Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cold Callers rigging their caller ID

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seems the latest trick both from UK and overseas.

The latest favourite is using a local STD code to make it look like its something important like a local school or doctor, makes you take the call.

Some days I hang up, others try and keep them on the line as long as possible

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Been happening for a while, i had my credit card company use it to catch me out when i missed a months payment by 2 days.. I though it was my kids nursery as number was nearly the same apart form the last 3 numbers the other way around.. Coincidence?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Been happening for a while, i had my credit card company use it to catch me out when i missed a months payment by 2 days.. I though it was my kids nursery as number was nearly the same apart form the last 3 numbers the other way around.. Coincidence?
That's not really cold calling is it!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yeah had it just a couple of digs different from the doctors, you cannot return the number. Best thing is find out as much as possible about the company and then shop them to Ofcom. If they other overseas what can you do.

All this is with TPS in place I should add

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just don't ever deal with cold call companies, regardless of what they're offering. Even if one offers something that sounds interesting to me, I won't talk to them if it's a cold call. If everyone did that, we'd get no cold calls.

Have all my numbers registered with TPS, takes a while to kick in but does work.

But what if they come up as "unknown", "number unavailable" or the new favourite one "out of area". I just let them ring, if it is a "bona fide" caller they could leave a message,

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Have all my numbers registered with TPS, takes a while to kick in but does work.

Not for overseas companies, it doesn't. Think of all the call centres in India.

Edit: and, of course the UK companies that just ignore it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But what if they come up as "unknown", "number unavailable" or the new favourite one "out of area". I just let them ring, if it is a "bona fide" caller they could leave a message,

Ditto - and I only answer calls from people in my contacts list.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Not for overseas companies, it doesn't. Think of all the call centres in India.

Edit: and, of course the UK companies that just ignore it.
Both of course right, I do ignore calls as mentioned, but I find that TPS has helped reduce them somewhat :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"oh hello is that Mr ******"
do I know you
"er no but"
OK so yets keep it that way shell we
and if he/she speaks another word
***** off
return receiver to resepticle

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Been happening for a while, i had my credit card company use it to catch me out when i missed a months payment by 2 days..I though it was my kids nursery as number was nearly the same apart form the last 3 numbers the other way around.. Coincidence?

Probably, unless they researched where your kids went to nursery, found their phone number, looked up similar available phone numbers and ordered one which was 3 digits the wrong way round and used it to call you.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Been happening for a while, i had my credit card company use it to catch me out when i missed a months payment by 2 days..

That must be the harshest credit card company on the market if they're ringing you up for being TWO days late with a payment. Its quite literally in their interest for you to be late.

I used to work in Collections for the old TSB Trustcard credit card, and we wouldn't get on the phone until a second payment had been missed. Or immediately, if the card was spiralling over its credit limit.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
"Battersea Dogs Home, Chief Barker speaking"
"Is that Mr......"
"No it's not, its the Battersea Dogs Home"
Ring off

"Hi Mr..... We've been notified that you recently had a car accident"
"That's strange, I don't drive"
"Oh"
Ring off

Paying the bills