Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Price Cap for away fans

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There's no advantage or disadvantage in among the clubs if they get to charge the same.

With the amount of money sloshing around, if they can afford £30, they can afford £20.

A start, but ultimately, a cop-out.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There's no advantage or disadvantage in among the clubs if they get to charge the same.

With the amount of money sloshing around, if they can afford £30, they can afford £20.

A start, but ultimately, a cop-out.

£20 would be cheaper than every Championship ground (even £30 is cheaper than a few)!

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
£20 would be cheaper than every Championship (even £30 is cheaper than a few)!

Quite.

I can understand the reluctance of Championship clubs to reduce prices - they don't get the obscene amounts of money the PL clubs get.

The PL clubs, on the other hand, don't have the first excuse. Similarly, Sky - even thought it's not in their business model to care - ought to now set about reimbursing fans who've bought cheap(er) train tickets only to have the game moved, making the tickets effectively useless.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I can understand the reluctance of Championship clubs to reduce prices - they don't get the obscene amounts of money the PL clubs get.

Good point, but how long can Championship clubs realistically charge higher prices than PL clubs before fans (especially those of clubs relegated from the PL) point out that this is absurd.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is the dilemma though isn't it. The whole model is broken when the teams in the top division could technically give tickets away for free but those in the lower ones have to maximize every bit of revenue just to not lose £20m a season.

The only solution would be for the tv money to filter down a little bit more than it currently does. Just a little bit would make a big difference.

But it'll never happen and the closed shop that everyone derides as an idea will basically happen without the PL having to change anything.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Good point, but how long can Championship clubs realistically charge higher prices than PL clubs before fans (especially those of clubs relegated from the PL) point out that this is absurd.

It is absurd but then who is realistically going to have to make the choice of going to watch an away game at, say, Stamford Bridge or Loftus Road. That's assuming you could get a ticket in the first place.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Small crumbs at the moment, I agree.

Ticket prices are too high, but that's as much driven by the market as anything else. The overheads of clubs are high. Bring those overheads down and we might start to see more movement of ticket prices.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If we do go up this year, stand by pages and pages on NSC that the loyalty points threshold to get tickets was too high/too low as we get hit with the double whammy of £30 tickets and the lure of the bug clubs for once in a season away supporters

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It would be good if Championship clubs could also agree to a maximum. £20 would be totally appropriate in the Championship but £30 would be a start.

It's a bit silly clubs like the Albion will be charging more for away tickets than all of the Prem clubs!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It would be good if Championship clubs could also agree to a maximum. £20 would be totally appropriate in the Championship but £30 would be a start.

It's a bit silly clubs like the Albion will be charging more for away tickets than all of the Prem clubs!

But we lose in the region of £10m per season (and you can double or triple that figure for Boro & Derby this season). Who pays for this discount in the Championship?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

It's not silly, it's the economics of football. Which is completely insane it's true.

The PL clubs are only doing this because it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to them financially. It's a drop in the vast ocean of tv cash they are swimming in.

Lower league clubs, all of them, need the gate money and if they have to reduce ticket prices then they'll be even more screwed than they already are.

This looks like a magnanimous gesture but it's really not.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
It will be interesting to see how it pans out with away fans guaranteed to pay no more than £30, and home fans paying up to three times that for some Prem club match day tickets (eg Arsenal). Will some home fans start registering with other clubs to buy away tickets at their own ground? Not pleasant to sit with the away fans I'm sure but £30 vs £90 might tempt some!

With a £90 million TV deal discounting some tickets will have so real impact on the finances of Prem clubs. In the championship some clubs already charge less (eg PNE on Saturday was £24 or £16 for concessions). For those who charge more- I would suggest they are mugging of us fans and £30 for away tickets is no big ask, even if they are struggling financially. The main reason the Prem clubs have done it is for PR, and to benefit their own fans (and encourage more of them to attend). Also more away fans at their own games makes for a better atmosphere. These benefits would all apply to championship clubs. I would suggest losing a couple of thousand £ per match, if you are a club charging over £30 per ticket, is an acceptable hit, for good PR and better away attendances for your club and all the others in the league.

It might actually start highlighting what a pies take some home ticket prices are as well which can only be a good thing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Great stuff,they can afford it.Just think it will be cheaper than the away end at Cheltenham Town's £21.

I read somewhere it's the lower league clubs that tried to block this - and you can see why.

It's not just the 30 quid - some clubs have also gone a bit further - Arsenal are covering an extra 4 quid of the away tickets as well

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It is a start and great news considering some fans were getting charged north of £70 I think last year and will definitely bring more of an atmosphere to games. One reservation I have though is whether concessions for kids and seniors are going to go now and there will just be a blanket £30 charge for everyone .

With regards to the championship I can't see how any club will be able to justify charging more than £30 now. Does anyone know how much we charge away fans ? I would hazard a guess it's around the £30 mark.
It will be interesting if a few championship clubs come out and also impose a maximum ticket price as I think the majority would then have to follow suit.

I haven't followed the team away much this season so would be interesting to know how much tickets were at away games this season . I remember a poster on here didn't attend home games as they were too expensive and used to have on his signature games he attended that were only under a certain price (£15 or so) I think it was .

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
It is a start and great news considering some fans were getting charged north of £70 I think last year and will definitely bring more of an atmosphere to games. One reservation I have though is whether concessions for kids and seniors are going to go now and there will just be a blanket £30 charge for everyone .

With regards to the championship I can't see how any club will be able to justify charging more than £30 now. Does anyone know how much we charge away fans ? I would hazard a guess it's around the £30 mark.
It will be interesting if a few championship clubs come out and also impose a maximum ticket price as I think the majority would then have to follow suit.

I haven't followed the team away much this season so would be interesting to know how much tickets were at away games this season . I remember a poster on here didn't attend home games as they were too expensive and used to have on his signature games he attended that were only under a certain price (£15 or so) I think it was .

I know PNE was £24, £16 concessions (students and OAPs), and £8 for under 16s.

Great to have such a low price for under 16s. And a permanent discount for students (of all ages) which I don't think the Albion do. I would think £16 match day tickets could attract a lot of students from the 2 universities, and £8 for under 16s would draw in lots of kids who are the potential season ticket holders of the future. All sounds a bit more fan-oriented than the Albion who seem keen to rinse as much out of fans as they can get away with, particularly non-season ticket holders..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here