Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fred Binney

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Great to see Fred interviewed at half time & looking so well. He was one of my childhood Albion idols. A great goalscorer - absolutely deadly from less than six yards!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Agree with that...my favourite was Kit Napier...but each to his own...I do have an autographed picture of Fred Binney and proud to say I have had a drink with him. both were great goal scorers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Fred Binney: the team coach left him behind at the Old Den. He wanted to cadge a life back to the seaside, but our convoy (a van and two cars) was staying over night in London before the visit to Aldershot. A new kid on the block was rumoured and started down at Edgar Street, Hereford.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Great to see Fred interviewed at half time & looking so well. He was one of my childhood Albion idols. A great goalscorer - absolutely deadly from less than six yards!

Bloody hell ! from that distance even I would have scored a few.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bloody hell ! from that distance even I would have scored a few.
He did balloon a fair few to be honest too from 6 out.... One of my heroes too though...from a time when footballers carried a bit of weight and a dodgy tach.....glad he's still going.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fred Binney: the team coach left him behind at the Old Den. He wanted to cadge a life back to the seaside, but our convoy (a van and two cars) was staying over night in London before the visit to Aldershot. A new kid on the block was rumoured and started down at Edgar Street, Hereford.

Arrived at Hereford that day. Heard rumours about Fred being dropped for this new wonder kid ( who I knew very little about ) Supped a few ales before hand. Saw Fred outside the ground, sheepskin coat, approx. 2.30pm. Whatever possessed me to go up to Fred and ask him if he was playing, God only knows. Got the response I deserved.
Beginning of end for Fred. Beginning of a legend.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Arrived at Hereford that day. Heard rumours about Fred being dropped for this new wonder kid ( who I knew very little about ) Supped a few ales before hand. Saw Fred outside the ground, sheepskin coat, approx. 2.30pm. Whatever possessed me to go up to Fred and ask him if he was playing, God only knows. Got the response I deserved.

I went that day as well, stood in Hereford end. I was only 7 though....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ha. We saw him outside the entrance too. We told him that we were hoping he'd score a couple and the dirty look he gave us told us everything

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Loved Fred, was anti Ward when I heard he was deposing my hero - but soon changed my mind. Fickle things football fans!

Yes, I remember being shocked to hear Fred was dropped and the young upstart was playing. It only took about 50 seconds for me to change my mind...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wasn't it in the home game against Hereford that season that he sustained an injury and returned with his head bandaged but still inspired us to victory? 4-2, as i recall?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Was at that game. Football special train from Brighton to Hereford. The new las did OK didn't he!

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Wasn't it in the home game against Hereford that season that he sustained an injury and returned with his head bandaged but still inspired us to victory? 4-2, as i recall?

Yes, that's right: just consulted my diary for Saturday 6th December 1975, Fred scored after 7 minutes, got head patched at 20 minutes, fairer score would have been 8-1; other goals from Ian Mellor and two from Neil Martin while Dudley Tyler, in 2nd spell for Hereford after retirning from West Ham, scored their first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here