Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

11yr old hits hole in one at new Tiger Woods course!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Thanks for posting that. Fantastic

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Some of the kids today are awesome golfers.

Good friend of mine has a son, JACK DIRKIN
- remember that name - he WILL become a golf pro.

He's only SIX now but look how good he was when he was only FOUR YEARS OLD FOUR

He is now UK Number 1 for his age

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is it just me who is slightly uncomfortable about a six year old having a website/Twitter profile etc?

Does he need publicity at this point or does he need to just enjoy playing the game without any pressure?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is it just me who is slightly uncomfortable about a six year old having a website/Twitter profile etc?

Does he need publicity at this point or does he need to just enjoy playing the game without any pressure?

It's a fair point but his dad knows elite sport and elite coaching in cricket really well and is mindful of burnout but Jack likes hitting golf balls like other kids enjoy kicking a football.

His Dad is very media savvy and is good at raising awareness and tapping into funding and sponsorship.
Here's his website
If he sticks with his current progress - he will win a major before he is 21

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
A year 9 pupil, at the school I work at, is the UK's number 2 for age group. He told me that his dad got fed up with him playing computer games so took him down the local golf course. Last summer he flew to San Diego for a international tournament. He reckons his mum gets fed up with all the freebie golf gear that gets delivered to his house. Apparently his garage is overflowing with it all!

He is a nice lad. I hope he goes on to make a comfortable living out of it. .

theboybilly

It's a fair point but his dad knows elite sport and elite coaching in cricket really well and is mindful of burnout but Jack likes hitting golf balls like other kids enjoy kicking a football.

His Dad is very media savvy and is good at raising awareness and tapping into funding and sponsorship.
Here's his website
If he sticks with his current progress - he will win a major before he is 21

I wish him well but there's a vast difference in hitting a golf ball of a tee at a driving range and being good at course management (which may come naturally, maybe not) This just smacks of yet another 'pushy parent'. Websites, sponsorship and funding....he's SIX years old!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Some of the kids today are awesome golfers.

Good friend of mine has a son, JACK DIRKIN
- remember that name - he WILL become a golf pro.

He's only SIX now but look how good he was when he was only FOUR YEARS OLD FOUR

He is now UK Number 1 for his age

Hugely impressive - much better than me at 4 hrs old too haha

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I wish him well but there's a vast difference in hitting a golf ball of a tee at a driving range and being good at course management (which may come naturally, maybe not) This just smacks of yet another 'pushy parent'. Websites, sponsorship and funding....he's SIX years old!

An elite coach will tell you that's the age you have to start to be top of the world - think about other sports e.g. gymnastics.
Read Matthew Syed's book "Bounce" to understand the importance of an early start in sport.

I don't think his dad [Chris] is pushy, he knows how to nurture talent as he's been doing that for a job for 25 years.
It only becomes "pushy" if the kid doesn't want to do it or is not showing the right progress.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As you say nothing wrong with starting them early. My son has been playing cricket since he was about 4 and properly at a club from 6 (as that was the youngest that they took them). He's now just turned 9 and has spent the winter training with South Yorkshire U10s. It's not the starting early thing it's more the having a website thing but provided the kid is happy then it doesn't really matter.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
An elite coach will tell you that's the age you have to start to be top of the world - think about other sports e.g. gymnastics.
Read Matthew Syed's book "Bounce" to understand the importance of an early start in sport.

I don't think his dad [Chris] is pushy, he knows how to nurture talent as he's been doing that for a job for 25 years.
It only becomes "pushy" if the kid doesn't want to do it or is not showing the right progress.

As long as the other parts of his upbringing do not suffer as a result, not that I am implying that they are. It would be great if he can emulate Tiger on the golf course, but certainly not off it, for example. Golf is a great sport for kids and anyone to play, but it can become a lonely one at times too.

Good luck to him. I hope that he achieves everything that he wants to.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As you say nothing wrong with starting them early. My son has been playing cricket since he was about 4 and properly at a club from 6 (as that was the youngest that they took them). He's now just turned 9 and has spent the winter training with South Yorkshire U10s. It's not the starting early thing it's more the having a website thing but provided the kid is happy then it doesn't really matter.

His dad is an ECB level 3 coach and a tutor coach and also worked for the ECB for a good few years before becoming Shropshire's CDM

I coached our county u10s 4-5 years ago and remember meeting the Yorkshire u10 boys at the Repton cricket festival - good bunch of lads and coaches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here