Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rags to riches sports films - recommendations please

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Hi all,

As per the title, can anyone recommend some decent rags to riches / underdogs triumph sports films? I watched 'Wildcats' at the weekend, a favourite from my youth and it's got me in the mood for sports films :)

Tried to watch 'Goal' on YouTube last night but ended up watching 'fail' compilations for an hour and a half.

Dave

PS: Wildcats has not aged particularly well. A bit like Goldie Hawn I guess.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One answer:-

Cool Runnings - The only film to consistently make me cry.

End of Thread.

oh - Aren't all sports films 'rags to riches'?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Rudy is a great underdog story as is Invincible. Both are based on true stories too.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
McFarland, USA

Synopsis from Amazon: Inspired by the 1987 true story, "McFarland" follows high school coach Jim White, whose job hopping leads him to McFarland High School located in an agricultural community of California's farm-rich Central Valley. Given Jim's challenging past, he know's he has to make this job his last - he's out of options in both career and family and finds himself in a community that is worlds apart from his previous hometowns. The White family and students have a lot to learn from each other but when Coach White notices the boys' exceptional running abilty, things begin to change. But soon he is impressed by more than their athletic talent - the power of family relationships, their unwavering commitment to one another and their incredible work ethic.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Cinderella Man

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Cinderella Man - Based on ture story about James J. Braddock, who was the inspiration for the Rocky films.

Moneyball - Starring Brad Pitt, about the Oakland Athletics 2002 season and funnily enough where the concept of moneyball originated.

Both good films, presonally I think Cinderella Man is great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another vote for Cinderella Man. Paul Giamatti is fantastic in that as his trainer.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Seabiscuit is another goody.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here