Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Decriminalise prostitution, says Jeremy Corbyn

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Labour leader had been taking part in a question and answer session at Goldsmiths University, in London, on Thursday.

According to the Guardian, he said: "I am in favour of decriminalising the sex industry. I don't want people to be criminalised. I want to be [in] a society where we don't automatically criminalise people.

"Let's do things a bit differently and in a bit more civilised way."

Backbench Labour MP Jess Phillips criticised Mr Corbyn's comments on Twitter.

"Man says we should decriminalize a known violence against women. Why did it have to be this man," she wrote.

But the English Collective of Prostitutes, which campaigns for decriminalisation, voiced its support for Mr Corbyn's comments.

Supporters of decriminalisation include Amnesty International, which says it would mean sex workers are "no longer forced to live outside the law".

Ms Harman tweeted: "Prostitution's exploitation and abuse not "work/an industry". Women should be protected and men prosecuted."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35724897

It's unlikely any fine upstanding members of the NSC parish have any personal experience in this area but if you have feel free to share ... Is this a good idea? Is Corbyn right? Vote winner?

By the way who knew there was an English Collective of Prostitutes!? Are the other home nations properly represented, we need to be told.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think he's right just as long as both parties involved are consenting. I've always found it bizarre it's illegal to sell sex yet some people marry a partner because of their money which surely is just the same.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not got any personal experience here but decriminalising it surely has to be a win-win. Safer for everyone, cleans up neighbourhoods, brings in revenue to the Treasury, frees up police time and removes gangsters and pimps from the equation.

edit - That Collective of Prostitutes have been around for years, haven't they? I remember them having a march or demonstration years back in Soho about something or other.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
By the way who knew there was an English Collective of Prostitutes!? Are the other home nations properly represented, we need to be told.

My experience of lovely Aberdeen in my Offshore Years (1991 to 2012) is that the Jock Collective of Prostitutes would be largely Eastern European these days.

Not that I indulged you understand but I was propositioned now & again late night on Union Street.

The Eastern Europeans were not only better looking but spoke far better English...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Doubt it's a vote winner as public opinion will be split half and half.

Think it might be a good thing, would always go for de criminalising and dealing with the social outcomes in a positive way but would be concerned about it giving an easy reign for people exploiting vulnerable men/women girls/boys.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I think he's right just as long as both parties involved are consenting. I've always found it bizarre it's illegal to sell sex yet some people marry a partner because of their money which surely is just the same.

Issues around non-consentual sex already have their own laws.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not got any personal experience here but decriminalising it surely has to be a win-win. Safer for everyone, cleans up neighbourhoods, brings in revenue to the Treasury, frees up police time and removes gangsters and pimps from the equation.

edit - That Collective of Prostitutes have been around for years, haven't they? I remember them having a march or demonstration years back in Soho about something or other.

and secondly it might stop MP's prosituting themselves to the big companies

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
My experience of lovely Aberdeen in my Offshore Years (1991 to 2012) is that the Jock Collective of Prostitutes would be largely Eastern European these days.

Not that I indulged you understand but I was propositioned now & again late night on Union Street.

The Eastern Europeans were not only better looking but spoke far better English...

I'm not sure if your experience is an argument for or against EU migration :wink:

I did a bit of window shopping in Amsterdam many many years ago. Not with any serious intention of making a purchase you understand.

Agree with many of the previous posts decriminalising is the way to go. I doubt this will help get Labour votes or increase party unity though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agree with many of the previous posts decriminalising is the way to go. I doubt this will help get Labour votes or increase party unity though.

You know what, I don't think this issue is half as contentious as it used to be. I reckon most people of all political persuasions recognise it's never going to go away and perhaps now is exactly the time to have a grown up debate about it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You know what, I don't think this issue is half as contentious as it used to be. I reckon most people of all political persuasions recognise it's never going to go away and perhaps now is exactly the time to have a grown up debate about it.

You may be right although the predictable reaction from a particularly strident brand of leftist feminism exemplified by Ms Harman and Jess Phillips leads me to believe it is virtually impossible to have a grown up constructive debate about any of these issues.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Maybe.

But because Jeremy Corbyn has commented on it, Sky has already leapt on it with the headline 'Corbyn under fire over sex work comments'.

It's a headline taken from the fact that a female Labour MP has cricitised his comments (about decriminalising prostitution), which they've picked up on. She then later tweeted she misunderstood what he was saying, and agreed with his stance, which funnily enough hasn't been picked up on.

A grown up debate can't be had if the media are only interested in criticising the messenger, rather than the messge.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You may be right although the predictable reaction from a particularly strident brand of leftist feminism exemplified by Ms Harman and Jess Phillips leads me to believe it is virtually impossible to have a grown up constructive debate about any of these issues.

You may well be right but surely legalising it empowers the prostitutes. It puts all the power in their hands. Anyhow, the feminist movement can't have it both ways. On the one hand they say that abortion is ultimately the decision of the mother as its her body. I reckon the same principle should apply with legalised prostitution.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You may well be right but surely legalising it empowers the prostitutes. It puts all the power in their hands. Anyhow, the feminist movement can't have it both ways. On the one hand they say that abortion is ultimately the decision of the mother as its her body. I reckon the same principle should apply with legalised prostitution.

I agree it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If a person of age agrees a contract to exchange sex for money then it is the business of no-one else. It should not be unlawful.

Whilst some women (and men) freely engage out of considered will (a friend of mine was a prostitute for many years) some find themselves in that situation because of disturbing backgrounds and unscrupulous characters.

Legalising prostitution and telling these people that they are not criminals is the first step to resolving many ills.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

You say that but they don't seem to have worked it out on the drug front yet do they?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The police have agreed for managed prostitution in Leeds and other cities are considering it too.

By having some order to the business it can make a start at addressing the issues of sexual health and drugs that surround the business.

The police should be focussing on the pimps and people smugglers who exploit these girls, who are more victims than criminals IMO. No one in their right mind would want to be noshing a 50 year old balding photocopier rep in the back of a Mondeo for £20 unless they had some more serious issues in their life to deal with.

I think Corbyn is right, not that it will make people want to vote any more for him or against him.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyone ask Jeremy Clarkson what he thinks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here