Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Heavy metal deafness.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think we've all been there with ears ringing for a couple of days after a gig.

I must be suffering or its something to do with my musical taste, but always been told to turn the volume down by the wife.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
After a Deep Purple gig I think mine were ringing for nearly a week !

Mine ring constantly and have done for years as I have tinnitus as a result of long term exposure to loud music. It's a horrible thing to have and even causes discomfort when I'm exposed to loud noises. It's quite a shocker when you realise that you can't have people next to you clapping in a football crowd without sticking your fingers in your ears. :nono:

Watch your volume folks.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I've recently started wearing ear plugs when gigging and wished I'd done it years ago. I don't have any problems that I'm aware of so I just hope I haven't already done the damage for later life.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's been deaf for years, if he heard his own singing he would have quit years ago.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm 52 & I've got hearing loss, have to wear hearing aids. The audiologists I have seen have said it is almost certainly due to loud music; I went to a lot of rock gigs between the ages of 16 & 25 (2 or 3 gigs a week) but the hearing probems didn't start until I was mid 30s.

Oh and as anyone with hearing problems will tell you, saying "pardon" or "sorry" is, quite simple, the absolute funniest and most original joke anyone has ever come up with

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh and as anyone with hearing problems will tell you, saying "pardon" or "sorry" is, quite simple, the absolute funniest and most original joke anyone has ever come up with

Pardon?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Either Brian is a bit thick and/or they need to employ a new sound engineer. Surely he should be wearing in ear monitors which allow the desk to control what sort of mix he hears and crucially at what volume?

The volume the crowd hears is not the same volume that the band hears on stage. Whether they are using wedge monitors or the more common in ear versions there is no reason why they should be deafening themselves.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Either Brian is a bit thick and/or they need to employ a new sound engineer. Surely he should be wearing in ear monitors which allow the desk to control what sort of mix he hears and crucially at what volume?

The volume the crowd hears is not the same volume that the band hears on stage. Whether they are using wedge monitors or the more common in ear versions there is no reason why they should be deafening themselves.

He's been doing it for 36 years with AC/DC, The damage may have been done some years ago.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suspect there is an innate vulnerability. I have been to over 1000 gigs. I remember leaving the Dome with my ears ringing (Family, early 70s, was Brutal). And I do 3 hours every day on the iPod, travelling to/from work. But my hearing is perfect. I suspect a lot of it is in the genes, and as with so many things, we can but hope that the blind croupier that oversaw our sperm and ovary dice roll was in a favourable mood at the crucial moment . . .

Jul 7, 2003
I've recently started wearing ear plugs when gigging and wished I'd done it years ago. I don't have any problems that I'm aware of so I just hope I haven't already done the damage for later life.

Same here. I went a couple of years between gigs and realised that the post concert ear ringing seemed to be getting worse / longer. Purchased some proper musicians ear plugs and they seem to work really well. If you look around at rock gigs with the older generation attending, you'll be surprised how many slip in a set of ear plugs just before the start.

Of course, the other problem is that your memory goes as you get older and you have to remember a) to pick them up before you go and b) where you left them!

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Same here. I went a couple of years between gigs and realised that the post concert ear ringing seemed to be getting worse / longer. Purchased some proper musicians ear plugs and they seem to work really well. If you look around at rock gigs with the older generation attending, you'll be surprised how many slip in a set of ear plugs just before the start.

Of course, the other problem is that your memory goes as you get older and you have to remember a) to pick them up before you go and b) where you left them!

You're so right and that why I keep mine in one of my drum cases so they're always there. I'm using Apine ear plugs. They come with 3 different inserts for noise control and a handy little case to keep them in. Bloody brilliant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here