Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offside goals

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not seen them both again but looked didn't look as though we had any complaints with either, but view from behind the goal is not the best.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Hemed's was clearly offside. Murphy's was fractional but probably correct. However what has been missed by many was Stockdale's superb fingertip save to divert the Woods shot onto the bar. This won us a point as no way were we looking likely to score yesterday.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just found this. Sorry, but he looked on-side to me at the time, and I reckon he was.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...ns/championship/10193375/preston-0-0-brighton

I've managed to capture the moment the ball is released by Knockaert here. I reckon Murphy is a foot onside, and even if that isn't the exact time it is released, I can't believe he's offside. Very tight, but ON-side for me:

onside.png

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Just found this. Sorry, but he looked on-side to me at the time, and I reckon he was.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...ns/championship/10193375/preston-0-0-brighton

I've managed to capture the moment the ball is released by Knockaert here. I reckon Murphy is a foot onside, and even if that isn't the exact time it is released, I can't believe he's offside. Very tight, but ON-side for me:

View attachment 72872

Isn't it still based on any part of the body that can legally play the ball?

If so, then that image to me says that his feet may be just onside but his head is off side as he is going toward the goal and the defenders away. Infact on second look, I would say even his right foot is offisde

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't it still based on any part of the body that can legally play the ball?

If so, then that image to me says that his feet may be just onside but his head is off side as he is going toward the goal and the defenders away. Infact on second look, I would say even his right foot is offisde

Really? To me his right foot looks level at worst! Defender is to the left of the D and his left foot is miles further inside the D than Murphy's.

Very harsh decision I think, but an easy one to get wrong in defence of the lino.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Really? To me his right foot looks level at worst! Defender is to the left of the D and his left foot is miles further inside the D than Murphy's.

Very harsh decision I think, but an easy one to get wrong in defence of the lino.

The angle doesn't help to be fair. I guess at the end of the day it won't change anything. Just like Lampard against the Germans.

It's been a great season and we are still well in with a shout of autos, but more likely playoffs unless we implode

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

View attachment 72872

That is very tight. Murphy looks more central in the D and his right foot looks closer to the edge of it than the defenders left foot, suggesting he is probably marginally onside. His head also looks roughly in line with his right foot. But with the players moving in opposite directions, you can understand why the linesman could've got it wrong. It was a very tight decision either way.

We can't change it now. Move on and lets get three points on Tuesday!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is that the view from the POSH SEATS?

Yes, YES it is. Well actually, we were a bit to the RIGHT.

By the way, when our second disallowed goal went in, we all cheered naturally (before it was called offside). Some of the locals were embarrassing. It's one thing seeing stroppy kids in their 20s getting upset at away fans in the home areas, but two in particular stroppy tossers must have been in their SIXTIES.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Isn’t there an unwritten understanding that there has to be daylight between the players?

If there was a video replay for tight decisions the ref would have probably given the goal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn’t there an unwritten understanding that there has to be daylight between the players?
No.

Still, it was onside and should have counted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've only watched the extended highlights on Player, but I can see why that goal was offside. What I don't see is why the Rosenior shot was ruled offside in the second half. Kirkland spilled it, but even before that I can't see who was offside. It's probably the camera angle.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have long lost track of the offside rule as players seem to still be offside long after they originally strayed past the last man. But that aside, is there still an element of the rule that says the attacking player should receive the benefit of the doubt?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I have long lost track of the offside rule as players seem to still be offside long after they originally strayed past the last man. But that aside, is there still an element of the rule that says the attacking player should receive the benefit of the doubt?

*UNLESS the opposition is Brighton & Hove Albion. Accoring to Rule # 127.4 Appendix 3

biddles911

May 12, 2014

Yes, I keep hearing that said on TV but, having read the rule, they appear to be talking rubbish (surprise!?).

Did we deserve to win though?! Wasn't there so no idea really but we don't appear to have threatened much anyway so a draw may have been a fair result? Given Preston's recent form a point seems pretty good to me.

Also think we seem to be the only team in the mix not bottling it at present which bodes well. Even Burnley were pretty lucky against Blackburn, I thought, and surely their recent run must come to an end soon.......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really? To me his right foot looks level at worst!

The position of his foot is utterly irrelevant in this instance, as his shoulder / chest are further forward.

No, there isn't.

If there was a video replay for tight decisions the ref would have probably given the goal.

If it were actually onside. Which it probably wasn't. We'll never actually know, of course, unless there is a better camera angle available.

What I don't see is why the Rosenior shot was ruled offside in the second half. Kirkland spilled it, but even before that I can't see who was offside. It's probably the camera angle.

The Rosenior shot (itself) wasn't offiside (and would have counted had it gone in). 3 players were stood offside though, when he hit it, and were considered 'active' at the moment Kirkland spilled it. Kirkland was a lucky man - it was a shocking bit of keeping.

is there still an element of the rule that says the attacking player should receive the benefit of the doubt?

Not in any rule, no.

Its up to the lino to interpret each decision, ultimately, regardless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Rosenior shot (itself) wasn't offiside (and would have counted had it gone in). 3 players were stood offside though, when he hit it, and were considered 'active' at the moment Kirkland spilled it. Kirkland was a lucky man - it was a shocking bit of keeping.

Its up to the lino to interpret each decision, ultimately, regardless.

I get the 'interfering with play' rule, so once Kirkland has spilled it, they were 'interfering'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here