

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
The premier league is the most competitive big league in Europe, mainly due to the more even financial spread between its teams. Yes, we have some of the richest clubs in the world still, but the teams they play week in week out are of a much higher standard than the lesser teams in the other top European leagues.

- In Germany, there was complete shock after Bayern Munich lost at home to 5th placed Mainz last weekend. They've still won 20 out of 25 games so far this season.
- PSG have lost 1 game all season and are 23 points clear of 2nd place.
- Barcelona haven't lost a league game since the 3rd of October, winning every game bar 1 in 2016.
- Juventus have won 17 and drew 1 in their last 18 league matches!

The top teams in these leagues have so many 'gimme' games to play, half the time they may as well not even turn up. It's a case of 'how many goals will we score', rather than 'will we get the three points'. The Prem is by far the most entertaining and competitive league in this respect. On top of this, the English teams have two domestic cups to play, and have 4 additional league games to play compared to the German league. It's no wonder we are falling behind in Europe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
China Football League is poised to become the richest League in the Universe within a year or two. £100 million players will be a norm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The premier league is the most competitive big league in Europe, mainly due to the more even financial spread between its teams.

I'm not overly convinced about this looking back. I appreciate this season is different but mainly because the usual big guns seem to be in utter disarray and not because of a general raise in standards of lower teams. This will be restored and you won't see Leicester or Spurs at the top next season...especially when the big guns have picked off their best players. I remember a few seasons ago seeing some stats regarding the top 4 positions in the Prem; it had hardly changed over a decade. I guess a four horse race is more competitive than a two....but only just. I was still as boring IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here