Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer scam!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Can anyone help?

Just had a call from someone in my office saying they received a call from bt saying our pc is infected. Not sure how they did it but my colleague gave them access to our pc.He said the mouse was moving on its own and various bt webpages were opening up . I knew straight away that it was a scam but he is probably the most untechnical person ive ever met!

They asked for credit card details to pay £199 to fix it then asked him to fill out a form with a load of details on . thankfully he refused ! At this point the person hung up and the pc is fine.

Ive run Malwarebytes and ccleaner and that was fine . there is nothing really sensitive on the pc so I'm not worried about that. The thing I am worried about is that I bought something using paypal on that pc only yesterday. There is the usual windows defender on it for windows 10 so did he hang up because he couldn't get the information he wanted or because he had already got it?

Jan 30, 2008
Can anyone help?

Just had a call from someone in my office saying they received a call from bt saying our pc is infected. Not sure how they did it but my colleague gave them access to our pc.He said the mouse was moving on its own and various bt webpages were opening up . I knew straight away that it was a scam but he is probably the most untechnical person ive ever met!

They asked for credit card details to pay £199 to fix it then asked him to fill out a form with a load of details on . thankfully he refused ! At this point the person hung up and the pc is fine.

Ive run Malwarebytes and ccleaner and that was fine . there is nothing really sensitive on the pc so I'm not worried about that. The thing I am worried about is that I bought something using paypal on that pc only yesterday. There is the usual windows defender on it for windows 10 so did he hang up because he couldn't get the information he wanted or because he had already got it?

SCREAM FOR A POLICEMAN !!!!
regards
DR

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Change your paypal password now. Very unlikely they've got it, but nothing to lose by doing it.
They may have copied any amount of stuff off the pc to look through / decrypt later. Your colleague needs a talking to!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Do NOT change passwords on any website on that computer do it on another one. They may have put a keyboard reading program on there so they get all of your passwords as you type them.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No one can detect infection on your pc and BT wouldn't care about it if they could.

I've had 3 calls recently, from India, with them starting with "We are calling regarding the issues you are having on your Windows pc"

I put them straight really quick and it doesn't go any further.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To add. The steps I'd take if it were me.

- Disconnect it from any network so it can't send anything
- Change passwords on any of the websites that might have been visited from that machine (but change them on another one)
- Take a backup of all files which you need
- Reinstall windows

This might sound drastic, but if they've got access to the computer's operating system they might have overridden any security warnings so the virus scanners might not recognise the program as an actual virus. It's just safer to reinstall the whole thing... even if it's not easier.

It could be that the damage has already been done, they've got the info they wanted and the program has uninstalled itself. But the point is, you don't know.

Give your colleague a slap for good measure.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
While you're talking to your colleague, would you mind asking for them to send me some cash as I'm trying to liberate millions of dollars of unclaimed compensation following a plane crash in Nigeria. Cheers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No one can detect infection on your pc and BT wouldn't care about it if they could.

I've had 3 calls recently, from India, with them starting with "We are calling regarding the issues you are having on your Windows pc"

I've found asking them to prove they can tell I have issues by telling me my IP address usually gets them floundering :lolol:

Ameliaance

Feb 22, 2016
Changed your Paypal password right away. Well, Paypal will notify your email in case there's a transaction happening from your account.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I had the exact same call about a week ago, but it was a Russian dialling code.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I've found asking them to prove they can tell I have issues by telling me my IP address usually gets them floundering :lolol:

used to get loads of these
two words and the second one is off

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It would also be worthwhile for your workplace to update their security training given that a colleague fell for one of the oldest scams going.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Had matey on the phone for 20 mins explaining I was royally infected, then slowly explained I was Apple (only time I would make up such madness) whereupon he declared 'Yes, that is correct, Apple Windows'.
Conversation finished pretty soon afterwards, not heard from him since.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
- Disconnect it from any network so it can't send anything
- Change passwords on any of the websites that might have been visited from that machine (but change them on another one)
- Take a backup of all files which you need
- Reinstall windows

This is definitely what you should be doing I'm afraid Danny, I know it's a pain. It's possible nothing was installed and it was just a web or window native service used to control the machine, it's not worth the risk. You could spend weeks trying to ascertain whether the machine is clean, but unless you know what you are doing you'll be on forums and webpages looking for advice for ages. Just clear it down as advised by 2cTom.

Fats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here