Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The chip on Leeds shoulder

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yes I know it's another thread about our illustrious opponents but for some reason I can't put my finger on they really get my heckles up.

I was sat at work and found myself frowning for no apparent reason and then realised its because I was thinking about them.

We all have the usual preconceived ideas about them not being a big club anymore and or why all their supporters have a chip on their shoulder the size of Yorkshire but I thought that perhaps I had done them a disservice and that a glance at their Wikipedia entry might enlighten me.

Instead it has made me even more vociferous in my irrational hatred of this imperiously pompous bunch of myopic Yorkshire-is-the-centre-of-the-flat-Earthers.

I mean for example which other club would list former players honours whilst playing for OTHER clubs as part of their own history?

(Listing membership of Eric Cantona in the football hall of fame and him playing for Leeds as mutually exclusive events).

This on top of their incessant bleating about being Champions of Europe (they won the pre-cursor to the UEFA cup before it was something you qualified for on merit and was in fact a competition to promote trade relations between declining European industrial cities) is more than I can take.

I whole heartedly admit to it being irrational but in a Kevin Keegan type way I would love it, love it if we beat them tonight.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Yes I know it's another thread about our illustrious opponents but for some reason I can't put my finger on they really get my heckles up.

I was sat at work and found myself frowning for no apparent reason and then realised its because I was thinking about them.

We all have the usual preconceived ideas about them not being a big club anymore and or why all their supporters have a chip on their shoulder the size of Yorkshire but I thought that perhaps I had done them a disservice and that a glance at their Wikipedia entry might enlighten me.

Instead it has made me even more vociferous in my irrational hatred of this imperiously pompous bunch of myopic Yorkshire-is-the-centre-of-the-flat-Earthers.

I mean for example which other club would list former players honours whilst playing for OTHER clubs as part of their own history?

(Listing membership of Eric Cantona in the football hall of fame and him playing for Leeds as mutually exclusive events).

This on top of their incessant bleating about being Champions of Europe (they won the pre-cursor to the UEFA cup before it was something you qualified for on merit and was in fact a competition to promote trade relations between declining European industrial cities) is more than I can take.

I whole heartedly admit to it being irrational but in a Kevin Keegan type way I would love it, love it if we beat them tonight.

Read your post and ask yourself who has the chip on the shoulder. You or Dirty Leeds fans?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can indeed take that view if you so wish.

If Leo goes on to win the Premier League with Leicester will we put a segment in our history about it so everyone knows how big we are? No thought not.
The difference is that Leo wouldn't have won a league title with US, whereas Cantona DID with Leeds.

Your post sounds a bit daft, tbh.

SAC

May 21, 2014
You can indeed take that view if you so wish.

If Leo goes on to win the Premier League with Leicester will we put a segment in our history about it so everyone knows how big we are? No thought not.

I'd guarantee it. I will have to work out how to edit Wiki first.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I don't like them and I'm not sure why. I think it is probably something to do with this forum as I have realised that it has shaped my views on a few things football related

the thing that really annoys me is when they are on TV and all you can hear is 'We all love Leeds, we all love Leeds...'

Fair play to them for singing but the same song over and over and over again?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think they're that bad to be honest. You don't hear them harping on about what a big club they are anywhere near as much as Massive Wednesday fans, and Leedsis a much bigger club than Massive Wednesday.

Their club has been mismanaged for the best part of a decade. We should know a thing or two about.

Silly post from the OP.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
The difference is that Leo wouldn't have won a league title with US, whereas Cantona DID with Leeds.

Your post sounds a bit daft, tbh.

Oh I know it's daft and irrational as I mention but it really gets my goat!

And to be a pedant you'd think that the 5 titles EC won with the other Utd had nothing to do with his entry into the hall of fame.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I don't think they're that bad to be honest. You don't hear them harping on about what a big club they are anywhere near as much as Massive Wednesday fans, and Leedsis a much bigger club than Massive Wednesday.

Their club has been mismanaged for the best part of a decade. We should know a thing or two about.

Silly post from the OP.

Yep, silly and irrational I know but they just wind me up. *shrug*

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here