Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Barber on TV Deal.

0 Not allowed!
    On occasions, live TV selections may be declined for operational, policing or fixture timing reasons but this is rare - and has to be done so with good and justifiable reasons. Clubs recognise that the League has contractual obligations to fulfil and that in doing so, clubs receive significant direct and indirect financial and non-financial benefits.
    http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/artic...l-2988970.aspx

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I think No 8 is questionable (have Amex attendances been lower when we are on telly to which our CEO replied no). Monday looked very sparse. Of course he has the numbers which are not published.

0 Not allowed!
      In answer to Q3 Paul says this

"However, competing clubs will always be consulted on a particular selection and, as part of the discussions that take place, we do consider the likely impact on travel arrangements for supporters should there be a change of date or time.

Unfortunately, however, transport timetables, roadworks, and individual circumstances are of course totally outside of the club's control and we know it's virtually impossible to please everyone with every selection that's made."

Which in the case of the Forest game clearly appears to be not true at all. If the likely impact on travel arrangements had been considered then surely they would have said somethng about it. As a result the Albion will have far fewer fans at The City Ground than on the saturday.

I suspect that now we are on the run-in Sky just get what they want and there is no consideration given to fans at all. Or clubs just automatically go along with the selection as they want to keep Sky sweet.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hotchilidog View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      In answer to Q3 Paul says this

"However, competing clubs will always be consulted on a particular selection and, as part of the discussions that take place, we do consider the likely impact on travel arrangements for supporters should there be a change of date or time.

Unfortunately, however, transport timetables, roadworks, and individual circumstances are of course totally outside of the club's control and we know it's virtually impossible to please everyone with every selection that's made."

Which in the case of the Forest game clearly appears to be not true at all. If the likely impact on travel arrangements had been considered then surely they would have said somethng about it. As a result the Albion will have far fewer fans at The City Ground than on the saturday.

I suspect that now we are on the run-in Sky just get what they want and there is no consideration given to fans at all. Or clubs just automatically go along with the selection as they want to keep Sky sweet.
      You couldn't even get to Burnley this season in time for kick off by train. Not much consideration given there.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinney View Post
      You couldn't even get to Burnley this season in time for kick off by train. Not much consideration given there.
      Another game I WOULD have gone to on a saturday, but couldn't because of the rearrangement.
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinney View Post
      Or down to Brighton, for the Middlesbro fans.

The Leeds game to a Monday would have been just as much of a ballache for their fans as our Forest one, too.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      It's one thing to consider the impact on travel arrangements for supporters, it's quite another to actually do anything about them. Middlesbrough were a good example of something the club can do for inconvenienced fans recently.

As Barber says, the clubs (collectively) have taken the coin, so must dance when told to, at risk of punitive legal action otherwise. For my part, I've always accepted the exigencies of TV companies' desire for this 'product', and understood the inherent realities they present us with. But I'll no longer pay to be a part of the problem - I've cancelled Sky. Since I buy a season ticket (and match and rail tickets) to be at the games, not to watch them on television, I've decided I'm not paying them to prevent me from doing so.

As I've said on here before, this is all gravy when things are going well for the club. But you don't have to look too hard for an example of what happens when things are not going well - look at Leeds; their home attendances are not great and, more noticeably, even their away following has dropped noticeably. That's down to a combination of factors, of course, but it's not all disaffection with the owners - Sky are part of the mix. Plenty of clubs (Bolton, for example) are now suffering the consequences of spending that money while it was coming in, only for success to desert them anyway, and then having the tap turned off, or at least closed to a relative trickle.

Barber's used a lot of words to say 'sorry, but that's how it is'. Of course it is - but as I say, I ain't paying the piper another penny.
      Banned

1 Not allowed!

TL;DR

0 Not allowed!
      Nice that Barber asked himself questions on behalf on the fans...