Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Snapchat

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Any keen Snapchatters on NSC?

I've had it on my phone for ages, but never really got round to using it, largely because the UI is so confusing that I didn't really understand how to use the bloody thing. (How Snapchat Built A Business By Confusing Olds)

However, with the investment of a little bit of time over the weekend, I think I've got it now.

I'll start by saying that I have no real interest in using it to send messages or selfies (that disappear) to friends, which is where the app seemed to start off and, I imagine amongst the kidz, it is still widely used for precisely that.

The "Story" feature is really nice though - you can keep adding pictures or (up to) 10 second video sequences to a rolling 24-hour story that plays sequentially for those that open it, and they don't disappear upon viewing like regular 'snaps'. Some

Probably the best feature for me though, are the Snapchat-curated 'live' stories where they piece together snaps from seemingly random users involved, or at, the same event. Over the weekend they put these together for the Spurs v Arsenal and Real Madrid v Celta matches, and both offer a great insight of the whole day from the viewpoints of various fans.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I tried it, I hated it.

Must have been a year or two ago that I got told to download it, and I used it for a month or so. it was mainly used between me and friends and colleagues to send ridiculous abuse or 'amusing' pictures between eachother. But that quickly wore off.

I am 27 so hope I am not considered an oldie, but I just can;t be dealing with these apps these days. If I want to send a picture to someone why do I want it to disappear?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Any keen Snapchatters on NSC?

I've had it on my phone for ages, but never really got round to using it, largely because the UI is so confusing that I didn't really understand how to use the bloody thing. (How Snapchat Built A Business By Confusing Olds)

However, with the investment of a little bit of time over the weekend, I think I've got it now.

I'll start by saying that I have no real interest in using it to send messages or selfies (that disappear) to friends, which is where the app seemed to start off and, I imagine amongst the kidz, it is still widely used for precisely that.

The "Story" feature is really nice though - you can keep adding pictures or (up to) 10 second video sequences to a rolling 24-hour story that plays sequentially for those that open it, and they don't disappear upon viewing like regular 'snaps'. Some

Probably the best feature for me though, are the Snapchat-curated 'live' stories where they piece together snaps from seemingly random users involved, or at, the same event. Over the weekend they put these together for the Spurs v Arsenal and Real Madrid v Celta matches, and both offer a great insight of the whole day from the viewpoints of various fans.

The addition of stories was a great move by Snapchat. Places like the Verge are using it to really good effect, giving you initial impressions of things they see at tech shows very quickly and in a logical, linear format. Because it's all images and video taken on their phone they can quickly get stuff up with remarkable speed, and it's got just enough editing tools (addition of text etc...) to add to your Snaps without it becoming overly complex.

Also the face filters are fun.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I tried it, I hated it.

Must have been a year or two ago that I got told to download it, and I used it for a month or so. it was mainly used between me and friends and colleagues to send ridiculous abuse or 'amusing' pictures between eachother. But that quickly wore off.

I am 27 so hope I am not considered an oldie, but I just can;t be dealing with these apps these days. If I want to send a picture to someone why do I want it to disappear?

Literally all of that.
Friends use it, got told to download it, used it for about a month, got bored, deleted it.

I have started using Flickr recently though, however it's purely for uploading photo's and using it as an open photo album.

I've also downloaded Instagram today, but don't really know what it's purpose is when you already have Facebook and/or Flickr?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've also downloaded Instagram today, but don't really know what it's purpose is when you already have Facebook and/or Flickr?

Instagram is MUCH better at connecting people/interests than Flickr. Also, more brands, celebrities etc.

Flickr has better photos. But 500px is better still, if you want to show/see great pics.

But I guess Flickr still has its place as a digital photo album...

1066gull

Bozza, maybe you can contact snapchat and see if they are interested in recruiting somebody from sorting the Brighton local snaps? Whenever you're in Brighton you can stamp your snap with the Brighton wheel, but I would love to see a daily Brighton live story that occasionally gets published nationally.

It would be so cool to see a Live story of Brighton fans at the Amex. In London we have a daily live story showing what's happening around London. For it to happen to Brighton snapchat need to recruit someone locally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Given Snapchat seems to be a medium for teenagers to sext each other, this could be quite interesting when the neighbours are away and their son has a house party.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I don't use it, I cant get my head round it, however the people I know who use it basically have it to get sent filthy pictures.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Snapchat is great if you've got a group of mates who actually use it.

It may be, but my use case is different. Those I communicate with via messaging are done via iMessage (with the occasional Android freak reverting to SMS) or Facebook Messenger.

I have no real need for another platform to use for messaging, even given Snapchat's funky filters and face lenses etc. But the live feeds they curate are really good - particularly the football ones.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, maybe you can contact snapchat and see if they are interested in recruiting somebody from sorting the Brighton local snaps? Whenever you're in Brighton you can stamp your snap with the Brighton wheel, but I would love to see a daily Brighton live story that occasionally gets published nationally.

It would be so cool to see a Live story of Brighton fans at the Amex. In London we have a daily live story showing what's happening around London. For it to happen to Brighton snapchat need to recruit someone locally.

Or a special geofilter when a game is on? $138 to do one tomorrow between 5pm and 11pm!

$69 between 7pm and 10pm.

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 12.33.36.png

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Or a special geofilter when a game is on?

Does that mean that any snapchat content taken during those times, at the Amex is put together onto one of these stories by snapchat? That would be awesome - seems like a decent price especially if you can put NSC branding on it.

Then again, it seems very unlikely it would drive enough people here and in turn make a discernable difference to revenue. So it's just a cost.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Literally all of that.
Friends use it, got told to download it, used it for about a month, got bored, deleted it.

I have started using Flickr recently though, however it's purely for uploading photo's and using it as an open photo album.

If you follow the right people on Instagram you can find some amazing photographers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here