Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roads in East Sussex.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Travelling down to Hastings this afternoon on M25 was quite a pleasure with no hold ups.Enter the domain of A21 to Hastings, the roads seem to trend in to something resembling medieval times.
Bloody pot holes everywhere, it's bad having to dodge them.
Is the local authority that hard up on the highway maintenance side, that repairs cannot be afforded.
The new Bexhill Hastings bypass seems great, but as to local roads they are crap.
Rant over :)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Not sure but I think A21 is maintained by Highways England rather than East Sussex County Council

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When I visit East Sussex I am always shocked by the state of the roads, I think they may have done something about it but the road from Eastbourne to Heathfield was appalling.
BUT, I went to Tunbridge Wells to look up my old haunts and house etc and they were far worse, truly dreadful.
The roads in Plymouth took a pasting over the past few years but they have re-laid (not top dressed) almost every road over the past 2 years.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not just in East Sussex, I have noticed a marked decline in the quality of the road surfaces in Brighton as well as West Sussex. Whether this is due to the recent wet weather, normal maintenance cycles or cost cutting im not sure.

As an example today going west on the A27 coming up to Lyons Farm there were several largish areas where the entire top surface had gone, meaning all cars where swerving to avoid, whereas the east side of the dual carriage had obviously been relaid recently.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The local council of Hillingdon, use a company to patch up holes and such like.A lot of the times they may as well use porridge for all the good it does.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Travelling down to Hastings this afternoon on M25 was quite a pleasure with no hold ups.Enter the domain of A21 to Hastings, the roads seem to trend in to something resembling medieval times.
Is the local authority that hard up on the highway maintenance side, that repairs cannot be afforded.
The new Bexhill Hastings bypass seems great, but as to local roads they are crap.

If it's the A21, it's the responsibility of the Highways Agency, not the local authority.

Either way, funding for just about everything has been cut, so good luck with the suspension.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The A27 westbound opposite the Amex is one freezing night away from totally breaking up. Can't believe they have let it get so bad.

Blown a couple of blown tyres round the back roads of East Sussex this year. Given up trying to claim money back from ESCC. Total waste of time filling out the forms.

Jul 7, 2003
Not just in East Sussex, I have noticed a marked decline in the quality of the road surfaces in Brighton as well as West Sussex. Whether this is due to the recent wet weather, normal maintenance cycles or cost cutting im not sure.

As an example today going west on the A27 coming up to Lyons Farm there were several largish areas where the entire top surface had gone, meaning all cars where swerving to avoid, whereas the east side of the dual carriage had obviously been relaid recently.

A27 is Highways Agency, not the Council. There are weeks of overnight roadworks planned where hopefully, they might even fix some of these. Then again, we thought the same last year and aut-assault course that is the westbound A27 on Crockhurst Hill has still not been fixed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A27 is Highways Agency, not the Council. There are weeks of overnight roadworks planned where hopefully, they might even fix some of these. Then again, we thought the same last year and aut-assault course that is the westbound A27 on Crockhurst Hill has still not been fixed.

Thanks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Interesting you mention medieval. The reason Sussex remained a saxon stronghold, particularly the Weald, was that the densely wooded, undulating countryside with boggy clay soils was very hard to build and maintain good thoroughfares in. As such, the crap roads are part of our identity.

East Sussex is also the only county in the south east, and one of few counties in England, with no motorways.

We wunt be druv.

The section of the A27 at Firle has been resurfaced this week. Balfour Beattie, on behalf of Highways England. So far so good. They have now moved on in the direction of Selmeston.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
We live in a third world country where our roads are concerned. It's a fekkin embarrasment that we pay pay billions to the EU so that the roads across Europe are superb and ours are absolute shite.
Please vote accordingly in June

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We live in a third world country where our roads are concerned. It's a fekkin embarrasment that we pay pay billions to the EU so that the roads across Europe are superb and ours are absolute shite.
I agree with your sentiments regarding the referendum, however I am guessing you've never visited a third world country?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I...no, no, I don't think we do live in a third world country in terms of infrastructure.

I get the point but I can't imagine someone from Ethiopia standing at the side of the A27 and weeping for the citizens of East Sussex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we had the natural resources of some third world countries, China would have come along and built us some of the very best roads in the world.

I believe our roads are 'heavier' than those on the continent, as we prefer more grip in the winter, compared to the sheets of glass across the channel.
I guess that makes them harder to maintain.

Although how filling up craters with hot tar and throwing gravel on top can be classed as maintenance I'm not too sure.

Not used the A21 but when travelling to and from Ruislip to Worthing never had to many Dramas on the M25,always found that if people obey the variable speeds and stay in Lane it flows quite well.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here