Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real attendance figure's

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
[Does anyone know the true attendance figure's? Can they be sourced through freedom of information requests . Be interesting to know the effect of the TV games . There were higher crowds when we were not doing as well thats for sure .

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
FOI is only for government/local authority issues not private companies or footie clubs. I can't think of a way you can get these figures.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You could enter negotiations to become a club sponsor and I would have thought they would need to divulge that information as it is relevant. Other than that, it's the clubs business. We'd like to know but we're not entitled to it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
FOI is only for government/local authority issues not private companies or footie clubs. I can't think of a way you can get these figures.

Sussex Police are informed of the actual real attendance on match day for obvious safety reasons. You could make a request to them and ask for the figures which I can see no reason why they would object to providing. Worth a try if you really want to get that info.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Sussex Police are informed of the actual real attendance on match day for obvious safety reasons. You could make a request to them and ask for the figures which I can see no reason why they would object to providing. Worth a try if you really want to get that info.

I can.

It's a private company's own data - not the police's.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can.

It's a private company's own data - not the police's.

True but it involves public safety so that might be enough to negate the fact of whether the information is commercially exclusive or sensitive as it could be argued that members of the public have a right to know what risk is involved in attending any given event. Won't know unless someone asks I imagine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We've had this data via a FOI request before to Brighton & Hove Council.

I don't believe they have every game - from my recollection it was almost like they undertook occasional spot checks, presumably for safety/licensing purposes.

I'll take a look in the morning.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
One of the biggest joke attendance figures was last night's Great Unwashed vs Dundee cake match in the Sunday Pub League here Norf of the Border. The official attendance from the Soapless Park was 41,000 but from what Sky cameras were showing and from friends who were there were saying , they would have been lucky to get 20,000 through the turnstiles.
Creative accounting or just on the slide?

TNBA

TTF

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As I have said before, I know someone who knows the figures and the few times I have asked, it varies between 2-4000 less than the official figure. This variance means it is not going to be easy to work out the Sky effect as they vary by other means as well. But please do not abuse FOI. Spurious requests will see it ended. It is for checks and balances, not trivia or, in the case of media, fishing trips.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
[Does anyone know the true attendance figure's? Can they be sourced through freedom of information requests . Be interesting to know the effect of the TV games . There were higher crowds when we were not doing as well thats for sure .

I know it's petty, but after the farcical announced attendance after last seasons Blackburn game I made an FOI to Brighton and Hove Council and they provided the actual attendance. They apparently periodically require the accurate numbers for safety reasons/records.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There were certainly a whole heap of gaps on Monday night!

I think they gave it as 24k, but it looked a lot less.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There were certainly a whole heap of gaps on Monday night!

I think they gave it as 24k, but it looked a lot less.

Just over 25k I thought they said just after the whistle. Seems like they don't announce the attendance (!) during the game when we're on the telly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I have said before, I know someone who knows the figures and the few times I have asked, it varies between 2-4000 less than the official figure. This variance means it is not going to be easy to work out the Sky effect as they vary by other means as well. But please do not abuse FOI. Spurious requests will see it ended. It is for checks and balances, not trivia or, in the case of media, fishing trips.

I would imagine a weekday match is more likely to affect actual attendance, rather than Sky, although the two may coincide. School night, work and distance to travel seem to have more bearing than tv.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'd be more than happy for them to announce 30,000 each match to a ground where there are indeed spaces. Better for FFP.

61umiKkfCAL._SY355_.jpg

As to the real figure, :shrug:.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Regardless of who turns up, I still think the club have done brilliantly to attract 25k+ people to pay to watch most games. In fact, you could argue that it's quite impressive that so many people are comfortable enough missing the odd game, such is the attractiveness of the direct debit scheme.

In the end, all that matters is that when you walk through Brighton and Hove in the summer, most of the kids are now in Albion kits. Because of that, the percentage of our support classed as "fair weather" in the future is only going to fall.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
True but it involves public safety so that might be enough to negate the fact of whether the information is commercially exclusive or sensitive as it could be argued that members of the public have a right to know what risk is involved in attending any given event. Won't know unless someone asks I imagine.

I have asked the police before, and they've said it's not their information to give out.

'Public safety' as a catch-all phrase doesn't have any meaning here. If there was a public safety issue, it's not that obvious as to what it is, especially as it's the club, not the public who manage the safety issues. The risk the public need to know is that there are potentially as many as 30,000 people turning up.

The consideration of tickets sales of 25,000, and the actual attendance of 22,000 is not a public safety issue to someone deciding whether or not to attend.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I have asked the police before, and they've said it's not their information to give out.

'Public safety' as a catch-all phrase doesn't have any meaning here. If there was a public safety issue, it's not that obvious as to what it is, especially as it's the club, not the public who manage the safety issues. The risk the public need to know is that there are potentially as many as 30,000 people turning up.

The consideration of tickets sales of 25,000, and the actual attendance of 22,000 is not a public safety issue to someone deciding whether or not to attend.

I bet you are a right laugh at a party... Hi 'Mr know it all here"....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here