Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

116 Sheep killed in Sussex

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

116 sheep killed in 'UK's worst sheep attack in living memory'
More than 100 sheep have died in what experts say was the UK's worst sheep attack in living memory.

The horrific discovery was made by farmer Gordon Wyeth at the West Dean Estate in West Dean, near Chichester, early yesterday afternoon.

The sheep, many of them pregnant, had been herded into a tight group against a fence and gate bordering woodland where they had panicked and had either died from shock or by being crushed in the flock.

A total of 116 sheep, worth an estimated £17,000, died in the field just north of the A286, near the old railway bridge at the eastern end of the village.
estate
The discovery was made at the West Dean Estate early yesterday afternoon Credit: West Dean Estate
Sgt Tom Carter, from Sussex Police, said he had never seen nor heard of sheep worrying on such a scale before - though said there had been a rise in reports in recent years.

He described the grim discovery as a "terrible sight".
While there are no signs of any of the animals being savaged, we are all but 100 per cent certain that their deaths were brought about by dogs.

The flock was last checked around lunchtime on Sunday, so the incident could have occurred at any time over the next 24 hours. However, if as we suspect it was a dog attack, it may well have happened in daylight and we want to hear from anyone with information about it.

This is not just about the Mr Wyeth's livelihood - and it will cost him at least another £2,000 to dispose of the carcasses - but also his emotional attachment to the animals that he has raised and nurtured.

We have seen a rise in sheep worrying incidents and as Spring approaches more dog owners will be heading for the countryside to exercise their pets. We urge people to keep their dogs on a lead while they are walking in rural areas and around livestock.

So often in these incidents the owners are horrified by what their dogs have done, but they have to accept that even the most docile of pets can quickly turn into a killer given the opportunity.

A farmer can legally shoot a dog that is chasing livestock and seek compensation from the person responsible for the animal, so please don't take the risk.

– SERGEANT TOM CARTER FROM SUSSEX POLICE
James Osman, the National Farmers' Union adviser for Sussex, said it was the "worst incident of its kind in living memory."

He added:
Talking to colleagues around the country, the number of deaths is double what we have come across in the past.

We are in full support of the police's efforts to discover whose dog or dogs were responsible and urge anyone with information to get in touch with them.

– JAMES OSMAN, THE NATIONAL FARMERS' UNION ADVISER FOR SUSSEX
Last updated Tue 8 Mar 2016

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Financial loss I can understand, the man runs a business. And no one would want to see animals suffer more than needed.

But 'emotional attachment'? You sell the lambs to an abbatoir, it is how you make your money!

D

Deleted member 2719

Financial loss I can understand, the man runs a business. And no one would want to see animals suffer more than needed.

But 'emotional attachment'? You sell the lambs to an abbatoir, it is how you make your money!

Yeah i thought that emotional attachment was a bit funny.

I wonder how long until someone says i saw a funny bright light in the sky that landed in the field......bla ...bla....bla..

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The lambs are sold but the females are kept for breeding. Farmers do have emotional attachments to their animals. It's not a sentimental emotion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here