Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora v Lua Lua

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Imagine this won't go down well with some.... But here it goes.

Watched Zamora in some detail yesterday, didn't seem interested during the warm up, stood around and looked an isolated figure for large periods. Didn't warm up at any stage during the game and kept his coat and bobble hat on at all times.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the man, what he's done and how highly he's regarded, but yesterday was maybe an ideal game for him to come on with 15 to go and replace a tired looking Hemed, but no, nothing, no sign and no effort to even warm up.

Begs the question really... Wouldn't we be better off having a chomping at the bit Lua Lua on the bench ? A real impact player, pace and trickery and someone that can change the game for us.

Maybe wrongly, I'm concerned Bobby is now taking a place on the bench when it's becoming apparent he's looking less and less likely to feature.

(The only reason I can think of for his inactivity yesterday is Tuesday's game, but is he really likely to start ahead of Hemed and Baldock ?)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As someone who was loudly critical of BZ's return, I don't see how it's possible to be critical of him and the way he's been managed now we're in March.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Not uninterested, not isolated, just protecting his aged body.

In some matches Lua Lua coming on instead of Zamora would be preferable. In others the other way round.

But yesterday I doubt Lua Lua would have got on anyway.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon we'll mix the bench up on Tuesday with Bong and KLL back in place of Calde and Skalak. Still a place for Bobby on it, if fit.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Not uninterested, not isolated, just protecting his aged body.

In some matches Lua Lua coming on instead of Zamora would be preferable. In others the other way round.

But yesterday I doubt Lua Lua would have got on anyway.

I get you... But is protecting his aged body on the bench at Preston the right way to do that ?

Protect it in Brighton and allow others the chance to impact the game. In effect, we had 6 subs yesterday, I'd rather he rest up and feature when he is ready.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I assume he only warms up when he is told to so perhaps your comments should be aimed at Hughton?

if he does enough to tick over just incase a red or injury forces a change that includes BZ then i'd go with this

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I assume he only warms up when he is told to so perhaps your comments should be aimed at Hughton?

Two things... Do you think he tells Calde to warm up ? Secondly, why wouldn't he take part in any of the pre match warm up ? Or would you suggest that's down to Hughton ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Zamora Shirts.
It was said his return would maybe finance itself with the sale of his shirts. TBH I don't see that many. Any idea what the Christmas top sellers were?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Don't forget the goal she has scored when Hemed was misfiring and Baldock wasn't fit.

Additionally his experience is invaluable around the squad.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Clearly coat and bobble hat doing their job - no need perhaps?

Did any others on the bench that didn't get on the pitch warm up? Mäenpää, Greer & Calderon

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Not sure about two defenders on the bench maybe another attacking option would be better

Greer is a central defender, Calderon can cover either full back. If something had happened to Rosenior yesterday and Calderon wasn't on the bench, who would have covered? Not at all comfortable with the idea of Albion going three at the back.
Covering your defence is just as important as making sure you are covered in midfield and upfront.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It is very generous to assume that LuaLua is "chomping at the bit". I'm not convinced he has that sort of attitude. He has a part to play later in the run in, all of the players do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two things... Do you think he tells Calde to warm up ?
No idea. What's that got tto do with BZ?

Secondly, why wouldn't he take part in any of the pre match warm up ?
Again, no idea; but if taking physio's advice or Hughton's instructions, where's the problem? Perhaps he was practising his 'not interested' look in order to lull Preston defenders into a false sense of security.........

Or would you suggest that's down to Hughton ?
Well, of course it is; as was the decision to have cover for Hemed on the bench instead of having our third AND fourth wingers sitting there, when just the one is sufficient to cover injury to a winger, or to replace one of them for tactical reasons. Good management by CH imho.

Why do I feel the need to put an unnecessary space in front of a question mark ?
No idea about that either!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If he was in no way expecting to play then why would he warm up without being told to? Entirely feasible that CH named him solely as a plan C, truth is, none of us know. He might even have been feeling unwell, again, no clue.

If a player is injured during the game there's normally a few minutes at least for the replacement to have a small run around (not ideal but it's something), maybe that was what was being banked on?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Clutching at straws here. You can't say LuaLua is chomping at the bit as you don't know what he is like or what is happening. Especially just because he posts silly pictures on Twitter

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought Zamora and Greer might last the season. Doesn't look like it now. Over to the youngsters like Bruno!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Clutching at straws here. You can't say LuaLua is chomping at the bit as you don't know what he is like or what is happening. Especially just because he posts silly pictures on Twitter
'Sinister' rumours were mentioned on a previous thread, but no details provided.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here