Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is your beloved understanding our tension?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My Wife used to come to the Goldstone when we were courting. But marriage put paid to all of that and she moans about me going to see the love of my life now.
Last night, with my ipad resting on the arm of the sofa showing the Hull game, she commented "that's good, isn't it?" when brummie scored.
Does your Wife/Partner understand the strain we are going through?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fortunately, my wonderful wife is a football fan, who grew up as a Saints STH, queueing in the rain for autographs and tickets, going to away games, etc. She is now fully converted to the good cause, obviously.

She understands why I need to use about 5 days of my annual leave, to take half-days in order to get to Brighton for all the evening games. She understands why it IS acceptable for our kids to get home close to midnight on a school-night if the game is important.

She understands that sitting with a cup of tea and my iPad, in the car, on the driveway, on a Saturday afternoon when the Albion are away, because no radio inside the house is powerful enough to pick up BBC Sussex, is perfectly normal behaviour.

Above all she knows that a football result MATTERS, and letting it affect your mood is entirely rational.

I honestly could not live with a "never mind dear, its only a game" mrs!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My other half has been converted this season, first away tomorrow and got st next season :)

She hadn't been to a game before this season and loves it although she still doesn't think it's fair that Bobby gets a bigger cheer than anyone else

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Mrs Mahone is not interested in football. Nor is my younger son.

My other son and I are.

She understands that it is important, and plays along with the tension, but it is quite refreshing to come home, and watch The Walking Dead or something.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I don't have a girlfriend, I'm a loser. Although my ex loved going, sometimes more than me, I feel. She was mental though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my other half watches with me when the Albion are on Sky
goal ..................................and her get innnnnnnnnnnnn is just in front of mine

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Nothing worse than partners/relatives who always make a point of asking about the Albion but have no real interest in football/sport and no understanding of the passions/trials/tribulations involved in the rollercoaster. As much as it's done with the best intentions, I'd rather they didn't ask at all, because the whole thing feels like a waste of your time and theirs.

(see also Sussex born and bred individuals in your place of work who support a Premiership team and talk to you about football)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Think it's time to trade in. At least mine has slowly come over to my feelings. Another night tonight though of the ipad on the arm rest with an eye on the Boro game may be pushing it.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
No, not really. I tried to get my beloved involved and took her to a game... unfortunately it was that dire home defeat by Fulham last year and she won't believe that it isn't always that boring so hasn't been willing to try again since. I blame Hyypia.

A couple of weeks ago, in an attempt to be organised, she asked for a list of all the football weekends left this season. She was fine with putting the play-off dates on "just in case", but telling her I would go to Middlesbrough "if it's crucial" was met with utter contempt. "Crucial?!"

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
My ex was a football fan but was an armchair supporter.. She never understood why I would rather spend my Saturday in Bolton or Blackburn over going to London for the day, or going to Sheffield on Valentines day instead of spending it with her.. :shrug:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
She says her boss and the guy at work keep telling her that I must be pleased as Brighton are doing well. Since they get little response, the boys then talk amongst themselves about our fortunes.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
My other half's one and only Albion game was against Forest Green Rovers at the Theatre of Trees in some wishy washy windscreen wiper cup on a cold winter night when the unfeasibly young Denton Dynamo scored on his Albion debut. Unfortunately she was asleep at the time so missed this historic moment and she has not been moved to come again. These days she has an app that pings up the latest scores so she has some idea of the kind of mood I'm going to be in when I get home after a game. I suppose that's progress of sorts and in fairness she does try to be supportive.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My missus absolutely hates football, she suspects I spend my Saturday afternoons and the odd winter evening with my 18 year old glamour model lover.
If she knew I was watching the Albion, she'd divorce me, and make me have custody of the kids!:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here