Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Caught Speeding - Any Advice

I know there was a similar thread recently so apologies for another on this subject....

Driving home from Bristol last Tuesday I booted it as I joined the M4 and got flashed by a camera. The letter arrived today. I was caught driving at 89MPH in a 70MPH and am guilty as charged.

I've had a clean license for 16 years and was a bit gutted not be offered one of those speed courses instead of the fixed penalty. The penalty is 3 points and £100 fine if I accept and pay up in 28 days, which I'm happy to do.

Just wondered if there are any tips or ways I could do a speed course and avoid the points? Not too worried if it was to cost me a bit more.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
My brother got done recently and was not offered the speed awareness course, so he rang them up and asked why, they apologised and offered him the course. Although I can't remember how fast he was going so you might have been caught going to fast for the course. Worth a call either way.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was caught driving at 89MPH in a 70MPH and am guilty as charged.

I've had a clean license for 16 years and was a bit gutted not be offered one of those speed courses instead of the fixed penalty..

Speed has to be within 10% plus 2 and 10% plus 9 of the speed limit (79-86mph).

My brother got done recently and was not offered the speed awareness course, so he rang them up and asked why, they apologised and offered him the course. Although I can't remember how fast he was going so you might have been caught going to fast for the course. Worth a call either way.

OK, I'll give them a call.

I know a friend who was offered the course doing 40 in a 30. My offense from a lower percentage over the limit, so I guess it's worth a try.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Here is the ACPO criteria according to Thames Valley Police:

The criteria used for assessing eligibility for the speed awareness course
is speed within range of speed limit + 10% + 2mph to speed limit + 10% +
6mph. i.e. in a 30 mph limit 35 - 39 mph, also must not have completed a
previous course within the last 3 years and the offender must have
identified themselves to police by fully complying with legal requirements
under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and is able to be referred
to our service provider within 95 days of the alleged offence.

On this basis, the qualifying range of speed in a 70 mph limit would be 79 to 83, so you would fall outside that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Ah - that explains both why I didn't get offered it and my friend did then. I will try all the same tho!

You'll be refused.

Limit: 30 Course Bracket: 35 - 42
Limit: 40 Course Bracket: 46 - 53
Limit: 50 Course Bracket: 57 - 64
Limit: 60 Course Bracket: 68 - 75
Limit: 70 Course Bracket: 79 - 86

SAC

May 21, 2014
I know there was a similar thread recently so apologies for another on this subject....

Driving home from Bristol last Tuesday I booted it as I joined the M4 and got flashed by a camera. The letter arrived today. I was caught driving at 89MPH in a 70MPH and am guilty as charged.

I've had a clean license for 16 years and was a bit gutted not be offered one of those speed courses instead of the fixed penalty. The penalty is 3 points and £100 fine if I accept and pay up in 28 days, which I'm happy to do.

Just wondered if there are any tips or ways I could do a speed course and avoid the points? Not too worried if it was to cost me a bit more.

If this is the first time you have been caught in 16 years then pay the fine and stop complaining.

If this is the first time you have been caught in 16 years then pay the fine and stop complaining.

What part of my initial post or my replies was a complaint?

There are 1000's of other threads on this great board which probably hold greater interest for you, so I'm not sure why you picked this some to reply with such a pointless comment!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I would agree, Im told 3 points is practically a norm these days and does not really effect your insurance much.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You'll be refused.

Limit: 30 Course Bracket: 35 - 42
Limit: 40 Course Bracket: 46 - 53
Limit: 50 Course Bracket: 57 - 64
Limit: 60 Course Bracket: 68 - 75
Limit: 70 Course Bracket: 79 - 86

Interesting. Does that mean if you set cruise control to 78 on a motorway you will always be in the clear?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Interesting. Does that mean if you set cruise control to 78 on a motorway you will always be in the clear?

I've always 'heard' that you can drive 10% over any limit without ever flashed.
It looks to be the case.

The brackets are intended for those drivers who may be unaware that the speedometer has crept up and allows driver to attend the course to better make them aware of their speed.

Unfortuantely, the OP has gone just above the bracket at a speed which the Gov deems the driver must be aware that he's doing near on 20mph over the limit (rightly so), therefore the driver deserves the punishment rather than the leniency of a Speed Awareness Course.

Though one would argue that both sets of drivers (aware and unaware) should be made to sit the course.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

No. There could be traffic in front of you doing less than 78.

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

I've always 'heard' that you can drive 10% over any limit without ever flashed.
It looks to be the case.

The brackets are intended for those drivers who may be unaware that the speedometer has crept up and allows driver to attend the course to better make them aware of their speed.

Unfortuantely, the OP has gone just above the bracket at a speed which the Gov deems the driver must be aware that he's doing near on 20mph over the limit (rightly so), therefore the driver deserves the punishment rather than the leniency of a Speed Awareness Course.

I've also heard that speedo's in cars over estimate your speed. This is certainly in keeping with the speed my Sat Nav displays.

And (ready for more shouts from the do-gooders' I was quite pleased when I read my penalty notice and saw the speed as 89MPH! I know that was not what my speedo was on at the time.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A radio article the other day claimed that the courses and set speeds for courses were based around educating people that could still be converted and would take on board the messages being delivered. Going above and beyond certain speeds they claimed showed a bigger disregard for them and that in the past these people were not affected by the course and just avoided points and fines, often being repeat offenders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here