Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Have we won a game when he hasn't played? Preston home 0-0, Cardiff 1-4 and tonight off the top of my head. Different side without him.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Whoever signed him is a genius ! We missed him massively tonight, he us a class above the rest and if we don't end up getting promoted I can see a lot if clubs coming in for him

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He is the player that allows us to play 4-4-2, like Kante for Leicester. He is the reason we can play two up front, if he doesn't play then we can't do it - too many other players don't step up and perform. No performances tonight from Sidwell, Murphy, Knockaert, Baldock (obviously), Hemed or LuaLua and Wilson when they were desperately thrown on. Nothing happened tonight, nothing at all. Stephens kept things moving in the midfield but he had one of his worst games with too many daft flicks to no effect. Rosenior and Bruno had nothing to pass to from full back. We relied on Stockdale who had a great game, some kicking aside, and Dunk/Goldson to ensure we didn't lose. But we were never going to win.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
He is the player that allows us to play 4-4-2, like Kante for Leicester. He is the reason we can play two up front, if he doesn't play then we can't do it - too many other players don't step up and perform. No performances tonight from Sidwell, Murphy, Knockaert, Baldock (obviously), Hemed or LuaLua and Wilson when they were desperately thrown on. Nothing happened tonight, nothing at all. Stephens kept things moving in the midfield but he had one of his worst games with too many daft flicks to no effect. Rosenior and Bruno had nothing to pass to from full back. We relied on Stockdale who had a great game, some kicking aside, and Dunk/Goldson to ensure we didn't lose. But we were never going to win.

Sad. But true.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Poor Stephens always looks poor outside of his Kayal partnership. Kayal manages Stephens on pitch and tells him where to play, that is why the two are so effective. Like Cardiff, with lacked Kayal's management of the middle of the park as Stephens and Sidwell struggled to form a partnership.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Our best and most consistent player by a country mile
When he doesn't play we look very short of ideas
Sidwell is not a replacement although I'd put him just ahead of Crofts

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Only midfielder we have who's first thought is a forward pass or run forward and play a pass. Stephens and Sidwell both tidy but all about passing it on to others to make something happen or retaining possession.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He's our POTS for me - you just have to look at our performances and results when he's missing. At least he'll have had a good 10 day rest by our next game.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Clearly our best player but even Kayal would have struggled and not looked good out there last night in those conditions.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He's our POTS for me - you just have to look at our performances and results when he's missing. At least he'll have had a good 10 day rest by our next game.

If he was not fit then why was he on the bench? Seems to me that this was a tactical mistake and one that should have been rectified at half time....Agree with the comments here our best player by a big margin.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Far be it from me to tell Hughton how to his job but you'd have hoped he'd have learned the lesson of not playing him. His "freshening things up" does not work. Against the best teams, we need to play our best players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If he was not fit then why was he on the bench? Seems to me that this was a tactical mistake and one that should have been rectified at half time....Agree with the comments here our best player by a big margin.

Not that simple. You can be carrying a niggle that flairs up after a match, but might take 2 or 3 days to settle down. Therefore playing Saturday / Tuesday could be a longer term risk. CH may have had advice that he is okay for the bench if needed, but a full match could risk making the injury worse.

CH took him off v Hull on Tuesday 16 Feb, then left him out v Cardiff on Sat 20 Feb. He played a full 90 against Bristol City, but was then subbed v Leeds. I would suggest this is a pattern of the medical team dealing with something that is requiring management. Some niggles aren't as simple as saying if he's on the bench he can play.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not that simple. You can be carrying a niggle that flairs up after a match, but might take 2 or 3 days to settle down. Therefore playing Saturday / Tuesday could be a longer term risk. CH may have had advice that he is okay for the bench if needed, but a full match could risk making the injury worse.

CH took him off v Hull on Tuesday 16 Feb, then left him out v Cardiff on Sat 20 Feb. He played a full 90 against Bristol City, but was then subbed v Leeds. I would suggest this is a pattern of the medical team dealing with something that is requiring management. Some niggles aren't as simple as saying if he's on the bench he can play.

Agree with all that IF that were the case. Hughton told us afterwards "Kayal WAS working through a niggling injury, but that's in the past. I chose to give him a REST".

Stupid stupid stupid stupid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here