Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maria Sharapova failed drugs test*

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Former world number one Maria Sharapova has revealed she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open.

The Russian, 28, has played just four tournaments since Wimbledon, and only the Australian Open in 2016.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fixtures mate

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did they find a kilo of crack in her knickers? Or was that Fatima Whitbread?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Russian fails drug test shock.

I fully expect Stat Brother to pop up to remind everyone that football is riddled with drugs shortly.
No I'm just surprised nobody suspected anything when she started riding a bike around the pitch.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm only posting on this thread to piss Trigaaar off :wave:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Seems to be a right unprofessional cock up. She failed for a medication used to treat circulation problems that she says she's been taking for a decade. The drug got added to the banned list at the turn of the new year but neither Sharapova or any of her team bothered to check the revised list against her treatments. Amateurish.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Will be interesting to find out why the substance became a banned substance and in what quantities she claims to have taken the drug over a 10 year period. And finally, and more importantly will she stop grunting like a pig now that she has stopped using it

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Seems to be a right unprofessional cock up. She failed for a medication used to treat circulation problems that she says she's been taking for a decade. The drug got added to the banned list at the turn of the new year but neither Sharapova or any of her team bothered to check the revised list against her treatments. Amateurish.

And that could well be the end of her tennis career.

I agree with Pevenseagull, she's got enough people around her to know what to take and what not to. It'll be interesting to see what happens now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's amazing how many top sportsmen and women, from all sports, require daily medication for all manner of illnesses. :dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If its a russian, I kind of just assume that they're doped up to the eyeballs now. Its the law over there, isn't it ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can't believe that a Russian would ever take drugs....unless told to.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I fully expect Sharapova's doctor and/or or coach to meet their demise within the next six months from a mysterious undiagnosed heart problem..thus tidying things up.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
maria.jpg

Cant see any drugs from here.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If what she said is true (and I think it prob is), it's a huge error from her team - I assume she relies on them to act on such emails! But it's also an honest mistake and she wasn't taking them to enhance performance so hope the punishment is lenient - if they can prove what she said is true...

If she's been taking it for 10 years surely they can check old samples before it was banned years ago to check if it was in her system then...?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
100% her teams fault IMO, that's one of their jobs

Really ?

So an athlete has absolutely NO personal responsibility as to what drugs are being pumped into their bodies ? They can absolve themselves of all responsibilties because they have a team around them ? Come on.

As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] says, its quite amazing how many athletes, who you would assume are at the absolute pinnacle of health and fitness, still seem to require a cocktail of drugs just to keep themselves "ticking over" in a professional sense.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Laughable to suggest a tennis player is at the pinnacle of health and fitness

They are nearly always carrying some sort of injury given the brutal nature of the sport

Not really a surprise they need to take certain things which amateur athletes wouldn't bother with

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Really ?

So an athlete has absolutely NO personal responsibility as to what drugs are being pumped into their bodies ? They can absolve themselves of all responsibilties because they have a team around them ? Come on.

As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] says, its quite amazing how many athletes, who you would assume are at the absolute pinnacle of health and fitness, still seem to require a cocktail of drugs just to keep themselves "ticking over" in a professional sense.

Is cortisone still allowed? In terms of performance enhancing that's got to be as profound as it gets. I fractured my arse falling down stairs a few years ago and could barely walk, a blast of that stuff and an hour or so later I could do star jumps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here