Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If in a worse case scenario we fail to go up this season, how would you expect us to fair next time round? Given the sizeable strides the team has made under CH its hard not to get carried away with the thought of next season and how he would build on the team! I find it hard to see CH going backwards with the team he seems to smart for that, but which positions could you see him improving on? Again this is just a sideways glance at worse case scenario!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wilson will need replacing, and Stephens and Kayal given improved contracts.

He can then work out which out of contract players should be retained and which also need replacing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We'd have a big battle on our hands to keep hold of Kayal, Dunk and March.

There would be admiring glances made at the likes of Stephens, Knockaert, Stockdale and Goldson as well.

However, given our recent record I'd trust us to replace them more than adequately and be challenging again. As long as the off the field set up remained fairly stable.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It worries me as players like Kayal, Hemed, Stephens, Dunk etc would've been put in the spotlight by our near miss of promotion, and I'm sure we'd lose 2-3 of our best to lower Prem sides who can offer frankly insane wages compared to ours. Not to mention Wilson going back and Bobby potentially retiring, Bruno and Greer will be getting close too.

In some strange way I think if we didn't go up we would've been better off finishing around 8th, completely under the radar in terms of our best players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Striker
Left back (cover)
Right back

That should cover the necessary changes...

I would agree with that as BZ may have retired and Bruno will be 36 and Calderon 35 and at the best may only be cover for Liam Rosenior whl will be a mere 32. It is possible that Maenpaa will have got fed up with being a deputy. Greer will also probably need replacing.unless Rea can step up as cover.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think we'll be able to hold onto our players to be honest! Stable club, good manager who they know where they stand with, very competitive team with realistic promotion hopes. If they're settled I could see them staying.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think we are in a much better position than usual even if we dont make it and can only see a couple being taken at worst.

If we dont go up the reason will be our front men, I would be looking to improve in that area, we are pretty well set everywhere else.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Just 1 orthodox cover would be sufficient rather than use a utility player, which is possibly going to cost us automatic promotion.

So you're singling out Calderon for our poor form over Christmas? Not the fact we had lots of injuries to other key players? The fact Dunk, Hemed and others went through a bad patch of form?

I really do try and not react when you post stuff on here, but what a ridiculous accusation that is

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We'd have a big battle on our hands to keep hold of Kayal, Dunk and March.

There would be admiring glances made at the likes of Stephens, Knockaert, Stockdale and Goldson as well.

However, given our recent record I'd trust us to replace them more than adequately and be challenging again. As long as the off the field set up remained fairly stable.

March unlikley to be fit for the start of next season (sadly) so you can probably take him off that list.

PG

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
If you assume that the following, in a worst case scenario, are all gone for various reasons (i.e. out of contract, retired, surplus to requirements) then we would need to do some real business in the summer window: Calderon, Bruno, Sidwell, Crofts, Zamora, Wilson, JFC and Ince.

That would leave very little backup all over the defence and CM. We would also need a second proper striker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you're singling out Calderon for our poor form over Christmas? Not the fact we had lots of injuries to other key players? The fact Dunk, Hemed and others went through a bad patch of form?

I really do try and not react when you post stuff on here, but what a ridiculous accusation that is

I have tried to explain this numerous times but will try again. Because of Calderons limitations as an unothodox right footed left back the delivery to the wide men notably Murphy was poor and he subsequently had a mixed time which meant the front men were not getting good enough supply. It is noticeable that since Ridgewell came into the side and more so Rosenior came back Murphy has improved, the supply to the strikers has improved and we have scored goals. I believe, and have said it many times the mistake was relying on LR to cover Bong, which he did until he got injured, which nobody could have foreseen. But why did we have Chicksen as the only alternative when It was obvious he wasnt considered good enough by CH. He should have been replaced as soon as Bong got injured . Why he wasnt replaced only CH. PB and TB know.

That was the mistake which cost us, whether or not it will be crucial remains to be seen, I do however think that we may overcome dropping those valuable points.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I would agree with that as BZ may have retired and Bruno will be 36 and Calderon 35 and at the best may only be cover for Liam Rosenior whl will be a mere 32. It is possible that Maenpaa will have got fed up with being a deputy. Greer will also probably need replacing.unless Rea can step up as cover.

Bruno looks as fit as a flee considering his age, hopefully he will play on until he is 40, like Sheringham and Giggs managed at the highest level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here