Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MR16 Halogen or LED? Pros and Cons?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Need to replace some MR16 50w bulbs. Looking at prices at TLC direct do I go for:
MR16 Halogen £1.25 average life 4000 hours = 0.031p per hour
or MR16 LED at £8.50 average life 30,000 hrs = 0.028p per hour
Price per hour difference in terms of life expectancy is negligible but what about energy consumption? Is there much saving there?

My one concern is I bought a standard ES LED bulb from Homebase not so long ago and it only lasted a few months so actually worked out more expensive.
It's a risk if the LED fails earlier than expected. Any experience of reliability of MR16 amongst NSC

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Added to my dilemma is do I go for these supposedly better quality MR16 LED from TLC from TLC Direct at £8.50

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...Energy_Saving_Lamps_Index/MR16_Led/index.html

or do I go for these slightly cheaper, not sure about quality MR16 LED from QVS at £7.19

http://www.qvsdirect.com/4-5w-120degrees-smd-led-50mm-gu10-non-dimmable-lamp-light-bulb-warm-white

They both look quite different from each other. Prefer look of more expensive supposedly better quality one from TLC

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Take out the transformer and go GU10 LED. Did that for ~90 sockets in work and the heat and power savings are immense. New sockets were about a pound apiece.

D

Deleted member 2719

This thread is important to the nation so bumped it with a genuine question to sparkys.

We too have had issues with LED lights on dimmable switches, they are always blowing (lasting anywhere between 10 and 60 days).

Can i blame China???

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
For MR16 you probably have 12v transformers. The LEDs generally don't draw enough so end up flickering like a strobe!

You can get low draw transformers but they're about £20 a pop. Never thought of just switching to gu10 sockets!

D

Deleted member 2719

How many led lamps is the dimmer trying to control and what wattage are the lamps?
We did have 5 bulbs on each dimmer (2 dimmer/light fittings in lounge) they were candle led not sure of their wattage. We have recently fitted 2 new fittings (3months ago) these lights have 3 X g9 bulbs each at 27watts. The light fittings allow 33watts each.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We did have 5 bulbs on each dimmer (2 dimmer/light fittings in lounge) they were candle led not sure of their wattage. We have recently fitted 2 new fittings (3months ago) these lights have 3 X g9 bulbs each at 27watts. The light fittings allow 33watts each.
If the led lamps are dimmable and you have a 200w led dimmer things shouldn't really be an issue from what you have told me.

D

Deleted member 2719

If the led lamps are dimmable and you have a 200w led dimmer things shouldn't really be an issue from what you have told me.
Thanks, it appears I may need to change my dimmer switches to led ones!!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
To summarise, you need led bulbs that are dimmable, not all are and you need a LED dimmer switch, an ordinary one won't do.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to say that I hate MR 16 bulbs & fittings. I am certainly not an electrician. We bought this house with attractive recessed Halogen light fittings.
First problem, removing a spent bulb.. After cobbling together an improvised tool to pull it down, ( Thanks YouTube) there is the fiddly job of putting in the new one. Exasperation rules! ..Then it only lasts a few weeks.
Now we don't bother with them.. Have free standing up lighters from the power socket ...simple

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Try Integral these offer exc. performance at a better price than branded stuff. Decent non dimmable for about £4

The Poundland stuff is bottom of the pile using LED's with lower LUX output, you get what you pay for

Think ROI is very fast versus halogen, so much better than CFL's. Pay attention to colour, ie warm / cool white it makes a difference

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here