Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "We're a side that generally haven't been big goalscorers this season."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton manager Chris Hughton:

"It was a very complete performance. At the moment we look like we can score goals, but in the last two games we've kept two clean sheets.

"It's been a very good reaction to a disappointing defeat at Cardiff.

"We're a side that generally haven't been big goalscorers this season. We threatened in the first part of the season, when I thought some of our play was really good, but we didn't have the goals to show for it. At the moment, we do."

Championship's leading scorers:

Burnley 53
Fulham 51
Shelf Wed 50
Albion 49
Hull 48
Brentford 47
Derby, Cardiff 45
Boro, Huddersfield 44

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

"It was a very complete performance. At the moment we look like we can score goals, but in the last two games we've kept two clean sheets.

"We're a side that generally haven't been big goalscorers this season. We threatened in the first part of the season, when I thought some of our play was really good, but we didn't have the goals to show for it. At the moment, we do."

Burnley 53
Fulham 51
Shelf Wed 50
Albion 49
Hull 48
Brentford 47
Derby, Cardiff 45
Boro, Huddersfield 44

He is right... we were outside the top 10 scorers this time last week.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Burnley 53
Fulham 51
Shelf Wed 50
Albion 49
Hull 48
Brentford 47
Derby, Cardiff 45
Boro, Huddersfield 44

Surely the later part of the paragraph helps you understand the context of the text you highlight.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't think we had won a game by more than 1 goal throughout our entire unbeaten run at the start of the season. CH is spot on.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He's spot on, we haven't been. At 30 league games played we had 37 goals (1.23 GPG). Then Brighton went on to score 12 in 4! We now have 1.44 GPG for the season, and I'm expecting that to go up to at least 1.5 by the end of the season!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think we had won a game by more than 1 goal throughout our entire unbeaten run at the start of the season. CH is spot on.

That's correct. However after 20 games, only Fulham had scored more than us.

And that's my point really - we always had been scoring as many as those around us. It was only through our 'blip', where we actually failed to score completely in 6 games, that we fell behind the goalscoring pace.

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 12.33.43.png

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That's correct. However after 20 games, only Fulham had scored more than us.

And that's my point really - we always had been scoring as many as those around us. It was only through our 'blip', where we actually failed to score completely in 6 games, that we fell behind the goalscoring pace.

View attachment 72760

Top statting!

Then again, being undefeated for so many games and only ever winning by 1 goal did make us seem somewhat shy infront of goal - relative to our success in terms of results.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I don't think we've had any problem in front of goal, except for our Christmas blip. But in the games that we found the net a few times, we conceding a couple as well. We built a reputation of scraping through games with one goal wins or draws. We've been firing on all cylinders recently though and long may it continue. Hemed and Baldock play well together. And our midfield is full of class that can ensure the forwards get chances to score.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't think we've had any problem in front of goal, except for our Christmas blip. But in the games that we found the net a few times, we conceding a couple as well. We built a reputation of scraping through games with one goal wins or draws. We've been firing on all cylinders recently though and long may it continue. Hemed and Baldock play well together. And our midfield is full of class that can ensure the forwards get chances to score.

Could it be, as I have said many times on here, it wasn't that we ever needed a new 20 goal a season striker, just a defence that wasn't giving away sloppy goals and putting pressure on the team to score more freely?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Could it be, as I have said many times on here, it wasn't that we ever needed a new 20 goal a season striker, just a defence that wasn't giving away sloppy goals and putting pressure on the team to score more freely?

I think that our problem last year was that we struggled to score. Our defence hasn't changed much, but we're scoring goals this season and controlling games. It's been nice to see us grab a load of goals and keep two clean sheets recently. Long may it continue!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Agree. several threads a few weeks ago that 'all we needed is a proven Championship striker'. It was never going to happen and now we know it was unnecessary for three reasons: we have firepower anyway, it just needed Baldock back to fire up Hemed; it would have been expensive; and it may have upset the balance of the side. Boro have not exactly uprooted trees since Rhodes joined.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agree. several threads a few weeks ago that 'all we needed is a proven Championship striker'. It was never going to happen and now we know it was unnecessary for three reasons: we have firepower anyway, it just needed Baldock back to fire up Hemed; it would have been expensive; and it may have upset the balance of the side. Boro have not exactly uprooted trees since Rhodes joined.

Exactly, I think our lost points this season (with the possible exception of Wolves) has not been down to fire power, more down to expensive defensive mistakes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly, I think our lost points this season (with the possible exception of Wolves) has not been down to fire power, more down to expensive defensive mistakes.
Shirley they are one of the same thing.

There's only 1 way to drop points:-
concede more goals than you score.

This resurgence has very little to do with Baldock and everything to do with Knockaert.

The opposition now have to be spread to thin across the middle, covering BOTH wingers.
Stephens and Kayal can bitch any match up centrally when it's at best only 3 on 2.

Both opposition full backs need cover, and a centre half can't play Hemed man to man because TH pops up all over the place.

The scary part about that, for a devout pessimist like myself, is I just can't see how a team matches up against our first choice 4-4-2.
That's before you realise the second choice isn't to shabby either.

I'm sure it can be done, the team must be 'getatable'.
If I were an opposition manager, discipline would be the route I'd take, but that's hardly a vote of confidence in my own team.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Shirley they are one of the same thing.

There's only 1 way to drop points:-
concede more goals than you score.

Basically that is true, but when your defence concedes silly goals it makes it difficult for your attack as it changes the shape of the game, i.e. against Cardiff, we had the game under control until we gave away awful goals - as a team, that until the last two games hasn't been scoring lots of goals, giving away poor goals puts unnecessary pressure on your attacking options.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
The arrival of French Tony seems to have been the catalyst for goals. Even when he's not at his best, the other players seem to come alive around him. Long may it continue

He probably draws some attention away from the other winger too in a way that Kaz did at the beginning of the season. Teams are looking to double up on him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here