Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Kindle questions

0 Not allowed!
    Is a kindle worth having?

How many books approximately can you store on it?

How long does the battery last for?

The wife has mentioned it for a potential birthday present and has asked me these questions, but I haven't ever owned one nor do I know anybody who uses one. So NSC needs to save the day again

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Yes, hundreds, a long time!

I've got the original but still going, usually lasts a 3-4 days of heavy holiday use without a charge.
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

0 Not allowed!
      I have a Kindle Fire HD8 which does the books, music, videos, apps, internet, NSC and much more. On my second one now having had the first for three years. Battery doesn't last as long as the books only version probably charge it every three/four days or so.

1 Not allowed!
      I've thought of getting one of these many, many times for holidays in particular.

BUT - the thing that always stops me is that I'm quite partial to propping myself up in a swimming pool, on an all-inclusive, all lobstered-up and fully tanked up with Pina Colada's, whilst idly thumbing my way through a dog-eared paperback. If I drop that in the pool, then no biggie. I'll leave it on the balcony for a day and there's no harm done. Do that with a Kindle though, and its game over. Irate missus attacking me over my drinking, massive row in front of other startled guests, outpourings of numerous pent-up grievances, tears, a big scene, staff trying to calm us down, a fat american coming over and going "whoooa, buddy". I get aggressive, kick over a sun lounger, she storms off in tears, security are called, and I spend a night in a cell with Juan and his sexually ambiguous but highly insistent hombrés.

Nope. I'll stick to my £5.99 Wilbur Smiths in good old-fashioned paperback.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've thought of getting one of these many, many times for holidays in particular.

BUT - the thing that always stops me is that I'm quite partial to propping myself up in a swimming pool, on an all-inclusive, all lobstered-up and fully tanked up with Pina Colada's, whilst idly thumbing my way through a dog-eared paperback. If I drop that in the pool, then no biggie. I'll leave it on the balcony for a day and there's no harm done. Do that with a Kindle though, and its game over. Irate missus attacking me over my drinking, massive row in front of other startled guests, outpourings of numerous pent-up grievances, tears, a big scene, staff trying to calm us down, a fat american coming over and going "whoooa, buddy". I get aggressive, kick over a sun lounger, she storms off in tears, security are called, and I spend a night in a cell with Juan and his sexually ambiguous but highly insistent hombrés.

Nope. I'll stick to my £5.99 Wilbur Smiths in good old-fashioned paperback.

0 Not allowed!
      Get a paperwhite, can be seen in all light.

Buy it on Amazon for £79 ( with adverts) Without adverts was £120 at Christmas,
      Then Phone Amazon and ask them to remove the adverts.,,,,,,, Simple way to save £40
      K55 BHA

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
      One of those round my neck ?
      Its a bit...."Partridge", isn't it ?
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

1 Not allowed!
      I like mine. I download a fair few new books when they're out, but I've also downloaded numerous classics for free. Handy for taking on flights etc, or sticking in my work bag.

That said, I still love to wander round a bookshop and flick through books. There's something satisfying about a fresh paperback.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

0 Not allowed!
      One of those round my neck ?
      Its a bit...."Partridge", isn't it ?
      I don't think it is compulsory to wear it.

0 Not allowed!
      What's not to like? Go for it!
      We've come a long long way together, through the hard times and the good
      I have to celebrate you Brighton, I have to praise you like I should