Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kindle questions

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Is a kindle worth having?

How many books approximately can you store on it?

How long does the battery last for?

The wife has mentioned it for a potential birthday present and has asked me these questions, but I haven't ever owned one nor do I know anybody who uses one. So NSC needs to save the day again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, hundreds, a long time!

I've got the original but still going, usually lasts a 3-4 days of heavy holiday use without a charge.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have a Kindle Fire HD8 which does the books, music, videos, apps, internet, NSC and much more. On my second one now having had the first for three years. Battery doesn't last as long as the books only version probably charge it every three/four days or so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've thought of getting one of these many, many times for holidays in particular.

BUT - the thing that always stops me is that I'm quite partial to propping myself up in a swimming pool, on an all-inclusive, all lobstered-up and fully tanked up with Pina Colada's, whilst idly thumbing my way through a dog-eared paperback. If I drop that in the pool, then no biggie. I'll leave it on the balcony for a day and there's no harm done. Do that with a Kindle though, and its game over. Irate missus attacking me over my drinking, massive row in front of other startled guests, outpourings of numerous pent-up grievances, tears, a big scene, staff trying to calm us down, a fat american coming over and going "whoooa, buddy". I get aggressive, kick over a sun lounger, she storms off in tears, security are called, and I spend a night in a cell with Juan and his sexually ambiguous but highly insistent hombrés.

Nope. I'll stick to my £5.99 Wilbur Smiths in good old-fashioned paperback.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I've thought of getting one of these many, many times for holidays in particular.

BUT - the thing that always stops me is that I'm quite partial to propping myself up in a swimming pool, on an all-inclusive, all lobstered-up and fully tanked up with Pina Colada's, whilst idly thumbing my way through a dog-eared paperback. If I drop that in the pool, then no biggie. I'll leave it on the balcony for a day and there's no harm done. Do that with a Kindle though, and its game over. Irate missus attacking me over my drinking, massive row in front of other startled guests, outpourings of numerous pent-up grievances, tears, a big scene, staff trying to calm us down, a fat american coming over and going "whoooa, buddy". I get aggressive, kick over a sun lounger, she storms off in tears, security are called, and I spend a night in a cell with Juan and his sexually ambiguous but highly insistent hombrés.

Nope. I'll stick to my £5.99 Wilbur Smiths in good old-fashioned paperback.

28aa9ba562bc16c8c22b4096b6e6c732.jpg

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Get a paperwhite, can be seen in all light.

Buy it on Amazon for £79 ( with adverts) Without adverts was £120 at Christmas,
Then Phone Amazon and ask them to remove the adverts.,,,,,,, Simple way to save £40

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I like mine. I download a fair few new books when they're out, but I've also downloaded numerous classics for free. Handy for taking on flights etc, or sticking in my work bag.

That said, I still love to wander round a bookshop and flick through books. There's something satisfying about a fresh paperback.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

What's not to like? Go for it!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Get a paperwhite, can be seen in all light.

Buy it on Amazon for £79 ( with adverts) Without adverts was £120 at Christmas,
Then Phone Amazon and ask them to remove the adverts.,,,,,,, Simple way to save £40
This, or kindle voyage. Then you can read in bed with the light out. Don't bother with kindle tablets, the readers are all very very good with the higher end ones boasting greater definition.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have a Fire HDX 8.9, 4th generation.
I use it at work when on nights, just leave plugged in on desk, listening to music, watching films, of course reading and not forgetting NSC.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
This, or kindle voyage. Then you can read in bed with the light out. Don't bother with kindle tablets, the readers are all very very good with the higher end ones boasting greater definition.

I agree with you. The single biggest advantage is reading in bed at night with lights out - and then it turns itself off when there has been no page turning for a bit. Genius.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I wouldn't read without one. I like the feel of a kindle, it's easy to use, convenient, you can get them fairly cheaply now, you can sample books before you buy, they hold hundreds of books, the battery life is exceptional on the paper white that I have...

Honestly, I can't recommend them enough if you like reading.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here