Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for Apple gurus reference wifi

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Morning....

Here is a problem I cant fix...( normally I'm quite good) I have just bought a new wifi extender (N) I can connect my laptop and my iphone 4gs and mt wifes iphone 5,
BUT it will not connect to the ipad telling me PASSWORD INCORRECT,

I know its the correct password

I have reset the network settings, hard reset the ipad but nothing.

Any ideas and yes before the wise brigade wake up i have turned it off and on several times ....

Thanks

UTA

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
There really shouldn't be a problem, unless your iPad has a fault with the wireless.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
call me sad old fashioned,call me out of touch,call me bob harry sue or claire it matters not,in fact i insist,but.............i still have a 2011 blackberry and i love it......i'm no sheep and i don't care for apps,saps or apple carts.....who cares if a small apple became a glowing empire,who cares if those that failed to see the future did not bank there blackberry shares in 2007 and are now worth less.....i don't....................daughter loves apple,wifey loves samsung.......me? i hear you ask? bold,blackberry bold......i would have gone for a classic but why bother.....long story short......(that is all) tnx...:ffsparr:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
go on settings and re set ipad....or bin it

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it case sensitive?

That reminds me of my first ISP many, many years ago. I had a problem logging on, so called their 'help' line.

An elderly lady answered and when i explained that I couldn't log on she asked me to hold for a moment. Cue 2 minutes of rustling papers on the other end of the line, after which she obviously found her support sheets and slowly read to me 'Do you have caps lock on ?'

When I told her I didn't, she took my number and told me someone would have to call back :lolol:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Had a similar problem with my sons ipad which was only a few months old. After lots of head scratching and testing I finally discovered that it wouldn't connect to any 5g wireless connections and would only connect to 2g, every other device in the household including 2 other ipads had no problem connecting to 5g or 2g and it only came to notice when I replaced my router which broadcast both standards. The same error occurred that you have with the message, 'wrong password' coming up every time. Strangely it would connect if the ipad was literally on top of the router. I suspect you have a similar issue, try putting the ipad as close to your wifi extender as possible and check whether it is 5g or 2g. I ended up taking it to the Apple store who tried to fob me off with their usual technobabble delivered by some smug bearded hipster type festooned with card passes and ID cards all around his neck! Took their crap advice and returned home to find the fault still persisted and went back to Apple who to their credit simply replaced it one for one. Its a known fault which you can find some reference to online.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So the wireless network hasn't changed name? Check in the settings that you are trying to connect to the correct network. I would try and connect to another one and then back to yours. Sometimes it will give it the kick to work again. It seems very odd to me

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I bought a Netgear's AC750, with 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands. My Hudl works perfectly on 5 ghz, but 2.4 kept dropping. Some devices (phone, netbook, laptop) don't recognise the 5 ghz band at all, and some don't recognise the admin web page. Gave up on the 2.4 ghz band. It's all very hit-and-miss.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
What OS is it?
There are known issues with iOS 9.0 onwards because of the new 1024 bit encryption code it uses. It gives exactly the glitch you are describing, saying wrong password even though its not. Sad to say not a lot you can do but if you keep trying it should just eventually let you on.

IOS 9.2.1 seems slightly better so upgrade to this if you can would be my advice, or try a network reset under the general tab. (Edit sorry just read you've tried that!)

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When you say you've reset the network settings, do you mean you've gone into the network settings on your ipad and selected 'forget this network'?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sad to say not a lot you can do but if you keep trying it should just eventually let you on.

Well there is, take the phone back to the Apple shop, walk a few yards to Car Phone Warehouse and buy a phone with Android on it - problem gone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you tried disconnecting all the other devices (airplane mode will do) so the iPad is the only device trying to connect?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Had a similar problem with my sons ipad which was only a few months old. After lots of head scratching and testing I finally discovered that it wouldn't connect to any 5g wireless connections and would only connect to 2g, every other device in the household including 2 other ipads had no problem connecting to 5g or 2g and it only came to notice when I replaced my router which broadcast both standards. The same error occurred that you have with the message, 'wrong password' coming up every time. Strangely it would connect if the ipad was literally on top of the router. I suspect you have a similar issue, try putting the ipad as close to your wifi extender as possible and check whether it is 5g or 2g. I ended up taking it to the Apple store who tried to fob me off with their usual technobabble delivered by some smug bearded hipster type festooned with card passes and ID cards all around his neck! Took their crap advice and returned home to find the fault still persisted and went back to Apple who to their credit simply replaced it one for one. Its a known fault which you can find some reference to online.

Heres what happened,
My extender kept dropping, I could not reset it as it would not allow me into the control panel, so I bought a new one ( only £10 on ebay)
the new one uses the same spec as the old one ( 2.4 )
The network name has not changed,
The password has not changed.
i can log on my laptop, iphones x 2 , Kindle and work secure computer....but not the poxy ipad.

Its not a great drama but sometimes her indoors likes to use the ipad upstairs and the virgin hub although fast dont have the balls to end a strong signal upstairs.

basically all settings are the same ......

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I assume you've check the extender's firmware, via a device that does connect?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here