Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember that '91st v 92nd in the league'' fixture...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Couldn't help noticing that it is Dagenham v York tomorrow, or bottom of the league v second-bottom.

This of course became something of a party-piece fixture for Albion in those two grim seasons 96-97 and 97-98.

Not just the obvious one v Hereford, but plenty of others along the way.

The home one against Darlington (2-3) in 1996 springs to mind that left us about 9 points adrift at the bottom, walked out of the Goldstone that night certain we were dropping out of the league.

And the horror matches against Doncaster in 97-98, including that second Fans United game that was the worst match I've ever seen (at Gillingham).

Then you watch Hull and Boro chucking the points away this week, look at the table, and it is so sweet.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Remember Albion v Hull at Gillingham. May have been 90 v 91st, with us 2-0 up at half time - going on to scrape a draw against 10 men. Not the greatest performance. Maybe that was the season that Donny finished below us on 19 points.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Doncaster must have been the worst professional team the football league has seen.

At one point the chairman's(?) neighbour went in goal

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Doncaster must have been the worst professional team the football league has seen.

At one point the chairman's(?) neighbour went in goal
Aldershot in 92 were really bad. Lucky enough to have been at Hereford and 4 years later Barnet 2 Torquay 3 last day of the season 91st v 92nd.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
14 February 1998 v Doncaster Rovers at Gillingham must have been the worst league game ever. Over 6000 were there for Fans United. Doncaster fans wore fireman's helmets to protest against their chairman's arson attempt on the main stand. Paddy Wilson played left wing for them and was sent to prison the following week. Not for his performance! Prince Moncrieffe was their star striker. I can't really face recalling our team that day. It was abysmal football but we had to avoid defeat.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The home one against Darlington (2-3) in 1996 springs to mind that left us about 9 points adrift at the bottom, walked out of the Goldstone that night certain we were dropping out of the league.

I've never known an atmosphere like it after that game; funereal doesn't even come close. Everyone left the ground that night with all the carefree joie de vivre of a condemned man approaching the gallows.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I watched York at Oxford, on Tuesday, and they were woeful.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here