Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky TV the Financials - is it worth it and what can we do about it ?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Sky 's dominant position in the Championship has upset a lot of us for very good reasons . Paul Barber has little choice but to defend the current situation as he sees the curretn £100k per home game as beneficial to the clubs short term revenue streams . Maintaining that it makes a dent in the transfer budget is a bit farcical when we appear to have spent 10 million plus this year .

[So the pros and cons as objectively as they can be laid out

Pros

5 x home games = £500k
Brighton fans the world over get to watch games
Brighton the city gets global exposure ( like the Rugby)
People who were thinking of going to the game no longer have to make the effort and can relax at home or in the pub.
People who were busy on the Saturday can go to the week night game

Cons

A number of season ticket holders cannot attend the re-arranged fixtures
Pre -arranged events on re-arranged football nights need to be cancelled
It appears that around 3000 less season ticket holders come to these games - Leeds will be worse . Thus the revenue from match day sales must be around £10 x 3000 - so at a good guess £30k less than usual
The match evening atmosphere is not so good ( except Brentford)
Going to a football match is a social event - not much fun on a Monday night on your own as your mates cant go .
A disaster for away fans who have booked travel and accomodation
Dad taking children on a school night
A fair number of season tickets will not be renewed because of this specific reason . Just say its 1000 x £500 = £500k . I think this could be a conservative estimate if we stay in the Championship .

Conclusion

The Sky contract has a negative effect on the clubs financial situation - it does not bring money in after the facts are considered . There is compelling evidence that it makes a loss for us financially.
It has the effect of alienating and upsetting loyal fans as one of the purposes of going to football is to see and spend time with friends - have a pie and a pint on Saturday lunchtime . There is also too much focus on clubs with big support which will generate bigger viewing figures for advertisers and hence we and Leeds get too much coverage . There is no time limit on Sky changing a game - they try to operate with a 28 day period but reserve the right to change a game anytime .

What to do

Sky need to be regulated by the Championship to stop this

Suggestions

Each team can only be on Sky a maximum of 5 times a season

The revenue paid to each club is paltry - home teams should be paid £250k not £100k and away teams £50k and not £30 ( or 10 i read somewhere)

Games must changed at least two months before the original date . Burnley was only 5 weeks and many Burnley fans will already have rain tickets to arrive in Brighton later than the start time .

Televise games at their original start time - whats the big deal with the current rules . It would affect attendances far less than sticking the games on a Monday night .

Maybe we should all watch the Burnley game in the pub and turn up with 15 minutes to go !! Haha

Somethings gotta change ....

I feel better now - thanks for reading if you got this far .

Going for a 3 - 1 Brighton tonight with a sending off and an own goal in there

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Still, look on the bright side: if you're a ticket holder who can't make it tonight due to being jerked around by Sky, the club will still thank you for coming :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
And also forgets the other lump sum we get from sky with the FL contract. We don't just get the 100k per game.

This, without doubt.

Sky are here to stay and, by the way, if they did decide tomorrow that China or Spain offers a broader appeal football in this country will implode, clubs like the Albion could not survive without the TV deal and the investment draw the the Premier League (& Money) offers.

Never has there been a better use for the term "don't bite the hand that feeds you", don't get me wrong I don't like Sky, I don't like all the money that is awash and being wasted in football and I certainly don't like the fact that our national team and national development seems to be getting worse as we build squads of cheaper foreign imports or to appeal to broader TV audiences.

Soon the dominant force in football will be grass roots as they'll be the only ones that'll survive a apocalypse football is heading for .... at pace!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think the point about season ticket holders is the most worrying for the club. We are in line to be on at least 8 times at home this season, that is way too many and with the associated disruption or the complete inability to go to rearranged matches, we may well lose a shedload of season ticket holders.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There is no compelling evidence that we make a loss from televised games.
Up to that point, a good read.

That's what I thought. I don't want to completely dismiss the OP's post, but the conclusion is anything but compelling as the figures are plucked from the air at best. I'd be amazed if the average match day spend per fan is £10 (and the profit margins won't be anywhere near that), and I'd also be surprised if the non-renewals are anything like 1000 more than the natural turnover - particularly after the excitement of this season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We keep getting put on Sky because we get high viewing figures (yes, more than Leeds) If you want less Sky games, Don't watch when we are on.

It's that simple.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On the catering point too, average spend of £10 is too high. Also Sodexho see that revenue, we merely get a 'commission' of this revenue

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
On the catering point too, average spend of £10 is too high. Also Sodexho see that revenue, we merely get a 'commission' of this revenue

Maybe but the majority of people I go with spend way more than a tenner each - two or three drinks a pic a program . Okay my figures are guess work - however I have a history of accurate guessing and an Accountancy qualification . Sorry the figures and long term impact of the Sky Deal dont make long term business sense for us as a club . I accept Sky are here to stay but think they need regulating or standing up to . Thats all

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unfortunately it's too lucrative for the clubs to turn down or fight against. I don't imagine we would be leading the charge especially with Paul Barbers position within the Football League. Certainly looked happy within the Royal Box at the Cup final yesterday !

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Maybe but the majority of people I go with spend way more than a tenner each - two or three drinks a pic a program . Okay my figures are guess work - however I have a history of accurate guessing and an Accountancy qualification . Sorry the figures and long term impact of the Sky Deal dont make long term business sense for us as a club . I accept Sky are here to stay but think they need regulating or standing up to . Thats all
Have a look at the clubs accounts then. We get roughly 5million from the TV deal I believe. It is certainly nowhere near where you're guessing at.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
. Okay my figures are guess work - however I have a history of accurate guessing and an Accountancy qualification .

Wow, no wonder so many companies have to rework their profit announcements if all accountancy is based on a history of guess work.

This just sounds like a gambler who overstates his winnings and understates his losses.

Looking at your figures in this light, we may as well just throw them in the bin as they have no validation other than your figure in the air.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tony Bloom gives us 10 million per season.

We can't begrudge him the odd 100K back in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here